Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 03:17 PM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times

Advertisements

Atlanta does this perfectly.

I adore this about Atlanta. A unique characteristic--and so damn beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 09:30 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,816,648 times
I don't know if it is still like that because it's been a few years since I have been to Las Vegas but on and off the strip was very striking.

People are mentioning ATL but the change in ATL is not unlike other Sunbelt cities. Vegas however felt like rapid change over a few blocks.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:39 PM

Most abrupt change between suburban and urban environment-ansley-park.jpg
Most abrupt change between suburban and urban environment-ansley-park-ii.jpg
Most abrupt change between suburban and urban environment-buckhead.jpg
Most abrupt change between suburban and urban environment-midtown-ii.jpg
Most abrupt change between suburban and urban environment-midtown.jpg
Most abrupt change between suburban and urban environment-midtown-skyline.jpg

Old 06-25-2019, 07:43 PM

Most abrupt change between suburban and urban environment-buckhead-ii.jpg
Most abrupt change between suburban and urban environment-buckhead-iii.png
Most abrupt change between suburban and urban environment-buckhead-iv.jpg
Most abrupt change between suburban and urban environment-midtown-iii.jpg

Old 06-25-2019, 08:15 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,364,334 times
I can't believe anyone has not mentioned the line between Detroit and Grosse Pointe. That is one of the most stark and shocking divides I have ever seen between urban and suburban, poor and affluent. All in one block.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I can't believe anyone has not mentioned the line between Detroit and Grosse Pointe. That is one of the most stark and shocking divides I have ever seen between urban and suburban, poor and affluent. All in one block.
Yes. Very true.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:43 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,975,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
The parts of Detroit next to the Grosse Pointes are only urban if you use the Michigander euphamism where urban just means poor, run-down, and black. In physical form that part of Detroit is suburban SFH. That area of Detroit had somewhat smaller lots and homes than the adjacent Grosse Pointes, but otherwise wasn't that diffetent in form or density. That part of Detroit is very car dependent. Now large swathes are empty lots reverting to an almost rural feel on the Detroit side. Grosse Pointe is the more urban now as far as density goes, since many blocks on the Detroit side only have a couple of houses left.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:41 AM

11,068 posts, read 12,466,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Euston St. on the Boston/Brookline border has to be up there: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3479...7i16384!8i8192

Spin around 360 degrees in that spot. Dense/urban looking towards Boston with an abrupt transition to single family homes. in the other direction.
Lots of streets in Brookline fit the bill, especially off Beacon.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
The parts of Detroit next to the Grosse Pointes are only urban if you use the Michigander euphamism where urban just means poor, run-down, and black. In physical form that part of Detroit is suburban SFH. That area of Detroit had somewhat smaller lots and homes than the adjacent Grosse Pointes, but otherwise wasn't that diffetent in form or density. That part of Detroit is very car dependent. Now large swathes are empty lots reverting to an almost rural feel on the Detroit side. Grosse Pointe is the more urban now as far as density goes, since many blocks on the Detroit side only have a couple of houses left.
Also true.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:25 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,472,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
That Burger King's days are numbered now too....

78-STORY TOWER GETS FINAL APPROVAL TO REPLACE BRICKELL BURGER KING

Miami’s Planning & Zoning Department has granted final approval for the proposed 18 tower in Brickell.
If built, the 960 foot tall / 78-story tower would have 392 residential units along with retail space, replacing a strip mall that includes Burger King across from Brickell City Centre.

http://i.imgur.com/xU1nkkH.jpg

Link : https://www.thenextmiami.com/78-stor...l-burger-king/

That's kinda sad. I mean, it may just be a Burger King, but BK is a Miami staple and idk how old that one is but I have a feeling its been there for quite some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.