Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 02:09 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times

Advertisements

I like San Francisco, Washington, Philadelphia, and Boston. Big enough to feel significant and offer a lot to see/do, dense/compact enough to be largely walkable and transit friendly, and small enough to escape for a day/weekend fairly easily.

I've lived in smaller (Portland, ME and Providence) and it's not for me. I'd live larger if given the opportunity (NYC, London, etc.), but I'm very comfortable with cities along these lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 03:19 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
My city, Santa Monica. Population about 100,000. I can walk to the beach and most amenities, yet close to DTLA, West side, LAX.
I feel like I should have restated and said metro instead of city. Because really it's the metro that you are enjoying many different amenities.

So would you say you like the size of the LA metro then?

Old 06-17-2019, 03:51 PM

2,655 posts, read 2,097,567 times
I'll say a city between 50K-70K pop.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:34 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I feel like I should have restated and said metro instead of city. Because really it's the metro that you are enjoying many different amenities.

So would you say you like the size of the LA metro then?
Yes... I love the hustle and bustle of LA. As I mentioned... I am in a great little city and in close proximity to
DTLA and the West Side.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:55 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I'll say a city between 50K-70K pop.
What would be some examples?

Old 06-17-2019, 05:15 PM

64 posts, read 84,930 times
Newer to Pittsburgh and I have to say, I honestly believe it's the right size for me. City proper of just over 300k (small-ish city limits) with a metro of around 2.5m. Nearly the entire city proper is made up of walkable, unique neighborhoods, each with their own business district. 3 major sports teams, plenty of museums, theaters, and events in general. There is enough to do that I don't think I'll ever be bored, yet small enough that getting around isn't overwhelming-- at least now. Navigating here was quite the struggle in my first month.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:43 PM

2,655 posts, read 2,097,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What would be some examples?
Ex: Gulfport comes to mind right now.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:57 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
I'm speaking on a metro basis. Extremely high density would be a deterrent for me (NYC, SF). I want some elbow room, personal space, and the generally better buying power that brings. There's really no limit on population being to high for me. Philly and Chicago would be fine. But I would want to be in a metro with major league pro sports, a theme park, water recreation of some sort, outdoor activities, and other unique recreational assets. I like the suburbs and the one I'm in (about 76k pop.). I have the property size I like, very peaceful/relaxing, but still have access to the central city (Charlotte) and its offerings.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:25 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Under 5000.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:45 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'd like a city of 50,000,000 in 200 square miles.

Figure utilities on the -5 level, deliveries on -4, transit on -3 and -2, and a second sidewalk on -1. Let the ground level be for people. Cars not allowed in the city.
Maybe you'd like Delhi??

I'm not on the whole "bigger is better bandwagon" for several reasons:

1. In a small town everybody knows everyone. In a huge metro, it's the opposite, nobody knows each others friends / coworkers / acquaintances. It's more isolating and harder to turn acquaintances into friends because you lack the shared connections and you don't bump into people you've made the effort to get to know nearly as often. It seems like you end up with 1000 acquaintances but few friends.

2. You may have great natural assets in the LA metro, but you're not going to fight rush hour traffic to get to them on a weekday and even once you're there, there's so many people you have no quiet space and they scare the wildlife away. In a smaller metro, it's much easier to quickly get out into nature, so consequently you end up in nature more often, even if that just means a walk around grandpa and grandmas 5 acres.

3. Air Pollution.

4. Growth is generally perceived as a positive instead of people bickering about how bad traffic is getting, how home prices are stifling, and how much dog crap there is around. I'd want to live in a place that will grow into the size I like versus move to an area that's the size I like then watch it grow too large.

I feel like a metro between 100,000-500,000 would be my ideal, big enough to have more things going on than only a quilting festival that weekend, but not so big as to hit Sunday evening traffic jams.

You don't need 4 million people to have a walkable and decent downtown. I hope America takes the urban achievements we've developed in our large cities and applies them to smaller ones instead of pursuing the model of having everyone in huge metros comprised of suburbs where you have to drive past everyone else's suburbs to get anywhere. Part of this has to do with the huge merger and acquisition phase we've had corporately, I hope that ends too. It seems that for the 21st century, large metros seem to perpetuate instead of lessen income and wealth inequality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.