Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 02:45 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times

Advertisements

Hey!

*So my wife and I are trying to decide if we are going to rent 1 more year or buy.

We are thinking of renting 1 more year and moving in 2 years to the South. The other option is renting a year and moving some where in New England.

Are reasoning isn't really tax related.

We are looking at North Carolina vs Connecticut.

Does anywhere in the North exist where you could find:

3 bedroom 2 bath for $300,000 or less?

Live near a small city of 200,000 or more people

Low property taxes

Possibly live in a planned community area

Be within 4 hours of the beach, 2 hours from a major City of 500,000 or more, have a lake within City limits or near City limits, and be close to State/National Park/s.

Find 2 bedroom rents for $1,000 or less close to a City and in a safe area.

Have a sales tax under 6%. Property taxes averaging $4,000 or less.

Have at least 3 to 4 colleges within the City.

Have access to museums within the City.

Be an hour away from a zoo and amusement park.

We found few areas in the South like this but couldn't recall any areas similar up North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 03:03 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hey!

*So my wife and I are trying to decide if we are going to rent 1 more year or buy.

We are thinking of renting 1 more year and moving in 2 years to the South. The other option is renting a year and moving some where in New England.

Low property taxes

Be within 4 hours of the beach, 2 hours from a major City of 500,000 or more, have a lake within City limits or near City limits, and be close to State/National Park/s.

We found few areas in the South like this but couldn't recall any areas similar up North.

New England and the North are different. For instance, NY & NJ are North but they are not New England states.

So are you asking about the North in general or specifically CT?

If money is not an issue, I would move to CT. But that's me. I don't like the South, I'm from NY and very partial to it.

CT & NC are very different.

CT has cities of all sizes but depending on where, it can be close in proximity to either NYC or Boston.

CT has a sales tax rate of 6.35%. Forget taxes under $4,000 … in CT not gonna happen, they have the 4th highest property taxes in the nation.

Depending on where in CT, Western CT for example is close to Rye Playland and the Bronx Zoo. There are beaches all along the Southern coast, on the Long Island Sound.

Not sure on rents but CT is not cheap so yeah if you do find anything for under $1,000 that's a 2 bedroom it will likely be in a terrible area or will need a lot of work … real estate is expensive in CT. Same with a home under $300k. Gonna be in a crap area and needing work.

CT has a ton of universities, including it's renowned state college system … ECSU, WCSU … as well as U of Bridgeport, Yale etc etc to name a few.

CT has many museums, there's a great aquarium in Norwalk and also you can take the Metro North into NYC for a daytrip where are a TON of museums.

CT has lakes.

Why would you think these things cannot be found in CT? Minus the real estate costs and taxes you are asking about, they have everything on this list, and does NY, NJ and many other Northern states. These things are not unique to NC or the South ...

Old 06-28-2019, 03:34 PM

Lived in CT for 32 years since I was born.

Really found Winston-Salem to peak my interest.

You have planned communities surrounding the city. Decentl school systems. You can live close to work. Houses aren't that high in cost in safe decent areas. You have access to a lot of amenities in one City where you have to go around in CT for. Higher education system is less expensive and has a smoother admission process than CT.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Lived in CT for 32 years since I was born.

Really found Winston-Salem to peak my interest.

You have planned communities surrounding the city. Decentl school systems. You can live close to work. Houses aren't that high in cost in safe decent areas. You have access to a lot of amenities in one City where you have to go around in CT for. Higher education system is less expensive and has a smoother admission process than CT.
So it seems like you want NC then which is fine but it’s absurd to think the North doesnt have these things.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:17 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
I’d do NC. Playing it thrifty in CT will get you in a less than desirable area even if colleges are around. Forget about a planned community near colleges that’s affordable.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
So it seems like you want NC then which is fine but it’s absurd to think the North doesnt have these things.
Idk

I mean we are going to visit the areas down South

Nothing against CT

I say there isn't anything affordable in this State where you can have access to a medium sized City, amusement park, museums, suburbs, colleges, zoo, parks, biking paths, and outdoor recreation areas within a City and Suburbs unfortunately.

Though most States are either smaller I'm comparison do can travel around without going far. Are large in size with many amenities surrounding populated aress.

Do appreciate the feedback!

Old 06-28-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Idk

I mean we are going to visit the areas down South

Nothing against CT

I say there isn't anything affordable in this State where you can have access to a medium sized City, amusement park, museums, suburbs, colleges, zoo, parks, biking paths, and outdoor recreation areas within a City and Suburbs unfortunately.

Though most States are either smaller I'm comparison do can travel around without going far. Are large in size with many amenities surrounding populated aress.
So you may have to drive a little further. I don’t see the problem.

NC weather sucks. Too hot & humid

Old 06-28-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
So you may have to drive a little. I don’t see the problem.
Just comparing apples and oranges

In doing research it seems Cities in the South seem to be center of amenities and activities. Where in the North it is spread out.

Same concept goes for work location.

That goes back to my original question is there anywhere in the North/New England area that can relate though?

Old 06-28-2019, 04:41 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Hey!

Low property taxes

Places in the Northeast that come pretty close are Buffalo and Rochester. Toronto is the major city that they are close to. Sales tax is a little bit higher, but you could find pretty much everything else in those 2 areas. I say that with the property taxes due to both areas having relatively lower median home prices.

In the Rochester area, Gananda in Wayne County and Riverton within the West Henrietta area of the town of Henrietta are a couple of HUD planned communities that go back to their start in the 1970’s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverton,_New_York (is actually south of the Rochester Institute of Technology campus)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gananda,_New_York

In terms of 4 year institutions, Buffalo just within city limits has the University at Buffalo(inc. it’s medical school), Canisius College, Medaille College, D’Youville College and Buffalo State College. Rochester has the University of Rochester(inc. its medical school) within the city, but multiple colleges besides RIT in the suburbs like St. John Fisher College, Nazareth College, Roberts Wesleyan College and SUNY-Brockport.

Amusement Parks between the 2 adjacent metros: https://www.sixflags.com/darienlake (in between the 2 cities)
https://seabreeze.com/
Fantasy Island - Amusement Park, Grand Island New York
https://www.roselandwaterpark.com/
In Niagara Falls Ontario: https://marineland.ca/

Rochester has 2 lakefront beaches in the city: https://www2.monroecounty.gov/parks-ontariobeach.php
https://www.cityofrochester.gov/durandbeach/

There are other state parks, including those with beaches near both cities as well: https://parks.ny.gov/parks/ (look up the Finger Lakes, Genesee, Allegany and Niagara regions)
A highly regarded state park in between the 2 cities: https://parks.ny.gov/parks/79/details.aspx

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-28-2019 at 04:54 PM..

Old 06-28-2019, 04:44 PM

I actually agree with that ^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.