Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 02:29 PM

91 posts, read 79,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Because they're more integrated with both white and black people. In NYC, there are both white/Hispanic neighborhoods and black/Hispanic neighborhoods. As well as mostly Hispanic neighborhoods without much of anyone else.
I think that in areas where the majority of whites are blue-collar working class whites, they integrate better with blacks/latinos (who are majority poor working class outside of a few metropolitan areas). Areas like Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Allentown, as well as parts of Upstate NY and even select parts of Philly/Baltimore (tho many parts of these 2 cities are very segregated)

Areas where majority of whites are white-collar middle class, they tend to avoid minorities at all costs, like in the DC area and Boston (and basically all of New England). Despite DC having alot of wealthy blacks.

New York City is America's melting pot, it has whites and minorities of all social classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 02:35 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconada View Post
I think that in areas where the majority of whites are blue-collar working class whites, they integrate better with blacks/latinos (who are majority poor working class outside of a few metropolitan areas). Areas like Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Allentown, as well as parts of Upstate NY and even select parts of Philly/Baltimore (tho many parts of these 2 cities are very segregated)

Areas where majority of whites are white-collar middle class, they tend to avoid minorities at all costs, like in the DC area and Boston (and basically all of New England). Despite DC having alot of wealthy blacks.

New York City is America's melting pot, it has whites and minorities of all social classes.
I don't think Allentown is a great example because it's been undergoing white flight for years. To my understanding, whites in the school system are a small minority.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:51 PM

1,094 posts, read 809,824 times
Quote:
White New Yorkers might be aware of the black neighborhoods, but it is still largely a different world. I don't think many white people participate in the Labor Day Parade, for instance. They also talk and dress completely different from black New Yorkers.
True, white Ny'ers are very different but not completely different after all I hear white Ny'ers complain about the city just as much black people do and usually about the same things: mta, traffic, cost of living, weather, etc. The white NY'ers who are happy with the city generally live in upscale yuppie areas like Astoria park slope, most of Matthan etc. Yes Black NY'ers dress different from Whites but that's shifting as black ny'ers are dressing less hip-hop and more preppy.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:07 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
The area I live in Baltimore has lots of working class whites. I see white boys in Jordan’s with tattoo sleeves, riding dirt bikes etc. mostly Hispanic around here then black but about 20% white. Sometimes I see it in Philly.

You would never see that in Boston.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
True, white Ny'ers are very different but not completely different after all I hear white Ny'ers complain about the city just as much black people do and usually about the same things: mta, traffic, cost of living, weather, etc. The white NY'ers who are happy with the city generally live in upscale yuppie areas like Astoria park slope, most of Matthan etc. Yes Black NY'ers dress different from Whites but that's shifting as black ny'ers are dressing less hip-hop and more preppy.
Peoplw complain about that type of thing eveywhere.

And while black fashion has moved away from baggy jeans and huge tee shirts, there's a clear difference between the way whites and non-hipster blacks dress and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The area I live in Baltimore has lots of working class whites. I see white boys in Jordan’s with tattoo sleeves, riding dirt bikes etc. mostly Hispanic around here then black but about 20% white. Sometimes I see it in Philly.

You don't see it in NYC either. The only white people who commonly wear Jordans are Albanians.

And is your neighborhood mostly Central Americans?

Old 07-12-2019, 03:41 PM

93,354 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Because they're more integrated with both white and black people. In NYC, there are both white/Hispanic neighborhoods and black/Hispanic neighborhoods. As well as mostly Hispanic neighborhoods without much of anyone else.
It also depends on the type of Hispanics, as it may be a matter of ethnicity/nationality and then even race within those nationalities.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:01 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconada View Post
Bwahaha! Do you really think that all white people in New England are white-collar and middle class, or are you just joking?

There are plenty of wealthy, white-collar, white people in and around Boston. This is partially because of the recent boom in biotech and other STEM industries in the area, partially because of the longtime, influential finance & investment companies that exists here, and also partially because of the old money that's lived in the area practically since the country's founding.

However, if you go out into central and western MA, or into eastern CT or western RI, or into NH you'll find plenty of working-class white people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Maybe not so much in Boston proper these days, but it's not hard to find a guy with that aesthetic in the area.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 07-12-2019 at 04:59 PM..

Old 07-12-2019, 04:05 PM

1,094 posts, read 809,824 times
Quote:
You don't see it in NYC either. The only white people who commonly wear Jordans are Albanians.

And is your neighborhood mostly Central Americans?
NYC blacks look down on Whites who try to dress or talk Black since hip hop originated in NYC as a way having their own voice without the fear of being taken over by whites like Rock and Jazz. Not to say all white people who wear jordans or listen to rap are acting "black" but it does come off that way to some. Here in NC, it's totally acceptable for white kids to listen to rap and wear Jordan's. Some of the whitest kids I know are into rap but yet don't try to act ghetto and speak general American slang. It's mostly due to a generation shift as being white and being into rap is no longer seen as a phase like it was in the 90s and 00s. Generation z whites are just trying to be goofy rather than being hardcore.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:05 PM

2,657 posts, read 2,102,720 times
Quote:
I could undesrtand that from a NYC point of view. Here in Tupelo, they tend to stick to themselves generally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.