Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 01:49 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Thankfully not too many in Chicago, or at least when you do see them they're mixed in with old building with good designs. With a few exception, I can't stand modern architecture.

Those condos though are prevalent in places like Phoenix and Salt Lake City, in my experience.
Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, DC and Boston are the largest cities cities that thankfully have many older more quality buildings, so its lessens negative impacts of the metal and vinyl clad shoeboxes. And Chicago is one of the few American cities where a lot of new construction is of actual or semi quality and thoughtful design.

The worst offenders for terrible "modern" architecture that I have seen are (in no order) Tampa, Orlando, Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, Raleigh, Denver. In many instances you couldn't tell one one city from another based on the built environments.

That is why I highly appreciate our older cities, even those that are facing rougher times still have a far superior built environment compared to anything we will see going forward.

I just hope the older American cities appreciate what they have because once its gone, its gone. And the United States unfortunately does not value historic buildings / architecture like its European counterparts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 02:03 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, DC and Boston are the largest cities cities that thankfully have many older more quality buildings, so its lessens negative impacts of the metal and vinyl clad shoeboxes. And Chicago is one of the few American cities where a lot of new construction is of actual or semi quality and thoughtful design.

The worst offenders for terrible "modern" architecture that I have seen are (in no order) Tampa, Orlando, Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, Raleigh, Denver. In many instances you couldn't tell one one city from another based on the built environments.

That is why I highly appreciate our older cities, even those that are facing rougher times still have a far superior built environment compared to anything we will see going forward.

I just hope the older American cities appreciate what they have because once its gone, its gone. And the United States unfortunately does not value historic buildings / architecture like its European counterparts.
People like to point to these other cities and say how they're urbanizing and improving and all. But there is a difference between living in a cheaply built toothpick building like the ones discussed hererin, and those older buildings in the long-established urban hubs of the US. The former are tacky, bland, repetitive, and house tons of chain stores/restaurants in their ground floor retail space. The latter have more character, are sturdier, and are generally more interspersed with local establishments on the ground floors.

I will say, though, cities are getting much better at integrating local establishments with these new-build "modern" apartment complexes. When they first started opening, they were full of just places like Starbucks, chain gyms, CVS, Five Guys, and local sports bar chains. But I do more regularly see independently-owned establishments, or at least small local chains. Idk if that's by design with cities encouraging these projects, or if it's because of the proliferation of these buildings making the ground floor retail more commonplace and available to the masses.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:05 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Here’s the thing: most postwar apartment construction has been subpar. They weren’t exactly making high-quality apartment buildings in the 70s. I don’t think anyone was realistically expecting a return to prewar construction standards, and I’d rather see these buildings than more subdivisions.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:18 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
....I’d rather see these buildings than more subdivisions.
Definitely agreed. Of the lesser of two cookie-cutter evils, at least these apartments don't take up as much space per person, and many of them are built in neighborhoods where you can at least walk to something more interesting.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:34 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
I do enjoy seeing the older apartment buildings in town with fallout shelter signs affixed to the side. I have the comfort in knowing when things go to hell I can just walk around the corner to a well built brick apartment building.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:25 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,457,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Our culture is largely incapable of constructing buildings with the same level of quality and style as older buildings.... Despite our technology, wealth, and easy access to knowledge. I'd much rather have a piece or land be left alone than have any current day developer put anything on it.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:48 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Most of what is being built in my area is cheaply built cookie cutter McMansion developments.

Everything in construction is done by the lowest bidder, fast and cheap. I spent a lot of years in the industry and a lot of workers were illegals, ex-cons, druggies and alcoholics. The less skill a given trade requires which means lower pay, the worse the workers will be.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:37 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,406,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Our culture is largely incapable of constructing buildings with the same level of quality and style as older buildings.... Despite our technology, wealth, and easy access to knowledge. I'd much rather have a piece or land be left alone than have any current day developer put anything on it.
Agreed. There's also some level of scarcity with historic homes/two flats/apartment buildings, because they really just don't make 'em like that anymore.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:11 AM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Here’s the thing: most postwar apartment construction has been subpar. They weren’t exactly making high-quality apartment buildings in the 70s. I don’t think anyone was realistically expecting a return to prewar construction standards, and I’d rather see these buildings than more subdivisions.
I disagree. Subdivisions mean home ownership and spacious surroundings. These buildings represent the race to the bottom.

I remember back in the day they showed the apartment blocs of Eastern Europe as examples of the low quality of life in communist societies. People squeezed together in tiny apartments. Replaceable worker ants. Now Americans are asked to move into buildings just like that and told its “progress”.

A place like Silver Spring with one ugly mega apartment complex next to another is utterly soulless and devoid of any character. Worse than any town made up of suburban subdivisions. In those, people at least know their neighbors, kids can play outside, theres yards for pets, gardens where people grow stuff. Instead you have phony walkability. I say phony because, unlike in say Midtown Manhattan or central Paris where high density makes sense and can be very pleasant, there’s nowhere to walk to of any note and many parts of regular life still require a car. Suburban density is the worst of all worlds.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:16 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,000,641 times
My building in NE Seattle looks like the third one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.