Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:41 PM

8 posts, read 21,223 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I grew up in Louisville, KY. I moved to New Orleans and lived there until a year ago. My fiance and I, along with our one year old daughter, currently live in the suburbs of Birmingham, AL. We hate it here. We are very liberal people, and the blatant racism and political climate of this area is stifling to us. He grew up here, so he knew what to expect, but I was a little naive about the area. I assumed since it was so close to a big city it wouldn't be so bad.

We are discussing moving in five or more years. We want to move to a "blue state". We would like it to have a warm climate with mild winters, if possible. We do not want to live too far away from some sort of major city. However, we need affordability and safety. Our budget will probably be about $50,000 for a house (we want to own).

The more I look, the more frustrated I get. At this point, I have all but given up. I think what we want is impossible. California's out, too expensive. NYC's out, too expensive and too dangerous. I was looking at Baltimore, but it seemed to be expensive too. We were also looking at Las Vegas. That's where my fiance wants to move...but it seems both expensive AND dangerous.

Does anyone have any advice for me? (Besides, "Give up!") Thank you ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 09:54 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsgates View Post
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I grew up in Louisville, KY. I moved to New Orleans and lived there until a year ago. My fiance and I, along with our one year old daughter, currently live in the suburbs of Birmingham, AL. We hate it here. We are very liberal people, and the blatant racism and political climate of this area is stifling to us. He grew up here, so he knew what to expect, but I was a little naive about the area. I assumed since it was so close to a big city it wouldn't be so bad.

We are discussing moving in five or more years. We want to move to a "blue state". We would like it to have a warm climate with mild winters, if possible. We do not want to live too far away from some sort of major city. However, we need affordability and safety. Our budget will probably be about $50,000 for a house (we want to own).

The more I look, the more frustrated I get. At this point, I have all but given up. I think what we want is impossible. California's out, too expensive. NYC's out, too expensive and too dangerous. I was looking at Baltimore, but it seemed to be expensive too. We were also looking at Las Vegas. That's where my fiance wants to move...but it seems both expensive AND dangerous.

Does anyone have any advice for me? (Besides, "Give up!") Thank you ahead of time.
That is a tall order.

I think you need to understand that any place you go is going to have elements that you like and dislike. You can go to a blue state, but there are still going to be lots and lots of bible-thumping Republicans there. You can go to the safest place in the country and there is still going to be *some* crime. Likewise, you can go to a red state and find people who are like minded and you can live in the very bowels of Detroit and if you are smart and careful, never be touched personally by crime.

You might consider the PNW - Seattle suburb maybe. But there is going to be crime there. (A friend of mine had her laptop stolen out of her car in Bellevue). They have murders, rapes, etc. But they are, I believe *very* liberal.

I live in the midwest as my handle would indicate, and even though this is a very conservative/religious area, you can still find little Democrate enclaves here and there. And they appreciate each other so much! LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-30-2009, 09:59 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
Well, Omaha could work for you, but we are very moderate leaning liberal as a city, as a state we are slightly more conservative.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:02 PM

8 posts, read 21,223 times
I understand that there will be people who do not agree with my politically, but I just have to get out of the deep south mainly. I can't stand hear the n word every day, even at the work place. Not only is it highly unprofessional, it's disgusting and it offends me to hear it.

Honestly, even though Louisville (my hometown) was in a red state, it was a blue city and I didn't really realize how good I had it until I moved. I don't want to move back, though. I just want to find someplace a little more urban; my fiance is the one more worried about safety.

My dream place to live has always been New York City. However, I just can't see that happening. We would not be able to afford it. I was looking at Staten Island, but my fiance read some article online about drug rings there and now is up in arms about moving there.

I just do NOT want to live in Alabama for too much longer.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Home prices in Portland, Oregon have dropped considerably since the home bust, but will no doubt start edging back up there. There's going to be crime in any larger city, but compared to places like New Orleans, Atlanta, and Baltimore, Portland would (to me) be considered "low crime". Plus they have a funky urban vibe, good public transit system, and you could take weekend trips to the Seattle or even Vancouver areas from that location, too. Now - $50,000? Well, I dunno about that. Maybe a very small very fixer-upper type place outside of the city proper. Only a realtor can help you with that.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:00 PM

208 posts, read 407,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsgates View Post

Hi Fallsgates,

Your post caught my attention because your criteria are almost identical to mine, except I don't have a family and a low crime rate is not a priority for me. I too, have been extremely frustrated in trying to find a warm climate, affordability and liberal attitudes, all in one place. As many here have said, (paraphrasing), it's probably going to involve some trade-offs.

I've not traveled as much as you but have spent so much time and energy in research that I feel like I may have spotted a few places that would interest you, as they have piqued my interest. First of all, I would generally agree with those here who have recommended Portland and Seattle. They are probably still too expensive for me and perhaps too cold but they may fit your needs better.

With regard to crime rates, I believe if you make it a point to be aware of your surroundings, plan ahead and think your way through potentially difficult places and situations, you can minimize the impact of a higher crime rate on your daily lives. While not in blue states, the following places appear to be liberal for their respective regions and match most of your other criteria, as well:
*Atlanta, GA - Especially the northeastern portions in De Kalb County.

*Charlottesville, VA - Cost of living is perhaps a bit too high, though and it is not really near to a large city.

*Raleigh, NC - Some of the smaller surrounding cities, such as Durham and Chapel Hill, offer many of the same advantages at a slightly lower cost.

*Charlotte, NC - Apparently, has a very strong economy combined with affordability.

Except for Atlanta, these places may not be what you would consider big cities and yet, when you combine their populations with those of other nearby cities, e.g., Charlotte, Gastonia and Concord, NC, you begin to realize that you're looking at a metropolitan area of significant size, albeit with larger and looser boundaries.

Dynamic economic growth and diverse types of industries have infused these places with an influx of new people, cultures and ideas, thus helping to keep them vibrant and less likely to suffer from the kind of stagnation you and I are trying to avoid.

I have also heard some good things about Charleston, SC, Johnson City, TN, Blacksburg, VA and perhaps, Winston-Salem, NC and am working to develop viable candidates in Virginia and Maryland near the Baltimore/D.C. areas but have not been able to identify affordable places in those latter areas yet.

From my experience living in a very conservative place all my life, conservatives tend to be very vocal, especially when they're in the majority but in the places I've mentioned above, I believe that if you maintain your liberal attitudes and make the effort to seek them out, you will be pleasantly surprised at the open-minded people you will encounter.

Again, I have not lived in these places myself and so, I would strongly suggest that you take the time and research them thoroughly but they look good to me and I'm umm....picky.

Here's wishing you success with your move!

Last edited by I. B. Trippin; 08-31-2009 at 10:18 PM..

Old 08-31-2009, 10:13 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
To the OP--you're being mistaken about NYC. It's one of the safest major cities. The suburbs are said to be some of the safest areas of the country. I know it's expensive and you've ruled it out, but I just wanted to let you know that the suburbs here have some of the lowest crime rates. Take it from me--I'm a small white girl who teaches in the south Bronx and travel through Harlem everyday, day and night. Nothing has ever happened to me.

Anyway, if you want to be close to NYC, the cheapest areas would be northeast PA and upstate NY (but you'd have to go more than 100 miles away from the city).

Old 09-01-2009, 09:37 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
I would have to disagree with suggesting the poster move to the Atlanta area. We have as of late been experiencing a crime wave through the area that is pretty bad, predominately in the inner city area but also in the suburbs (just being frank, here). While Atlanta-proper is more "blue", once you get to the outer suburban areas to avoid some of the above mentioned crime issues, then you are most definitely in more conservative/religious areas the polar opposite of Atlanta (city). Probably not what they want. Likewise, Charlotte while growing, is still overall a relatively conservative city and while crime there isn't the same as Atlanta, it's not exactly Mayberry, either.

Other considerations: Austin, Texas (more funky and not as conservative as other parts of Texas). Boise, Idaho (yes, Boise - not huge, but lots of Californians and west coasters have relocated there, so it's not a super conservative town, yet has low crime).

Old 09-01-2009, 09:38 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
^^But she wants to live in a blue state.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:47 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
hrrm.... why do u need to live in a blue state, not a blue area?

i would check out college towns or other southern metros...they are much better than birmingham...

nyc is great, but, you don't need to be that drastic to pull off what you want.

pretty much anywhere in the country outside of west coast and new england it is going to be pretty blue around the cities, pretty red outside... even in new york state this is the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.