Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2019, 08:40 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

In terms of urbanity and overall decent lifestyle, they're probably underrated. I live in Des Moines for a year. Good place, except for the miserable weather and topography, and it's so isolated. I wouldn't want to live there again.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 09:43 PM

561 posts, read 514,295 times
Default Be surprised by Omaha and the Great Plains no more!

This new video shows the urban density and core of my city, Omaha, in a very impressive way. Consider this, along with other Great Plains cities, if your looking to explore urban density outside of the usual-

https://youtu.be/L1NoYkemKHY

Enjoy!

Old 09-28-2019, 08:48 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Taking a step back from the large cities, the small and medium cities of the plains are much more urban than their western counterparts. Downtown Cedar Rapids almost competes with downtown Colorado Springs even though it's 1/3 the size. I think there's 2 factors for this, 1. it's a lot easier develop on a prairie and 2. People aren't craving their 'house in the woods'. If you look at cities in the west, a large chunk of the population is in these rather spread out housing developments up in the hills / mountainsides. They are often beautiful, but they aren't urban. Also, one of the best things about cities on the Plains is they are much cleaner than cities further south or west.

Somewhat unrelated, why do so many cities on the plains like Grand Island and Wichita have these weird small polygonal lakes? Do they just appear from digging a hole in the ground so developers create them to make a sort of water park for their subdivision?

Old 09-29-2019, 07:03 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Taking a step back from the large cities, the small and medium cities of the plains are much more urban than their western counterparts. Downtown Cedar Rapids almost competes with downtown Colorado Springs even though it's 1/3 the size. I think there's 2 factors for this, 1. it's a lot easier develop on a prairie and 2. People aren't craving their 'house in the woods'. If you look at cities in the west, a large chunk of the population is in these rather spread out housing developments up in the hills / mountainsides. They are often beautiful, but they aren't urban. Also, one of the best things about cities on the Plains is they are much cleaner than cities further south or west.

Somewhat unrelated, why do so many cities on the plains like Grand Island and Wichita have these weird small polygonal lakes? Do they just appear from digging a hole in the ground so developers create them to make a sort of water park for their subdivision?
They're borrow pits. They dug dirt out of the ground to build up the interstate ramps, and then turned the pit into man made lake.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:41 AM

115 posts, read 101,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

Before I saw your comment I was thinking how Colorado Springs isn't considered a plains city but Denver is even though CS is slightly more east and annexed parts of the city are in the plains.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:10 PM

375 posts, read 800,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree many are underrated. Besides Omaha and those cities already mentioned you also have Des Moines and Wichita.
Is Des Moines on the great plains? Just visited recently. It certainly is on the prairie but it didn't seem as "western" as Omaha or KC. More related to places east. But it also has a different history. Des Moines is more the center of Iowa. State capitol, largest city, the big economic hub. Built more on insurance and state government where as Omaha and KC were meatpacking centers and also served an area that went quite further west.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:11 PM

375 posts, read 800,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
A simple but limited way to gauge urbanity is by how much people drive their own cars. A highly urban area will always have much less personal car use. but, as it is, there's not really good statistics on this and you pretty much have to go by anecdotal evidence still, I think
In that case then, Omaha isn't very urban. You need a car to get anywhere in town. Same with KC, Des Moines, even the twin cities.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:23 PM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
Is Des Moines on the great plains? Just visited recently. It certainly is on the prairie but it didn't seem as "western" as Omaha or KC. More related to places east. But it also has a different history. Des Moines is more the center of Iowa. State capitol, largest city, the big economic hub. Built more on insurance and state government where as Omaha and KC were meatpacking centers and also served an area that went quite further west.
Des Moines is much more linked to Omaha and KC than Chicago or Minneapolis. Des Moines and Omaha are as similar as two separate metros can get. There's a large meat packing facility in east Des Moines. Omaha has a lot of finance and insurance. Similar size. Both have growing tech sectors. Just a lot of similarities. Kansas City is easily the closest large metro. Twice as close Minneapolis, and Chicago is farther than that. When I lived in Des Moines (08-12), there was a lot of people going back and forth between it, KC, and Omaha. The Silicon Prairie explosion is further tying them together.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/silicon...entrepreneurs/

And using the EPA definition, its on the Plains. Some people say the 100th Meridian is where the Plains starts, and that would put none of the 3 on the Great Plains.

https://www.epa.gov/eco-research/eco...-north-america

Old 09-30-2019, 06:59 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
They're borrow pits. They dug dirt out of the ground to build up the interstate ramps, and then turned the pit into man made lake.
Ah, that makes sense. Kind of interesting how you can dig a hole and a lake forms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyoung View Post
Before I saw your comment I was thinking how Colorado Springs isn't considered a plains city but Denver is even though CS is slightly more east and annexed parts of the city are in the plains.

It is further east, but it's actually closer to the mountains than Denver is, as the Rockies kind of move northwest through Colorado. Denver is more 'plainsy' than COS in that it's further out on the grassland, there's actually farming around it, the oil and gas section is based in the plains... but its still a mountain city, because that's where people spend their time and what people visit for.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:28 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
As was mentioned upthread, I can't think of a single urban neighborhood anywhere in the Great Plains.

I'll admit that this is in part because of my own feelings regarding what "urbanity" means. Urban to me does not mean tall buildings in a CBD. It means tightly-packed, traditional urban neighborhoods with walkable commercial districts.

Some of the Plains cities have a fair number of historic commercial buildings remaining in their downtown area, and even some small stands of prewar commercial buildings outside of their CBD. However, for the most part these areas are surrounded by seas of parking lots, and basically every residential neighborhood (even those closest to downtown) are dominated by detached single-family homes with yards, relatively generously spaced, making them functionally speaking suburban.

There are a handful of exceptions of course - places like Westside North in Kansas City. But they are few and far between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.