Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 01:08 PM

1,094 posts, read 809,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Florida south of Jacksonville is discounted because it's basically North Cuba.
Only south FL is really Cuban. Parts of Central Florida is southern as well. SW FL (Naples) seem to be what Miami use to be pre Cuban explosion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I mean regional culture has always had its place. We are a large country and the culture was built piecemeal. Due to a rather delayed of the immigration waves that hit the rest of the country harder, the South likely retained more aspects of its culture for longer than most places. There is more to it than just that, but that’s a large part.
Yeah people don't normally view the south as a multi-ethnic region that's why Florida south of i-4 or Virginia north of i-64 is so easily dismissed. With many Southern states growing with Hispanics I wonder if Hispanics and even Asians will have their own style of southern. The south isn't too far from Mexico and Texas literary borders Mexico. Asians have been flooding some southern states especially Virginia. NC Hispanics are mostly immigrants but those who were born and raised here (mainly those under 20) have a pretty noticeable southern accent.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:57 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
My mom grew up Hispanic in the South in the 60s and 70s. Her dad came here for university from Mexico. She said since the Hispanic population was so small, assimilation was the default mode for her parents, and she never really felt like an outsider. She said it changed when she moved to LA in high school. She said she constantly felt eyes on her because some form of racism was apparent. Cruel world that the larger the minority, the easier it became to separate out as ‘other’.

But the South has changed since then. Assimilation is practiced more forcefully by the younger generation, who serve as the cultural bridge for their parents.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:07 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,833 times
There are many ways I’ve seen folks think about “the South” in my travels and living arrangements around the country and world. I have found the historical and cultural aspects being more of a driver than census defined geographic. For those with the least exposure to the people living across the South, historical and media stereotypes seemed to take the lead. The more exposure to the people (in all its diversity across the geography), the more distinction and appreciation of culture and its variety can be seen. People sure love to group folks together, that’s for sure.

I find this topic fascinating. My family has deep historical southern roots from NC, Tennessee, Texas, and the New Orleans area. I myself was born and raised in Atlanta, and now reside in Raleigh, after living and traveling all over. This has always been a good topic of discussion, especially in Southern city cultural melting pots with lots of transplants...

For more modern “branding” examples of the South, one needs not look far from where I live and grew up—Belk, with its “Modern, Southern, Style.” Atlanta branded itself as the Capital of the New South, and “The City too busy to Hate...”. The 1996 Olympics opened quite a number of International eyes.

That said, I wanted to share a few links that I found to be a good read or something to ponder (as I enjoy the greatest invention to ever change to evolution of the South—Air Conditioning...).

Here is one discussion I found interesting:

https://www.businessinsider.com/regi...-states-2018-1

Wikipedia had a pretty good article as well:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult..._United_States

Here is another (attached) slice and dice map I stumbled upon:
Attached Thumbnails
Has Southern become more of a brand than an actual reigion-09850bf1-5868-4250-a956-a3faea7b1f4d.jpeg  

Old 08-28-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
My mom grew up Hispanic in the South in the 60s and 70s. Her dad came here for university from Mexico. She said since the Hispanic population was so small, assimilation was the default mode for her parents, and she never really felt like an outsider. She said it changed when she moved to LA in high school. She said she constantly felt eyes on her because some form of racism was apparent. Cruel world that the larger the minority, the easier it became to separate out as ‘other’.

But the South has changed since then. Assimilation is practiced more forcefully by the younger generation, who serve as the cultural bridge for their parents.
Where in the south? Texas and Louisiana are pretty cosmopolitan but I can see you having a hard time in a state like Alabama.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:28 PM

27 posts, read 18,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I would say it is mainly people outside of the south big on labeling us as southern and trying to impose group traits on people living here.
I notice you try to separate your state and region from the south. Ain’t nothing wrong withbeig southern. Be proud

Old 08-28-2019, 05:14 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
I notice you try to separate your state and region from the south. Ain’t nothing wrong withbeig southern. Be proud
I never said there is anything wrong with being 'southern'. There's also no reason to be 'proud' about living in a certain area of a country. I like living in SC but I don't see any connection to pride about it.

My point is I don't see the point in defining people by what geographic region of the country they live in.

I lived up north for a few years and I didn't think the 'culture' was different from the 'The South'.

It is funny to me how many people will bring up slavery and segregation, etc, when talking about the south today.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I never said there is anything wrong with being 'southern'. There's also no reason to be 'proud' about living in a certain area of a country. I like living in SC but I don't see any connection to pride about it.

My point is I don't see the point in defining people by what geographic region of the country they live in.

I lived up north for a few years and I didn't think the 'culture' was different from the 'The South'.

It is funny to me how many people will bring up slavery and segregation, etc, when talking about the south today.
Ain’t nothing wrong with having regional pride. What’s worse than a northerner looking down upon us is a southerner who is ashamed to be southern. I am proud to be southern ain’t got nothing against northerners but there’s a reason I live in Nashville and not Boston. Be proud. Don’t try to say we just like the north because we ain’t and let’s keep it that way.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
There's farmland all over the country and the southern states have been industrialized for a long time.
This just like saying “I saw a Dallas cowboys fan” in Detroit. Detroit just like Texas. It’s not. Idk why you are trying to associate us with the north. Is there migration sure. But just because I see a trump sticker in Minneapolis does not mean it is in the heart of Dixie

Old 08-29-2019, 06:02 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,396,408 times
There are reasons why New Orleans has been seen by some as a place in the South which is not of the South. It's the only city in the South with a significant black population where the majority of the white population has been more Catholic instead of Protestant, that became a destination for the same European immigrants who flooded urban area's of the northeast and upper midwest, and also the city in America where the Sicilian Mafia first established roots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.