Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 07:02 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,449,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And for the folks who live in suburban ethnic enclaves, they obviously prefer that setup so that's not really saying much.
I am a bit confused, because we are talking about "big city amenities" listed as criteria in the OP/thread title. Suburban ethnic enclaves would be... suburban amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
You can get many of those things in smaller urban/niche cities too, but typically they aren't going to have (as many of) the things that *I* truly consider to be big city amenities like major league professional sports, a wide variety of high-end shopping and dining options, major concerts/special events (and the types of venues that host them), a major airport, etc. As a point of comparison, while a city like New Orleans obviously has big city amenities--more than most cities its size in fact--it doesn't have more than Houston but according to your criteria, it seems like you'd argue the opposite.
They don't have the things that I consider to be big city amenities, for which I have already listed some criteria.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:20 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I am a bit confused, because we are talking about "big city amenities" listed as criteria in the OP/thread title. Suburban ethnic enclaves would be... suburban amenities.
Big city amenities can be located in the suburbs. You don't think of KOP as a big city amenity???

Old 09-11-2019, 05:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Lifestyle is a big factor. If you typically walk from your air conditioned house to your air conditioned car, then 93° is tolerable. If you’re active outdoors, 85+ is oppressively hot.
To each his or her own. I'm often working out in my yard when it's in the 90s. Yes, it's hot but so what - that's what iced tea and AC is for when I'm done!

I just don't consider it to be oppressively hot unless it's above about 95 degrees or so. YMMV.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Big city amenities can be located in the suburbs. You don't think of KOP as a big city amenity???
A big city amenity is having the neighborhood built environment, businesses and services that I have already described.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
A big city amenity is having the neighborhood built environment, businesses and services that I have already described.
That's not an exhaustive list though. You couldn't find KOP in anything but a big city.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
That's not an exhaustive list though. You couldn't find KOP in anything but a big city.
KoP is in a big metro. The city of KoP has a population of about 20K. My argument is that to qualify as a "big city amenity," it has to be a feature or facility exclusive to, well, a big city. The features and facilities in the types of neighborhoods I described qualify as big city amenities, because they are exclusive to big cities. For other amenities, you could call them names such as "mid-sized city amenities," "small city amenities," "suburban amenities" or just "amenities."

Old 09-12-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
KoP is in a big metro. The city of KoP has a population of about 20K. My argument is that to qualify as a "big city amenity," it has to be a feature or facility exclusive to, well, a big city. The features and facilities in the types of neighborhoods I described qualify as big city amenities, because they are exclusive to big cities. For other amenities, you could call them names such as "mid-sized city amenities," "small city amenities," "suburban amenities" or just "amenities."
Big city or big metro amenity is basically saying the same thing. All big city amenities are not within the big city proper. It's not 1900 anymore; we live in a metropolitan society now. That's why I used the word "arbitrary" in my first response to you in this thread.

It could also be argued that what you're referring to are urban amenities and not necessarily big city amenities since big cities can be mostly urban (pedestrian friendly) or mostly suburban (automobile friendly) in terms of their built environment. But I feel like we've beat that dead horse enough times on this forum.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:50 PM

101 posts, read 80,582 times
Quote:
The list of US cities with “big city amenities” is pretty short. Not sure if Miami and Atlanta really make the cut, but definitely not Phoenix or Detroit. I guess we all have different definitions of the term.
Quote:
What "big city amenities" are Miami, Atlanta, Phoenix, and Detroit missing? I feel as though your list is probably quite arbitrary in this regard.
Yep ... here in Phoenix we have a small Walmart, a couple of diners, and two grocery stores, but in the nation's 5th largest city with a metro area of about 5 million people we somehow just make it work. Although, I have heard rumors that sometime next month the Internet may finally get installed within the metro area.

Despite all that, we have been growing at a pretty fast clip adding around 200 people per day to the population ... we may just need to step it up and get us some of those "big city amenities" everyone on here talks about.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Big city or big metro amenity is basically saying the same thing. All big city amenities are not within the big city proper. It's not 1900 anymore; we live in a metropolitan society now. That's why I used the word "arbitrary" in my first response to you in this thread.

It could also be argued that what you're referring to are urban amenities and not necessarily big city amenities since big cities can be mostly urban (pedestrian friendly) or mostly suburban (automobile friendly) in terms of their built environment. But I feel like we've beat that dead horse enough times on this forum.
It actually does matter and is not arbitrary. Many people in my own city live carless and have no interest in venturing to the suburbs. The distinction between city proper and metro is a big deal in many levels here.

At this point we are just debating nomenclature which gets really old. Point is, I was surprised by what people were counting as “big city amenities.” In my view these should be amenities specific to big cities, not something you can find in most mid-sized or small cities. For example, Destiny USA and Mall of America are both in smaller/mid-sized cities, and KoP is in a big metro. And some of the suggested cities like Milwaukee and Pittsburgh, as much as I like them, definitely qualify as having mid sized city amenities. I personally think Miami and Atlanta are kind of in an inbetween in approaching big city status, Miami in particular feeling big due to its skyline, but I will admit I am biased toward urban cities. I think the distinction between urban amenities and big city amenities you draw is useful, because I would never call LA mid sized although it lacks some urban amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.