Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2006, 10:28 AM

12 posts, read 43,219 times

Advertisements

I'm leaving the day after x-mas for Denver, from the Springfield, Mass (the western part of the state) area.
The majority of directions I'm getting from online driving sites send me up through Buffalo. I'm really concerned about that route in the winter, with the lake affect storms that potentially creep up. There is a route that takes me south through Hartford and over through Pennsylvania. It IS a little longer, and this will be my first full day of driving. I am giving myself five days but I cant afford to get snow-bound - which I know is impossible to predict. But I'm looking for some practical advice from people who have driven from the east coast west - wherever your final destination. It seems I am going through Chicago, Iowa, Nebraska. However else you figure it that seems the best route. So I really need some advice on Mass out to the midwest....
Thanks SO SO SO much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 08:14 PM

5,766 posts, read 11,381,748 times
If you are driving the interstates you could make it it about 3, driving 650 miles a day @ 10 hours a day on the road. It might take more if you are stuck in traffic headed through CT and NJ while making your way down towards I-78 to get to Harrisburg PA. You know how to get to Hartford, right? Go to "Google Maps" website and do a map search and type in "Hartford to Kansas City". This route takes you across southern PA on the PA turnpike. I'm not going to write the details cause Google map tells it all. From KC to Denver its a straight line west, about 600 miles. I say it's two days from MA to Columbia, MO and one day long day from there to Denver, assuming no storms or snow on the road.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:08 PM

12 posts, read 43,219 times
Default So avoid Chicago too?

I saw the route through kansas too, and if i remember correctly without looking it up again, it's a few hundred miles longer that way. I can do it in 3 days but realisticcally, I'm driving a loaded up vehicle and I'm going to take it on the easy side and do it in 3-4. I also dont want to pull in to town at midnight either, since I'll be unpacking.

So do you have experience in driving acroos the midwest? Do you agree that Buffalo is best to be avoided this time of year?

THANKS!!!

Old 02-09-2007, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,615 times
Default Jenn, how did it go?

Jenn, I'm about to make the same decision- I'm driving from Boston to L.A., but am stopping to see friends in Boulder, CO. Buffalo seems sketchy in winter, I agree. What did you end up doing? I'd love some advice!
Best, Jillian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.