Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2019, 10:03 AM

18 posts, read 181,874 times

Advertisements

I want LOW humidity (currently live in Baltimore area) area with mountain views but do worry about the climate and water scarcity in drier areas. I am liberal and live in a conservative county and I have conservative friends and family but need some balance. I am a bit of a foodie but beyond that hiking, biking and being outdoors is the way to go. I have often thought about New Mexico, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Colorado but I think the major cities can be quite pricey. Maybe a suburb or rural area within an hour of one of the major cities? I am not sure about home costs because it would all depend on jobs and would love to step back from the 'rat race' so something under $250k I guess but less would be better and could get a 2-3br home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 10:41 AM

16,092 posts, read 10,757,764 times
I live about 15 miles north of Albuquerque in a sparsely developed area of Rio Rancho (3rd largest city in NM). I love living in the high desert but I can be in the mountains in about 45 minutes and I see five mountain ranges from my house. Humidity is single digits many days and the sun shines every day. It is a near perfect four season climate. Your house budget seems reasonable.

It is not for everybody. The desert is vastly different from the eastern seaboard and some people can't embrace the change. This is the land of manana and somewhat slow paced. Diversity is our thing with a mix of cultures and multiple languages. NM is a blue state but with conservative (and libertarian) threads running through the fabric.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:43 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
Unless you're willing to live someplace like Pueblo you're not likely to find something close to both mountains and jobs in the Front Range for $250k.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:52 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,523,945 times
Haywood County and Madison County outside of Asheville, NC could be an option. The whole area is just gorgeous. Asheville itself is a bit expensive, but Haywood and Madison are a good bit more affordable. Asheville is pretty liberal and those 2 counties are conservative, but there's good balance in the metro as a whole. My wife and I are conservative and day trip to Asheville very often. The whole area has a great vibe. People of different beliefs are friendly and get along quite well. Very refreshing to experience. Good luck wherever you land!

Old 10-17-2019, 12:53 PM

130 posts, read 86,642 times
I live in SLC and I’m also Liberal, it’s quite liberal in SLC especially compared to the surrounding areas. The mountains here are amazing, whenever I’m traveling I can’t wait to come home. For outdoor recreation there are very few places that even come close to SLC. I don’t think you’re going to find a house here for $250k, possibly a fixer upper in a less desirable neighborhood. I’d consider Ogden, it’s about 40 minutes from downtown SLC, homes are definitely cheaper there. I really enjoy Ogden and would consider living there at some point.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:22 PM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
A possible sleeper is Plattsburgh NY, which is an hour south of Montreal, close to the Adirondack and Green Mountains, as well as a steady economy. It also had a mayor not too long ago that was openly gay and has 2 and 4 year colleges within the city. It also has its own muncipal beach on Lake Champlain. //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...secret-ny.html

Has nice picture of the city and Adirondacks in the background: Community Development | Plattsburgh, NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.