Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 09:49 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times

Advertisements

Interesting. It is true that a place is "hipster" before it is universally acclaimed as such. By the time it is publicly known that a place is "in," it is usually overran by the "yuppie" and "commercial branding" set. A prime example is Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

Back in the late 90s/early 2000s, it was such a hipster spot due to low rent, incredible loft/warehouse space for cheap, artist haven, and proximity to Manhattan. It was a gritty, mostly undesirable neighborhood back then.

Now, forget it. One of NYC's most expensive neighborhoods, and now has become a brand, in and of itself.

I would say in Tennessee, the city that is under the radar still and attracts artists, creativity, and has incredible culture, is Memphis. This is changing, as development and redevelopment has been gaining more and more steam over the last 5 years, but there are still somewhat gritty parts of the city, and rent is mostly still very low and cheap. There is a cultural, artistic, soulful & spiritual vibe still in Memphis, and a feeling that it has not yet been discovered, in some areas. It still has that sort of magic to it.

It's what Nashville had back in its early days, the 80s/90s. Today it's blown up and has gone from hipsterville to trendyville. And expensive to boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 10:06 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
Eugene, Oregon is by far the most hipster city in the state. Bend is also pretty hipster, but also has a lot of cowboys.

My wife says Portland, but I don't buy it.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:42 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Interesting. It is true that a place is "hipster" before it is universally acclaimed as such. By the time it is publicly known that a place is "in," it is usually overran by the "yuppie" and "commercial branding" set. A prime example is Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

Back in the late 90s/early 2000s, it was such a hipster spot due to low rent, incredible loft/warehouse space for cheap, artist haven, and proximity to Manhattan. It was a gritty, mostly undesirable neighborhood back then.

Now, forget it. One of NYC's most expensive neighborhoods, and now has become a brand, in and of itself.

I would say in Tennessee, the city that is under the radar still and attracts artists, creativity, and has incredible culture, is Memphis. This is changing, as development and redevelopment has been gaining more and more steam over the last 5 years, but there are still somewhat gritty parts of the city, and rent is mostly still very low and cheap. There is a cultural, artistic, soulful & spiritual vibe still in Memphis, and a feeling that it has not yet been discovered, in some areas. It still has that sort of magic to it.

It's what Nashville had back in its early days, the 80s/90s. Today it's blown up and has gone from hipsterville to trendyville. And expensive to boot.
Yes, no doubt there are many types of hipster. True hipster tends to be an up and coming gentrifying neighborhood, as opposed to the pseudo touristy Instagram worthy established neighborhoods. These can still be hipster in my eyes, but to your point, it's more yuppie/hipster (which I would define myself as, I'm a bit turned off by the grungy/not yet there aesthetic to some of the up and comer areas)

Old 11-01-2019, 02:10 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Cambridge or anywhere in Western Mass near Amherst is pretty hipstery.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:19 PM

23,543 posts, read 24,041,250 times
San Diego and San Francisco.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:23 PM

6,382 posts, read 5,006,598 times
Tacoma seems to be where it's at in Washington these days. South Seattle, too.

Our anti-hipster city, in the sense of an urban area with a lot of young people that nevertheless lacks much visible counterculture (real or manufactured), would be Bellevue.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:23 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Northampton (or “NoHo”, as I’ve heard it called. *shudders*)

For clarity: I love the city. I just hate the nickname.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:44 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I just watched a video on most hipster cities in each state. Some of the answers were obvious but others a bit surprising. Like the North Carolina answer being Carrboro instead of Ashville and the NJ guy just flat out saying there are no hipsters. Here's the link https://youtu.be/M__48gtEWng
Austin i would assume

Old 11-01-2019, 05:13 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
San Diego and San Francisco.
Don’t know about SD, but SF’s hipster days are long gone, largely because the tech thing has made housing in the city so insanely expensive. The young people in nearby Berkeley seem mostly UC students aiming to make money in tech, law, finance, medicine, etc. The hipsters and such seem there, but nothing like a generation ago. I think Bay Area hipsterdom is probably in Oakland now, though I understand it is also getting pricey.

I don’t get to SoCal much, so cannot say what the hip neighborhoods are in LA or SD.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:26 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

Yeah, Bushwick and Ridgewood are where you find the true hipster vibe. The fact that outsiders know about Williamsburg means its done.
Though, Bushwick does get a lot of tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.