Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CA, OR, WA secession, yes or no?
Yes 23 30.26%
No 53 69.74%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 05:23 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
In Washington, the urban areas subsidize the rural areas. I suspect it's the same way in Oregon. A county with 20,000 people doesn't generate that much revenue, but might have massive amounts of infrastructure per capita.
Not true in Washington....do you want me to mail you the spreadsheet??? A county with 20,000 people might not generate much revenue, but neither to they require much in state services.

It is a push.

I have not done an analysis for eastern Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 06:21 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Yes, please let's see that spreadsheet. Show what the roads, utilities, etc., cost per capita when spread out a 10 people per square mile.

In a few minutes of looking, here's a somewhat old example of the huge divide...urban areas subsidizing rural areas in Washington: https://www.seattlepi.com/local/arti...hat-969099.php

Old 11-05-2019, 10:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The ports belong to the cities in which they are located, they are not owned by the federal govt. Same with airports.

As far as military, George HW Bush, Bill Clinton and George W Bush cut military and military defense contract spending and presence by way more than half in California.

Again, I don't understand why this has to be confrontational.
Not necessarily, in fact the Port of Seattle belongs to the citizens of King County, not Seattle. The port of Tacoma belongs to the citizens of Pierce County, not Tacoma. The Northwest Seaport Alliance between those two ports belongs to the two counties. The Port of Portland Oregon belongs to Multnomah, Washington, and Clackamas counties, not to Portland. The Port of San Francisco belongs to the City and County of San Francisco. The Port of Oakland is an example of a Port run by a city.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:11 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not necessarily, in fact the Port of Seattle belongs to the citizens of King County, not Seattle. The port of Tacoma belongs to the citizens of Pierce County, not Tacoma. The Northwest Seaport Alliance between those two ports belongs to the two counties. The Port of Portland Oregon belongs to Multnomah, Washington, and Clackamas counties, not to Portland. The Port of San Francisco belongs to the City and County of San Francisco. The Port of Oakland is an example of a Port run by a city.
Well yes, the point is none of those ports is owned and/or operated by the federal govt, which the person I was replying to seems to think otherwise, hence his assertion that the US would 'destroy' them upon their departure because he think the US owns them like military bases, which is false.

They are all owned and operated by local jurisdictions, and SF city and county is one in the same.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:46 PM

The ports are separate governments with their own elected leaders, but the basic point is true.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:07 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,140 times
The whole US needs to be destroyed. It's a failed experiment.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:57 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Yes, please let's see that spreadsheet. Show what the roads, utilities, etc., cost per capita when spread out a 10 people per square mile.

In a few minutes of looking, here's a somewhat old example of the huge divide...urban areas subsidizing rural areas in Washington: https://www.seattlepi.com/local/arti...hat-969099.php
Thanks for the article link...it is outdated.

But the article does make a point that KING county does generate lots of state taxes (except for transportation taxes). That is correct...

BUT....from the 2014 OFM study, by county for each dollar in state taxes paid, the return to the county.

Garfield.........29%
Columbia.......44%

And in third place King County at 46%....as noted above does not include transportation taxes.

What changed between 2011 and 2014 is that Washingtons state law change for mail order sales taxes. In 2011, the sales taxes were paid to counties where the business was located, in 2014 the sale taxes were paid were the consumer lived.

Most urban folks assume that rural folks receive the same level of state services that they do. In most rural areas, the state of Washington is missing in action....wait they flat out deserted from the battlefield.

I lived in Stevens County in the early 1980's when the "official" unemployment rate was 25%. Yep, 25%. The state of Washington response to a 25% unemployment rate??? They closed the unemployment office!!! I guess they just flat out gave up???....

Urban areas in Washington state WOULD pay the lions share of taxes, EXCEPT, since the 1980's the Democrats have EXEMPTED most CORPORATIONS from paying any significant state taxes.

According the OFM something like 80% of Washington state taxes are paid by consumers (sales taxes) and small business (B&O taxes).

Those are PER CAPITA taxes, so rural areas tend to pay those in the same proportion to urban areas.

The exception is King County.....the state of Washington really needs to examine why small business and consumers pay such a large share of Washington state taxes. I suspect it is because King County residents are RICH relative to the rest of the state.

Top "welfare" county in Washington state....Thurston. BTW....Pierce and Spokane counties are both urban welfare counties.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:56 PM

So you must be in favor of switching a lot of those sales taxes to an income tax then. If you're a republican, please talk to your leaders...they're the ones in the way.

As for the rest, if you have unbiased sources, please share them. There are some gop talking points in there.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:14 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
I think we would be better off realigning ourselves with Canada. Certainly the Seattle metro has more in common with Canada, especially Vancouver, than the rest of the country.

Old 11-10-2019, 12:57 AM

9 posts, read 6,907 times
I no longer live on the west coast, but I've never heard anyone there that wanted this. Perhaps a few libertarian types in the stix of the pacific northwest could feel that way I guess. Seems more like something the rest of the nation assumes due to the difference in politics, economics, housing prices, tech industry, etc. Those things may make it possible, but I doubt many people in that region really feel that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.