Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 05:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,109,064 times

Advertisements

I am glad that my dogs get the run of nearly half an acre instead of a small fenced area. That's the main reason for fences around here - most people have at least one dog and we all let these dogs out. We also don't want other critters in our yards - there are coyotes and wild pigs around here. Good fences keep them out of yards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 08:03 PM

668 posts, read 473,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Outside of inner cities, many parts of the Midwest are remarkably safe and no one is likely to mess with you or be weird about snooping on you.

So i'm assuming very few people own pools in the midwest? That and dogs are the main reasons for having one in the Northeast.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:14 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,902,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
So i'm assuming very few people own pools in the midwest? That and dogs are the main reasons for having one in the Northeast.
Of course there are pools, but many people go to a pool to swim, not have one in their yard. In Wisconsin, most people go to lakes to swim. Dogs...underground fences.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Of course there are pools, but many people go to a pool to swim, not have one in their yard. In Wisconsin, most people go to lakes to swim. Dogs...underground fences.
Underground fences only work on the dogs the owner has. They don't keep other critters out at all.

My point is that between dogs, pools, kids, and privacy preferences, it's not that hard to figure out why people may want a fence. It's not a moral issue and no preference is superior or inferior.

Old 01-24-2020, 11:06 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,100,025 times
At least here in Minnesota, fenced-in yards tend to be seen as lower-class and unsightly. A lot of people do put up fences, but it's certainly not ubiquitous.

In suburban areas, people will separate their acreage with trees/bushes. You also see a lot of suburban neighborhoods that were built among existing woods, which on its own already creates semi-private yards.

Old 01-25-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
At least here in Minnesota, fenced-in yards tend to be seen as lower-class and unsightly. A lot of people do put up fences, but it's certainly not ubiquitous.

In suburban areas, people will separate their acreage with trees/bushes. You also see a lot of suburban neighborhoods that were built among existing woods, which on its own already creates semi-private yards.
What sort of fencing is common in your area?

I ask because in many subdivisions here, chain link fencing is not allowed. Or conversely, the only type of fencing allowed is a wooden privacy fence in the back yard, six feet tall.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:55 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,902,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I ask because in many subdivisions here, chain link fencing is not allowed. Or conversely, the only type of fencing allowed is a wooden privacy fence in the back yard, six feet tall.
I live in WI, which is just next door to Minnesota, and I concur with what Jennifat has stated. And, I think I alluded to it in a previous post, but there are many neighborhoods that don't allow any type of fence. You'll find some chain link fencing in older neighborhoods in the city, but, typically, these aren't nice neighborhoods. And, chain link fencing isn't common, or desired, in any neighborhood. Trees, shrubbery, and other landscaping are, often, enough for privacy.

Last edited by Enean; 01-25-2020 at 08:35 AM..

Old 01-25-2020, 10:11 AM

14,377 posts, read 11,774,160 times
Quote:

Chain link fencing isn't allowed in most newer or HOA neighborhoods in SoCal. It does have a lower-class stigma. Here, backyard fencing must be a wooden privacy fence. If the yard is small and adjacent to a busy street, there is often a cement block wall on the portion that fronts the street, for safety.

It occurs to me that on top of everything else, in an arid or semi-arid climate, it's not that easy to grow enough lush trees and bushes to screen your yard from neighbors. That works better in places that get a lot of rain.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:20 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,100,025 times
Quote:

You see all types, really. As others have said, chain-link fences aren't common. Wooden picket fences are probably what you see most, and in areas where homes have bigger acreage sometimes you'll see the more rustic "farm" fencing that's more for decoration than privacy.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Chain link fencing isn't allowed in most newer or HOA neighborhoods in SoCal. It does have a lower-class stigma. Here, backyard fencing must be a wooden privacy fence. If the yard is small and adjacent to a busy street, there is often a cement block wall on the portion that fronts the street, for safety.

It occurs to me that on top of everything else, in an arid or semi-arid climate, it's not that easy to grow enough lush trees and bushes to screen your yard from neighbors. That works better in places that get a lot of rain.
Right.

Also, if terrain is flat rather than hilly, you can see forever throughout peoples' back yards.

Around here, people tend to want privacy in their back yards. And since our yards tend to be very flat, and we don't have the number of trees that some other places have, fences offer the most privacy. Also, dogs, critters and pools as I've stated before (pools require a fence). Front yards are not generally fenced.

I think I am repeating myself at this point.

Anyway, in this area, privacy fencing around the back yard is not considered to be low class in any way, shape or form. And it shouldn't be, since a privacy fence around even a small back yard can easily run $6,000 to $10,000!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.