Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 12:08 AM

38 posts, read 35,210 times

Advertisements

where the majority of its citizens are African American AND the unemployment & crime rates are below national average?

I can’t find one and it’s bugging me. My goal is to find at least one city, research it and figure out what they are doing right.

Population above 50% AA
Unemployment under 3.7%
Crime Rate below 4.3%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 01:06 AM

6,384 posts, read 5,015,361 times
I haven't looked at the statistics for these places but try looking at upper-middle-class black suburbs --- some south Chicago suburbs like Homewood, Flossmoor, Matteson, parts of PG County and Charles County in the DC area, etc.

Old 12-23-2019, 02:29 AM

3,548 posts, read 2,337,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I haven't looked at the statistics for these places but try looking at upper-middle-class black suburbs --- some south Chicago suburbs like Homewood, Flossmoor, Matteson, parts of PG County and Charles County in the DC area, etc.
St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, Cleveland & Atlanta are now the only cities that are majority black with a metro of +2 million and fail all those metrics

New Orleans & Memphis are in the 1-2 million metro range and fail as well.

I'd agree you'd have to look into upper-middle class black DC, NYC or Chicago neighborhoods to find an example of what you are asking.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:56 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,080,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piranha89 View Post
where the majority of its citizens are African American AND the unemployment & crime rates are below national average?

I can’t find one and it’s bugging me. My goal is to find at least one city, research it and figure out what they are doing right.

Population above 50% AA
Unemployment under 3.7%
Crime Rate below 4.3%
It's essentially asking an impossible question that's why. Since Black and White culture in America are much more similar and black people aren't an immigrant group like Asians or Hispanics who can cluster through immigration in cities. Mix this with high Black poverty and anywhere that's desirable for black folks is desirable for white folks. Whites outnumber blacks 6:1 in this country. If an area is successful and black chances are their are no good reason for that area to stay black and it will attract white people and other immigrants. I don't know of any truly suburban areas with the statistics your looking for but their definitely plurality black areas that fall into this category. A place that might have something is-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_County,_Maryland

Specifically the community of Waldorf, Maryland within the county seems to hit all of your requirements or is just above it.

Bowie, Maryland in neighboring Prince George's County also looks like it might very well hit theses statistics above.

I will say I have no idea what 4.3% crime rate means. I would say D.C probably have the most cities that are either close or meet your definition. NY/Atlanta are distant 2nds then their's a few more cities/neighborhoods in cities that would do it as well. D.C is mostly the combination of being a ridiculously wealthy place even outside of NOVA and being such a black metro while the other's it's more like they just have a ton of black people numerically.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:20 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,788,713 times
Probably Ladera Heights, California.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:21 AM

6,817 posts, read 6,056,933 times
Randolph, MA almost meets your criteria. The issue is that it’s only 40% black, but that’s roughly the highest percentage you’ll see for any town/city in eastern New England.

I also don’t know what portion of Randolph is AA vs more recent African and Caribbean immigrants.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:25 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,527,684 times
The root issue that plagues the AA community is the astronomically high fatherless rate of 73% (Brookings Institute Study in 2013). If the rate was that high within any racial group, they would suffer the same harmful effects. The study also concluded that if any person, regardless of race, did 3 things: 1. Not have a child outside of wedlock, 2. Graduate from high school, 3. Get a full-time job, 98% would be above the poverty line and 75% would be in the middle class. Both crime and unemployment would greatly improve. So encouraging and nurturing the family unit is the single biggest key to success.

Old 12-23-2019, 02:39 PM

409 posts, read 334,620 times
Bowie, Upper Marlboro (Basically Northern PG and Southern PG Counties), Silver Spring, Germantown, Layhill, Burtonsville even though in the Montgomery County suburbs I listed in bold, we might be the majority but it's still not above 50%.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:26 PM

93,421 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
The root issue that plagues the AA community is the astronomically high fatherless rate of 73% (Brookings Institute Study in 2013). If the rate was that high within any racial group, they would suffer the same harmful effects. The study also concluded that if any person, regardless of race, did 3 things: 1. Not have a child outside of wedlock, 2. Graduate from high school, 3. Get a full-time job, 98% would be above the poverty line and 75% would be in the middle class. Both crime and unemployment would greatly improve. So encouraging and nurturing the family unit is the single biggest key to success.
The thing is that even if you do those 3 things, there still may be some issues. An example: https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanad.../#7e911157b8fc or this related one: https://rollingout.com/2017/08/13/av...-college-grad/
https://insightcced.org/wp-content/u...Rain_Final.pdf

With all of this said, there are usually some suburbs that are predominantly black that would fit the OP's criteria. Places like Lakeview and Wheatley Heights in NY and perhaps Bloomfield CT come to mind.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-23-2019 at 03:36 PM..

Old 12-24-2019, 10:50 AM

728 posts, read 976,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Randolph, MA almost meets your criteria. The issue is that it’s only 40% black, but that’s roughly the highest percentage you’ll see for any town/city in eastern New England.

I also don’t know what portion of Randolph is AA vs more recent African and Caribbean immigrants.
I can't find the stats right now but growing up in Randolph it was majority (in order) Haitian, Cape Verdean, other Caribbean Islanders, AA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.