Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 10:12 PM

3 posts, read 1,491 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the responses so far! This is way more help than I was expecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Arizona is not a liberal state, even locally. Neither is Florida, NC or TN.

New Mexico, western California, Virginia and Nevada(Vegas) are the only ones that could fit your criteria(Dems control all 3 levels of gov't in those states), and ABQ/Santa Fe are in the 20s right now. Vegas and Richmond VA(which can get cold) are way more crime ridden than Boston. Charlottesville can get cold and snowy tho not as often as up north.

Sacramento would be best. If you can afford Boston you can afford there.
Sacramento does seem to fit all my criteria, but it doesn't excite me much. I'm also concerned about the extremely poor AQI (I read that they needed to give out respirators at one point). That said, it's a solid fallback if nothing else I research seems to work.

The reason why I want a liberal state is to ensure that I'm legally protected from discrimination based on sexual orientation. However, I think some cities have their own additional laws that may compensate for that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
NoVa or Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Columbia Maryland?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberrysaus View Post
Northern Virginia sounds like it might be the closest thing on the east coast to hitting all your criteria.
I did look into Maryland last night, but it seems to be hurricane central. Again, I know that everywhere has its own hazards, but that seems particularly frequent and destructive. Northern Virginia is worth a look, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
California, especially the coast is military central. S California has yearly wildfires and of course, earthquakes. The big fun ones.
I had been considering San Diego, because it seems to avoid the brunt of earthquake damage, but its particularly strong military presence is concerning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Im around the same age as you, I want to relocate from Boston (Favorite city, its just too expensive and cold at times). I am also looking for a milder climate not prone to natural disasters, with a liberal lean as well. Without NYC level pollution, because I feel you on that.

I have been looking for MONTHS... and what I have found after visiting is: (Trimmed for your criteria)

1. Charlotte
2. Atlanta
3. Richmond
4. Nashville

Those 4 cities fit your criteria well.. there are some areas of warm, job loaded Charlotte connected to major light rail services (Like the Green Line in Boston) that are walkable, SAFE and fun! I think the best areas are Charlotte and Atlanta

An area of Charlotte you might like: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2124...7i16384!8i8192 Ironically its called the South End, but WAY more affordable than the one we live near. Its safe, virtually no snow, warm, great nightlife scene especially for LGBT in Charlotte and closeby to Atlanta, liberal since its highly educated in the area, not dangerous and the train there takes you to the convention center for events.
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2124...7i16384!8i8192 I love Charlotte's light rail
Good luck!
Thanks for your suggestions! Those cities do seem tempting, but I'll need to look into city-specific discrimination laws and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As a gay male well-versed on varying cities with a heavy LGBT presence (toward either men or women) factored along with the rest of your criteria would recommend Durham NC. Durham has a variety of walkable neighborhoods and would especially check out the Ninth Street/Old West Durham neighborhood. https://www.discover9thstreet.com/ni...eet-businesses The LGBT population is very well organized and has deep roots in the community. https://www.lgbtqcenterofdurham.org/ https://www.discoverdurham.com/blog/...all-year-long/ I lived in Durham for seven years and can attest it's a safe, welcoming community and by far my most favorite place to live that produced friendships that survive today, many years later.
Thanks for this suggestion! I'll look into city-specific discrimination laws, but it seems promising that the community is so organized there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
As someone who lived in the Boston area for a year and a half (7/17-1/19) and have lived most of my life in Charlotte (as I do now), I will have to disagree that the Charlotte area will be a good fit for the OP. Not because the OP is liberal, but because the degree to which they are liberal. [...]
I'm not here to debate politics, as you seem very inclined to do at length. Please don't continue to use this thread in which I'm asking for advice on where to live to talk about your issues with liberals.

I'm off to do some research on these suggestions! Thanks again for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 11:53 PM

483 posts, read 354,381 times
While no one would consider Portland, Oregon a warm weather city it does tick all of your other boxes. It certainly isn't a cold weather city. It seldom snows in the city but if you want winter you can drive an hour and be in the Cascades.

Charlotte has never struck me as being very walkable the times I have been there although there certainly are some walkable neighborhoods. Note also that you have a nuclear power plant smack dab on the best recreational area around.

The LA area has some really great neighborhoods/cities that tick all of your boxes. Long Beach, Pasadena are worth consideration. Sure, there are earthquakes in California but the odds of actually being killed or injured in one is miniscule.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:46 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Mariachu, do you place a certain geographic location in America over another due to proximity to family/friends/etc?

Old 01-14-2020, 04:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
The no car and warm climate make it a short list. DC is the obvious choice. You’re picking left coast, right coast, and college towns. There aren’t many with the public transportation.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:19 AM

280 posts, read 169,527 times
Atlanta is super left-leaning and LGBT friendly, but the reason I didn't suggest it is because it sounds like you don't want to deal with red state politics, which you will from time to time down here.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:39 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,561 times
Richmond and Washington DC are your best options.
The core of Richmond is approaching SF levels of progressiveness. The metro in general is slightly left of center ( it’s a relatively new trend thanks to an increasingly diverse population in the suburbs). Virginia is moving quickly to the left and has a big LGBTQ population. Richmond is very “out” but there is a lack of structured gay activity (no gayborhood per se). There’s a large gueer population but it’s largely integrated.

It’s a very outdoorsy and artsy city. Richmond is very walkable in the core neighborhoods. I rarely drive outside of work (I’m a carpenter so I drive a truck for work). I can walk or take the bus or Lyft anywhere I want to go. There’s great food, great beer, nice people, lots of LGBTQ people, large festivals (including Virginia Pride which attracts 30k+ people). And it’s very pretty here.

Crime is isolated ( not to be dismissive about it, it’s very real for some in the metro, but property and violent crime is low in most areas).

Old 01-14-2020, 09:40 AM

Good to hear abour Richmond. Its a great city.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:45 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
There are no warm, liberal states. All warm states are conservative.
To your point--South Florida is liberal and warm.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
To your point--South Florida is liberal and warm.
But Florida, which is the state, is a lean red state. SoFlo isnt a state.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:51 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
But Florida, which is the state, is a lean red state. SoFlo isnt a state.
No it is not a "lean red" state. And I am aware S. FLa is not a state, thanks.

Obama won handily twice. You think only South Florida voted for him? Florida is purple. Orlando (maybe it wasn't when you lived there, but it is now) and St. Pete are also pretty liberal. Trump barely eked by in Fla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.