Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 03:29 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,822,843 times

Advertisements

For example, do people in Rhode Island think of themselves as New Englanders first or as Rhode Islanders first?

Are South Carolinians first and foremost Southerners, or South Carolinians?

I would imagine in almost every state people identify with their state first. Are there any exceptions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 03:39 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
For me, I say im a New Englander and a Bay Stater interchangeably.

Out in Western Mass they say New Englander first. Probably the same with most of New England.. theres kindof a unification with that.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:49 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,077,968 times
From people I’ve talk to New England is the only region with a strong enough culture where this might be true although I think your more likely to see someone from Southern NH who’s constantly in the Boston area call themselves a New Englandsr more than the New Hampshire demonym, especially someone not originally born there.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:46 PM

6,383 posts, read 5,009,673 times
Seattlites are much more likely to identify with the "PNW" or "Cascadia" identity than Washington state.

It's probably a minority of Chicagoans that feel any identification with the Midwest, but a much smaller minority that feel any identification with Illinois.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:54 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
That map is a little odd. I’ve never imagined Pennsylvanians calling themselves “mid easterners “. Although there is a term called Mid Atlantic.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:14 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,453,243 times
I think perhaps in both New England and the South (especially deep south) this can happen, because of the strong cultural fabric the two regions have sewn in particular. Many of my friends from various parts of the Midwest often refer to themselves as Midwesterners as well. In the Mid Atlantic, we always specify which state and even city, as the region is so populous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
That map is a little odd. I’ve never imagined Pennsylvanians calling themselves “mid easterners “. Although there is a term called Mid Atlantic.
Yeah, "Mideast" is not a thing. It's Mid-Atlantic. I also find it odd to place Missouri in the "Plains" states, as the Ozarks run through much of the state. Oklahoma and Texas are surely not purely "Southwestern," as the more populous parts of those states are quite Southern.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:39 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,854,546 times
Half the state of Delaware thinks of themselves as Philadelphia suburbs first.

As for South Carolina, in general they seem to consider themselves a state first rather than Southern. Same plays out in Virginia, NC, and Georgia (I imagine elsewhere as well). We all try and distinguish ourselves from each other because otherwise we get lumped in with Mississippi. There are probably some exceptions when Southerness comes first (like when talking to an exceptionally snitty transplant), but mostly I think it’s states.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:40 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,854,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
That map is a little odd. I’ve never imagined Pennsylvanians calling themselves “mid easterners “.
Looking at my own map, it seems to check out. Bethlehem is in the Mideast.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:17 PM

401 posts, read 332,085 times
Forget Rhode Island or even New England. Back in 2004 somebody covered the "Welcome to RI" sign on I-95 at the Connecticut border and replaced it to "Welcome To Red Sox Nation" after they came from 0-3 behind and beat the Yankees and went on to their first World Series win since 1918.

That was then, but I do think it's one of the threads that ties those who think of themselves as New Englanders first - our ties to the major sports teams in New England (Gillette Stadium is not too far from the RI border and Providence is closer than Boston.) Also, we love the New Hampshire mountains here in RI. Many (well maybe not 'many' as a state-wide percentage but lots of people I know) have second homes there. Of those who don't, many get away on weekend jaunts up to the mountains many times each year.

But I do think it's interchangeable, as 'massachoicetts' above mentioned. Many still have a strong identity as Rhode Islanders first. Our accent is definitely RI, not the same as our northern states or the Boston accent that everybody is familiar with. And Connecticut has a more mainstream US accent than any of the New England states. Some may feel a stronger attachment to the New York area and many west of the Connecticut River are even Yankees fans!

Old 01-26-2020, 12:20 PM

1,228 posts, read 798,471 times
I was born in Atlanta, and raised in Georgia. When I’m asked where I’m from originally I say Atlanta, but I’ll always consider myself a “Georgia boy.” In my experiences, folks native to the Southern states may feel a “kinship” to other states in the South, especially neighboring ones, which strengthens when traveling or living outside the region. Shared heritage and all, but still “State first” over region.

I’m now, and definitely consider myself to be, a proud albeit non-native North Carolinian, here longer than my time in Georgia. I’m still a “Georgia boy” and certainly not a “Tar Heel” but that’s a different kind of “fighting words” reason.

Though, I’m still reminded of a saying from my youth, often found on tee shirts sold at county fairs and Stone Mountain Park... “American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.