Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 05:22 PM

405 posts, read 394,930 times

Advertisements

All three have a large Hispanic population but only CA seems to have a relatively high gang presence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 09:41 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times
As a radically liberal state, California panders to its Hispanic/Latino population more so than Florida and Texas, which are more socially conservative by comparison. In California, the decriminalization and legalization of marijuana and the release of non-violent offenders due to prison overcrowding have increased the state’s overall crime rate. Therefore, lots of Hispanic/Latino gangbangers and thugs who should be imprisoned are not.

Also, if I am not mistaken, California has a larger Hispanic/Latino population than both Florida and Texas, both in terms of raw numbers and percentage-wise. However, as of 2020, Texas has around the same rate of Hispanic/Latino ethnicity as California due to its rapid population growth over the past 10-15 years. The growth of Texas’ Hispanic/Latino population has been largely driven by illegal immigration from Mexico and the domestic migration of middle- and lower-income Californians, many of whom are Hispanic/Latino.

Something else to consider is that California’s Hispanic population is very evenly distributed throughout the state from the Mexican border to Sacramento. Even in rural areas of California, there are lots of Hispanic/Latino people. In both Florida and Texas, the Hispanic/Latino populations are very highly localized to the extreme southern fringes of the respective states and, as a result, less evenly distributed throughout. Also, Mexicans in far southern and far western Texas hold supermajority status and are in very limited contact with non-Mexican people, so is there a real reason for gang violence and warfare in this region? It’s not like Mexicans in El Paso or Laredo are competing with African-Americans or Vietnamese immigrants for jobs and housing, like they are in California.

In Florida in particular, Hispanic/Latino residents tend to be wealthier and higher-income than in other parts of the United States, especially when referring to those in Broward and Miami-Dade counties. I presume that people with education, status and wealth are less likely to join street gangs in the “hood” and participate in criminal gang activities, regardless of their ethnic background or identity.

Finally, California’s Hispanic/Latino population is almost exclusively Mexican, whereas the other two states, especially Florida, have more diverse Hispanic/Latino populations. I suspect that it is easier to locate, join and be an active of an ethnic gang when that ethnicity is so dominant and widely dispersed (i.e., lots of other people who look, act and talk like me).

Last edited by Bert_from_back_East; 01-22-2020 at 09:58 PM..

Old 01-22-2020, 10:08 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
All three have a large Hispanic population but only CA seems to have a relatively high gang presence
References please. I don't believe that for a second.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:49 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Latino gangs like the ones in 80s and 90s movies are pretty much dead. But there are plenty of Latino gangsters in Texas, just look at the news from any Texas city.
There is even cartel presence over there

Old 01-22-2020, 11:02 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
As a radically liberal state, California panders to its Hispanic/Latino population more so than Florida and Texas, which are more socially conservative by comparison. In California, the decriminalization and legalization of marijuana and the release of non-violent offenders due to prison overcrowding have increased the state’s overall crime rate. Therefore, lots of Hispanic/Latino gangbangers and thugs who should be imprisoned are not.

Also, if I am not mistaken, California has a larger Hispanic/Latino population than both Florida and Texas, both in terms of raw numbers and percentage-wise. However, as of 2020, Texas has around the same rate of Hispanic/Latino ethnicity as California due to its rapid population growth over the past 10-15 years. The growth of Texas’ Hispanic/Latino population has been largely driven by illegal immigration from Mexico and the domestic migration of middle- and lower-income Californians, many of whom are Hispanic/Latino.

Something else to consider is that California’s Hispanic population is very evenly distributed throughout the state from the Mexican border to Sacramento. Even in rural areas of California, there are lots of Hispanic/Latino people. In both Florida and Texas, the Hispanic/Latino populations are very highly localized to the extreme southern fringes of the respective states and, as a result, less evenly distributed throughout. Also, Mexicans in far southern and far western Texas hold supermajority status and are in very limited contact with non-Mexican people, so is there a real reason for gang violence and warfare in this region? It’s not like Mexicans in El Paso or Laredo are competing with African-Americans or Vietnamese immigrants for jobs and housing, like they are in California.

In Florida in particular, Hispanic/Latino residents tend to be wealthier and higher-income than in other parts of the United States, especially when referring to those in Broward and Miami-Dade counties. I presume that people with education, status and wealth are less likely to join street gangs in the “hood” and participate in criminal gang activities, regardless of their ethnic background or identity.

Finally, California’s Hispanic/Latino population is almost exclusively Mexican, whereas the other two states, especially Florida, have more diverse Hispanic/Latino populations. I suspect that it is easier to locate, join and be an active of an ethnic gang when that ethnicity is so dominant and widely dispersed (i.e., lots of other people who look, act and talk like me).
Hispanics are all over Texas. Even Amarillo, Lubbock, Midland, and Odessa have large Hispanic populations.

I would actually guess that their distribution is even more even than in California.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:28 PM

202 posts, read 320,282 times
Please close this thread before it gets overtly racist

Old 01-23-2020, 01:02 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Population density

(Also Miami does have a large and well-known gang presence, and it too is a dense city)

Old 01-23-2020, 01:05 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Has anyone here watched “Cocaine Cowboys”?

Old 01-23-2020, 01:40 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
So who told you this Donald Trump?

Old 01-23-2020, 04:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post

1) Texas has a higher percentage of Hispanics than either California or Florida, at 39.1 percent of overall population. (New Mexico tops all states though, at 48.5 percent.)

2) Here's a map of the Hispanic population percentage wise in each county in the US. You can see that while yes, the percentages of Hispanics is higher in the west and south of Texas, it is also higher in the southern parts of California than in the northern part. In other words, in both states, there is a higher percentage of Hispanics the closer you get to the border with Mexico.
https://www.pewresearch.org/hispanic...unty-and-city/

3) Speaking of minority populations, Texas has DOUBLE the percentage of African Americans as California has. Also, Arlington TX has a higher percentage of Vietnamese than San Diego, CA. Houston TX and San Francisco CA both have the same percentage of Vietnamese.

4) 84 percent of California's Hispanic population is from Mexico. 87 percent of Texas' Hispanic population is from Mexico.https://www.pewresearch.org/hispanic/states/state/tx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.