Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 07:36 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times

Advertisements

I have noticed a trend as of late as I look up news stories on new jobs in particular areas and it always seems like established companies are moving and expanding in the Midwest, South and Texas.

Des Moines and Iowa always seem to have new articles on new jobs coming to their area.

1,000 high-tech jobs coming to downtown Des Moines | Local News - KCCI Home

Dow-DuPont merger could add jobs to Des Moines area

Ground broken on new 300,000 square foot FAA facility at Des Moines Creek Park | The Waterland Blog for Des Moines, WA

http://www.businessrecord.com/Conten.../181/975/73275

When I do a search it seems like there seems to be so many businesses swarming into the Midwest and Southern states.

It also always seems like Indiana, Ohio and Michigan are always having constant news stories about huge job expensions with hundreds of jobs.

As far as the industrial Midwest it is not just auto manufacturers but also alot of service sector employment.

Many Southern states also seem to have huge amounts of expansions of manufacturers and also lower and middle-tier service jobs.

It seems like I don't see nearly the amount of expansions in the West and Northeast when I do a news search.

I know there seems be a trend of companies offering middle-of-the road $30,000-$50,000 stable jobs locating in the Midwest and South as opposed to places like California and Northeast Corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 07:49 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,963 times
California and the rest of the west coast are actually rockstars in job growth right now. Oregon and Washington too.

California Economy at a Glance

Washington Economy at a Glance

The southeast is doing okay. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina are creating jobs, but they are mostly jobs that don't pay well. I work for a big business office and the only positions we have available right now pay less than $15.00 and the managers complain constantly that they can't find anyone to hire. lol. Is upping the pay ever considered??? NOPE! That is the story across the southeast.

Illinois has an awful economy right now. Unemployment is up huge over the past year. I think Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota are not creating jobs like the southeast and the west coast, but their populations don't grow nearly as much as those areas, so the midwest is mostly doing good.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:00 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
True about Washington, or at least the Seattle area. It takes a lot to become news.

Boeing hiring a few thousand people, or letting a few thousand go? Welcome to most years for a company that employs 80,000 locally.

An aircraft carrier being assigned to a local base, or taken away, with thousands of crew and thousands more family members? Common.

Amazon expanding its headquarters on the edge of Downtown by thousands? That's every year.

Another tech company opening a 100-person engineering office? Only in the business press. Adding another 500 or 1,000 people? Press if a new buiding is involved.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:08 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
True about Washington, or at least the Seattle area. It takes a lot to become news.

Boeing hiring a few thousand people, or letting a few thousand go? Welcome to most years for a company that employs 80,000 locally.

An aircraft carrier being assigned to a local base, or taken away, with thousands of crew and thousands more family members? Common.

Amazon expanding its headquarters on the edge of Downtown by thousands? That's every year.

Another tech company opening a 100-person engineering office? Only in the business press. Adding another 500 or 1,000 people? Press if a new buiding is involved.
Yeah, I agree. It's a pretty slow news day in most Midwestern media unless there's a shooting or a fire, so job reports are usually headlines. Probably the same in much of the South.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:36 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Because those areas are actively courting big businesses and manufacturing. They are also areas that don't have strong unions.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:33 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
In the Midwest it's because there is a pool of well educated workers in a low cost of living area so the companies can find good employees and pay them lower wages than would have to be paid in the East or West.

In the South I'd eliminate the "well educated" part of what I said above.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:25 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
In the Midwest it's because there is a pool of well educated workers in a low cost of living area so the companies can find good employees and pay them lower wages than would have to be paid in the East or West.

In the South I'd eliminate the "well educated" part of what I said above.
In order to pay the CEO and upper management more while reducing overall costs which makes shareholders all giggly. Keeping the 1% fat and happy...

Old 06-11-2016, 11:21 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Some of it is active PR machines. In some cities the chamber of commerce or economic development commission send a press release every time a company moves or grows. Less so in other cites.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:47 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,284 times
It's usually the big multinationals that receive the most press and are most likely to move where costs are cheaper.

When Hardee's announced its move from California to Texas, it was all over news, but that's only couple hundred jobs. There will probably not be any press for the thousands of new tech jobs that are created each month in California.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:03 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
A race to the bottom. Low wage, poor benefits, no pension. Nothing "stable" about these types of jobs at all. They'll move to China and India soon enough. Meanwhile, workers are actively trying to undermine their own bargaining power by putting down unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.