Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2020, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,073 times

Advertisements

A little background on my situation, I live in New York but no where near the main city I live more upstate in a small city of about 5,000. I have been in my parents home all my life largely due to my parents themselves. Since I was young my parents have been both emotionally and mentally abusive and that sometimes even crossed into physical abuse. I grew up knowing only them and that house so I was always to scared to venture past it.

I have a good friend who lives in georgia and I have know them for about 5 years and have visited them often in that time. Recently they gave me an offer to move out there with them and share rent. I am 28 right now and would be 29 by the time I move. Between myself and myself and my friend we have about 12k saved and already have a place picked out and set up to move to. The only thing that I dont have planned Is a new job once i move there. My parents obviously think I am making a stupid mistake, that I am no longer young enough to run off and do stuff like this. So I'm wondering am I to old now to move to a different state and start a completely new life?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 09:31 PM

130,111 posts, read 12,082,762 times
29 is not old at all. Do you think you will be able to find a job easily? If so, go for it. I wish you well in your new venture. Can you trust this friend, how well do you know them?

Old 01-26-2020, 09:41 PM

3,948 posts, read 2,571,909 times
Yes, 29 is a great age! I have moved several time. At 29 I left my traveling job and settled in WI. About 15 years later, I moved to TN. I went to Grad school for my passion- Storytelling. Didn't complete it (too stressed out) but I moved back to WI again four years ago.

While I have had difficulties, I do not regret any of the moves. I learned a lot about myself.

Do some research about the job market. Can you visit the area you would move to before you move Good thing is you'll have support with your friends. Go for the adventure

Best wishes!

Old 01-26-2020, 09:42 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,218,259 times
Not only are you not too old, you need to do this. Age is nothing but a number, and you need to break away. Take advantage of your friends offer. Do it now and experience something new away from your parents influence. You will not regret it!

Old 01-26-2020, 10:51 PM

381 posts, read 349,030 times
No.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:55 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,425,999 times
The age of 29 is perfect. Actually, any age is perfect, really. It's all unique to one's situation.

I'd move away if I were you. Like a couple others have said, you will regret it if you don't.

Sometimes you have to take chances in life, you have to take risks. Sometimes failing is the learning you need.

No one lives a full, maximum potential life if they stay living in their parent's home their entire lives. I get it, it's safe, it's reliable, it's easy, and it's comfortable. But, in life, change should be the constant, and honestly, is the constant.

Take that risk. Even without the job, in this case, I'd say go for it.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:52 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
You sound very well prepared to take this leap, and an abusive situation would be worth leaving even if you weren't.

And there's a bonus...you already have a friend in the new place.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:56 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,913,523 times
I clicked on your profile to see if there was any more information about just how far upstate we were talking, and...Salamanca?! Congratulations on surviving 28 years there. Universe knows I've had a hard enough time surviving 33 just outside of Buffalo. Only thing good about Salamanca that I can see is one very cool poker dealer who used to deal in Niagara Falls....

Old 01-27-2020, 12:44 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times
Yes. 29 is the end. Way too late to change your already set ways. You are locked into everything you or your parents planned.

Sarcasm of course.

Go for it!

Old 01-27-2020, 12:49 AM

35 posts, read 23,092 times
It's never too late to start fresh somewhere new, there's a whole world out there. Free yourself from your parents influence. The 20s and 30s are ALL about finding yourself and if you're still lost by 40 then who tf cares?

I'm 27 with PTSD with a similar backstory only I irresponsibly left home and took a one way flight thousands of miles away at the age of 22 with little money. I've bounced all over this nation looking for purpose (only to end up 45 minutes from my hometown)... $12K saved up between the two of you should give you PLENTY of time. Do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.