Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2020, 06:26 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I think the other factor is that this forum has a lot of African Americans who say the words "diverse" and "not diverse" when they mean "more black than average" and "less black than average".... Austin has a very large hispanic population and an above average asian population. It is diverse, but not especially black.
Right, many people use "diverse" as a codeword for black .

If a city was 50% white, 50% black, it would be considered diverse on here. Hence, nobody calling Atlanta "extremely white".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 06:28 PM

93,330 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post

If a city was 50% white, 50% black, it would be considered diverse on here. Hence, nobody calling Atlanta "extremely white".
No, it isn’t, but I get what you are saying.

I think the difference may be that the image or portrayal of Austin’s “culture” is one that isn’t really inclusive of other groups, even if it is demographically/culturally diverse statistically.

Old 02-17-2020, 06:31 PM

77 posts, read 38,829 times
Quote:

I can confirm that is by no means what I meant by diversity on this thread. I don’t really care what other people typically mean by it, it’s not what I meant by it.

Old 02-17-2020, 06:33 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
And out of curiosity, how socially integrated is Houston anyway? I've really only heard of it being integrated between black and Hispanic.

How many of the public schools have virtually zero white kids?

Old 02-17-2020, 06:45 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I've found that people from the Northeast or West Coast have a hard time believing that Houston (and Texas in general) is as diverse as it is. Diversity is not part of the Texas stereotype.

However, Houston being exceptionally diverse does not make Austin "extremely white". Austin is quite diverse itself. Not at the level of Houston, NYC, DC, etc, but compared to peer cities, Austin is on the more diverse side. In fact, at the metro level, Austin demographics look almost identical to "black mecca" Atlanta (with the Hispanic and Black percentages swapped.) So Foamposite is 100% correct that calling Austin "extremely white" is not accurate, even if it is notably less diverse than Houston.
I never said Austin is extremely white, either culturally or demographically. My words were that for a white majority metro, I find Austin more integrated than average, and I would definitely agree with you that it is diverse in its own right. There's no doubt about that.

But Houston is on an entirely different level, particularly socially. And no, this has nothing to do with Houston having more black people (not sure who started that myth). It's that the entire metro is actually DIVERSE not only in terms of demographics, but in terms of how people interact on the ground as well as the effect that its had on the city's culture over the long term. Houston's culture is and has been influenced by whites, blacks, Hispanics, and Asians in different ways that you definitely don't see in Austin. It shows in how political power is shared, it shows in the city's culinary scene, it shows up in a lot of different places.

None of this is to denigrate Austin in any way, it's a fine city. But definitely apples and oranges compared to Houston when we're talking about social influence and integration across different ethnic and cultural groups.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:38 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:

Atlanta is not 50% White or 50% Black so what are you talking about?

Quote:
And out of curiosity, how socially integrated is Houston anyway? I've really only heard of it being integrated between black and Hispanic.

How many of the public schools have virtually zero white kids?
Yet again spoken like someone who's never been to Houston but going off what you hear. How silly, so let me get this straight Austin is the integrated city while Houston is only integrated between Black and Hispanic people? LOL

Houston has school districts such as Fort Bend/Pearland/Cy-Fair/Alvin/Klein that are highly diverse and integrated in the classrooms. Not to mention Houston has a good amount of Charter schools that are truly diverse in staff and students.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:57 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Atlanta is not 50% White or 50% Black so what are you talking about?

Yet again spoken like someone who's never been to Houston but going off what you hear. How silly, so let me get this straight Austin is the integrated city while Houston is only integrated between Black and Hispanic people? LOL

Houston has school districts such as Fort Bend/Pearland/Cy-Fair/Alvin/Klein that are highly diverse and integrated in the classrooms. Not to mention Houston has a good amount of Charter schools that are truly diverse in staff and students.
Atlanta proper is ~90% black and white. But Atlanta is the type of sprawling sunbelt suburban city where city limits don't matter andthe metro is just as diverse if not more diverse (it's more diverse) than the city itself sort of like DC.

But for the record its 4% asian 4% latino and 2% mixed race. From a northern standpoint-that's unbelievable.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/atlantacitygeorgia

What makes Houston unique in my eyes is how vast and consistent the diversity is and the high quality of neighborhoods/homes for all races and most income brackets.. Every major metro has diverse charters, even in the further out suburbs-so that not the impressive part really.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:30 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
DC and it's vicinity hit most of the marks I think.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:40 AM

93,330 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
DC and it's vicinity hit most of the marks I think.
Yeah, a suburb that I’m surprised that it hasn’t been specifically mentioned is Silver Spring, as it would fit.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:55 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortheloveoftravel View Post
Very interesting considering Austin has been presented in a very positive light in this thread. I love Austin for the 1000th time.
He does this. He feels people, especially, other Texans hate on Austin when in reality, most Texans do not hate Austin as much as he thinks. Austin is a great city but it has its flaws. I don't particularly think Austin would fit your criteria. But something like a Sacramento would or a DC area though. Especially Montgomery County and NOVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.