Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 10:30 AM

50 posts, read 42,762 times

Advertisements

28 single straight male, no kids. Work in construction. I live in MA as does most of my family. I hate cold winters , love the sight of palm trees.

Socal is perfect other than the taxes, I'm very pro 2a, population, col, ect.. So ive visted Phoenix twice and seemed to really like it. I really liked the scenery, outdoor activities, car scene, food and col [on the surface at least]. My only problem is the distance from family..

Is there somewhere on east coast where I can get all these things and im just not seeing it? I feel like the answer is no, and anything close is very prone to natural disasters like hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, ect. Also if you do know of a place in California that does work, I'm all ears.

P.s I dont care for florida either!
TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 10:41 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
If you have an issue with being far from family, then you should stay on the east coast. I think that Tampa, FL doesn't get that many hurricanes. Probably can get some but far less than Miami. Orlando might be even less prone. That's what I know at least - someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

According to an article that looked at 1966 to 2014, here's the Florida cities that are least hurricane prone:
1. Leesburg
2. Orlando
3. Sanford
4. Kissimmee
5. Palatka
6. Lake City
7. Naples
8. Ocala
9. Gainesville
10. Fernandina Beach

I think no matter where you're going to go, you're usually in danger of some sort of natural disaster at some point. Obviously key is to go to a place where it's less prone.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the response! As I said at the bottom of my post, I'm not really into florida. Very flat, which isnt very good for outdoor activities (that I'm into anyway), the beaches are better than California tho.. I do think the summers are actually worse than Phoenix tho too

Old 02-23-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide72 View Post
Thanks for the response! As I said at the bottom of my post, I'm not really into florida. Very flat, which isnt very good for outdoor activities (that I'm into anyway), the beaches are better than California tho.. I do think the summers are actually worse than Phoenix tho too
Yeah - I only put it because I think there's not a lot of places that you are going to find 100%. You like Phoenix but it's too far away (probably same for LA..). The east coast in the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida are prone to hurricanes. Sounds like you really want palm trees around too. You are probably going to have to compromise on something...

Old 02-23-2020, 11:06 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
Savannah, GA
Wilmington, NC
Phoenix, AZ
Tucson, AZ
Las Vegas, NV

Old 02-23-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah - I only put it because I think there's not a lot of places that you are going to find 100%. You like Phoenix but it's too far away (probably same for LA..). The east coast in the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida are prone to hurricanes. Sounds like you really want palm trees around too. You are probably going to have to compromise on something...
I feel like I'll get over being away given some time. I want yo make sure however, that theirs nowhere closer that I can get all the same things.. the natural disasters that scare me are like the the flooding that happened in sc a few years ago. The types where you lose everything!

Old 02-23-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Savannah, GA
Wilmington, NC
Phoenix, AZ
Tucson, AZ
Las Vegas, NV
I haven't tried tuscon and I'm not really the party type so vegas isnt my thing but that's not really what I'm asking.. ga/NC may work but I feel the likelihood of disastrous weather (the type that'll cause you to lose everything) is very high

Old 02-23-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I haven't tried tuscon and I'm not really the party type so vegas isnt my thing but that's not really what I'm asking.. NC may work but I feel the likelihood of disastrous weather (the type that'll cause you to lose everything) is very high
Well there's data on that:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/when-do-hu...olinas-3265733
Quote:
On average, one to two hurricanes make landfall on the U.S. East Coast every year. Of those, 16 percent have swept North Carolina and 11 percent have reached South Carolina. Since 1851, 47 hurricanes have made direct hits on North Carolina, and 31 have landed in South Carolina.
It can happen but doesn't sound likely for an every year thing. So basically, every 3 to 4 years there's a direct hit on NC and every 5 to 6 years there's a direct hit on SC. I guess if you live there in a 5 year period, you'd probably get it once on average but still doing better than what you'd have if you lived in the Miami area.

Old 02-23-2020, 11:43 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Don't kid yourself. Phoenix summers are brutal if you are a construction worker. Most outdoor crews work from about 5 AM to 2 PM for four or five months a year because of the heat.

The people who eschew the heat in Phoenix aren't the ones who have to work outside all day.

Old 02-23-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Don't kid yourself. Phoenix summers are brutal if you are a construction worker. Most outdoor crews work from about 5 AM to 2 PM for four or five months a year because of the heat.

The people who eschew the heat in Phoenix aren't the ones who have to work outside all day.
No doubt its rough, and I dont want to start this debate but it is different high temps dry vs high temps humid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.