Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 11:06 AM

724 posts, read 560,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
how can we possibly avoid recession and bear market??
I was actually predicting this back in September when the Fed cut the interest rates the first time, which is usually a sign the government is scared of a bear market. All it took was any event at all to send it tumbling down.

I feel for those who are about to retire in the next 2-3 years. I really do. Y'all need to start buying bonds ASAP.

For people like me and I venture most of this forum - as Warren Buffet would say - "when people are fearful, be greedy. When people are greedy, be fearful."

Now's the time to start investing for a ton of my generation and zoomers. Bear markets tend to only last on average, 11.7 months. Make hay while the sun is still shining.

https://www.invesco.com/us-rest/cont...Type=investors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 11:07 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
And we’ve been more due—for a recession (12 years since one??)— than a 10 month pregnant woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
I was actually predicting this back in September when the Fed cut the interest rates the first time, which is usually a sign the government is scared of a bear market. All it took was any event at all to send it tumbling down.

I feel for those who are about to retire in the next 2-3 years. I really do. Y'all need to start buying bonds ASAP.

For people like me and I venture most of this forum - as Warren Buffet would say - "when people are fearful, be greedy. When people are greedy, be fearful."

Now's the time to start investing for a ton of my generation and zoomers. Bear markets tend to only last on average, 11.7 months. Make hay while the sun is still shining.

https://www.invesco.com/us-rest/cont...Type=investors

Old 03-05-2020, 11:10 AM

724 posts, read 560,695 times
Quote:
And we’ve been more due—for a recession (12 years since one??)— than a 10 month pregnant woman.
Yeah, which is why I don't mind it as much. There are obvious real world consequences, but there's ways to alleviate that.

I thought the election was going to be the thing that started the bear market, but something like COVID19? That'll do it.

I was just talking to my friend about this and I don't get how people get continually more scared, as if something has changed in the last 24 hours? The market is fickle, I'll give it that.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:08 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Covid is in Williamson County, TN

Old 03-06-2020, 01:08 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Numerous conferences were cancelled...

HCAHPS cancelled in Seattle
NARST cancelled in Portland
AERA will probably be cancelled in San Francisco
Netflix, Hulu, Google, etc. pulled out of SXSW among others

And my job just sent a precautionary email and is limiting domestic travel while encouraging more Zoom meetings. Probably going to be able to work remotely very soon until further notice.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:21 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
Quote:
Any word on SXSW?...if Ultra got cancelled can this be far behind?

SXSW is in heavy flux. There is a local petition to cancel the festival. with over 50,000 signatures and growing by the minute. It's a big deal for the city and it runs for nearly two weeks once started. Proactively they should cancel, it's irresponsible not to. here is an article.

https://www.statesman.com/business/2...navirus-threat MAny Many companies have back out including all the big hitters. Facebook, Google, Twitter etc.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:35 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
City of Miami has just cancelled the Calle Ocho Festival in Little Havana, an annual event that draws close to 1 million visitors.....between this and the earlier Ultra Fest (+/- 170,000 visitors), that should be a bit of a hit to the local economy, in spite of very few cases cited here....waiting to see if the Miami Open (tennis) gets cancelled--that's a 2 week event that drew nearly 400,000 last year.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:45 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
City of Miami has just cancelled the Calle Ocho Festival in Little Havana, an annual event that draws close to 1 million visitors.....between this and the earlier Ultra Fest (+/- 170,000 visitors), that should be a bit of a hit to the local economy, in spite of very few cases cited here....waiting to see if the Miami Open (tennis) gets cancelled--that's a 2 week event that drew nearly 400,000 last year.
I got the email about Ultra. This really sucks.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:17 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Any word on SXSW?...if Ultra got cancelled can this be far behind?
No clue. I know several people still planning to go but no idea what the organizers or city health officials might do.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:20 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Not sure this fits here but 5 schools had an emergency closing today in a suburb of Philadelphia due to exposure

probably many more to come
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.