Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 08:49 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,611,335 times

Advertisements

From what I see on this board, it seems like a lot of people downplay the Hispanic presence of Dallas and Houston, while . Both Dallas and Houston are plurality Hispanic, with most of their suburbs having a large Hispanic presence too. And to my understanding, both are receiving more Hispanic migrants than San Antonio.

But it's not just Houston and Dallas. Amarillo, Odessa-Midland, Lubbock, Austin, Fort Worth, Corpus Christi, etc. all have huge Hispanic presence. Yet San Antonio is treated by this board as if it's the center of Mexican/Hispanic culture in Texas.

Sure San Antonio might have more historic ties to Mexico, but I would argue that it's not very relevant in 2019. Migration patterns are not based on the way things were in 1836 or whenever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 08:57 PM

9,999 posts, read 5,706,423 times
I don't know much about these cities other than they're in Texas, but if San Antonio's ties go back two centuries I should think such a deeply rooted heritage would be more evident in the cultural landscape than in cities where Hispanics have only begun to imprint their heritage by comparison.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I don't know much about these cities other than they're in Texas, but if San Antonio's ties go back two centuries I should think such a deeply rooted heritage would be more evident in the cultural landscape than in cities where Hispanics have only begun to imprint their heritage by comparison.
Hispanics make up over 40% of both Houston and Dallas, so I doubt that their cultural impact over there is in its infancy.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:08 PM

9,999 posts, read 5,706,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Hispanics make up over 40% of both Houston and Dallas, so I doubt that their cultural impact over there is in its infancy.
A transplanted culture gradually transforming a pre-existing one in the present tense would certainly be in its infancy compared to a city rooted in that same culture from its inception centuries ago.

Again, I don't know much about these places so I'm granting the premises of your question for the sake of this discussion. I don't actually know if your premises are true or not so I don't know if my explanations borne from those premises bear any resemblance to what these cities are actually like.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:25 PM

12,862 posts, read 9,608,354 times
I'm not sure that's true, it jsut doesn't come up. But maybe the fact their names are anglo rather than Hispanic is a factor?

Old 12-18-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
A transplanted culture gradually transforming a pre-existing one in the present tense would certainly be in its infancy compared to a city rooted in that same culture from its inception centuries ago.

Again, I don't know much about these places so I'm granting the premises of your question for the sake of this discussion. I don't actually know if your premises are true or not so I don't know if my explanations borne from those premises bear any resemblance to what these cities are actually like.
Both are still American cities but Houston and Dallas arguably have more of a non-assimilated Hispanic cultural presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm not sure that's true, it jsut doesn't come up. But maybe the fact their names are anglo rather than Hispanic is a factor?
I actually think what you're saying about the names is true. So Spanish named cities would automatically register to them as being more Hispanic. I wonder if that also applies to Amarillo, though.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Both are still American cities but Houston and Dallas arguably have more of a non-assimilated Hispanic cultural presence.

I actually think what you're saying about the names is true. So Spanish named cities would automatically register to them as being more Hispanic. I wonder if that also applies to Amarillo, though.
Most people don't know Amarillo is a Spanish word.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Most people don't know Amarillo is a Spanish word.
Interesting. Since that is elementary level Spanish.

It doesn't seem like people associate the panhandle with Hispanics even though there are many there, and neighboring Oklahoma has a lot too.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Interesting. Since that is elementary level Spanish.

It doesn't seem like people associate the panhandle with Hispanics even though there are many there, and neighboring Oklahoma has a lot too.
I think of Amarillo ad being western. Also, as far as I know, most people anglicize the pronunciation of Amarillo

Old 12-19-2019, 06:41 AM

17,825 posts, read 13,738,015 times
Quote:
Here is an interesting link to Hispanic/Latino population change in Texas.

https://texaspolitics.utexas.edu/arc...02/slide1.html

According to the slide provided..............

Believe it or not but in 1850 the hispanic population was less than 2%. There appears to be an acceleration of Hispanic residents in the 1920s, around WWII and again in the late 1960s. From that point forward the percentage of hispanic residents as a portion of the total population continues to rise at a higher level.

I read somewhere else on the net that currently for every 10 new residents of Texas, 9 are Hispanic/Latino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.