Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 08:20 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times

Advertisements

What are some amenities, activities or attractions in the area you live in that are popular but you personally couldn't care less about?

For me, it's the beach. The Atlantic ocean and beaches are just 15 miles from my house. A half hour drive at most. But I never go to the beaches, except maybe once a year just to take a walk with a friend who is visiting. I don't like getting sandy and dirty and tracking it in my car. And I don't have a perfect body to reveal in public. It's also a nightmare to find good parking.

Beaches are very popular here in Florida and they are easily accessible to me but I never go! Besides, I have my own private, huge inground pool in my backyard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 08:37 AM

1,094 posts, read 810,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
What are some amenities, activities or attractions in the area you live in that are popular but you personally couldn't care less about?

For me, it's the beach. The Atlantic ocean and beaches are just 15 miles from my house. A half hour drive at most. But I never go to the beaches, except maybe once a year just to take a walk with a friend who is visiting. I don't like getting sandy and dirty and tracking it in my car. And I don't have a perfect body to reveal in public. It's also a nightmare to find good parking.

Beaches are very popular here in Florida and they are easily accessible to me but I never go! Besides, I have my own private, huge inground pool in my backyard!
I also live in Florida and while the beach is nice. I could live without it.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:03 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,032,304 times
Midtown Manhattan.

Literally tacky and ugly. Fake too. No interest. Noone here actually goes there

Old 02-22-2021, 09:03 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,713,726 times
Definitely the Rodeo and NASCAR.

Last edited by citidata18; 02-22-2021 at 09:21 AM..

Old 02-22-2021, 09:16 AM

6,811 posts, read 4,254,250 times
I've never been inside the Kennedy Center of the Performing Arts and doubt I ever will even though I drive past it all the time.

I also don't kayak/canoe/row/boat/sail in the Potomac.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
I agree with the beach. Here the closest beaches are on Lake Sammamish, Puget Sound, and the Pacific, 3 hours away. Even in July/August it's not hot enough to be at a beach where the water temperature is under 50F. Another is the ski resorts, just an hour away. I used to ski, but at 68 I'm just not up to it any more.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:29 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,131,436 times
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Most Clevelanders go there rarely if ever. Other museums in the city are much more frequently utilized by people from here, but that one is really mostly seen by tourists.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:45 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,024,415 times
Beaches* (SoCal), but with an asterisk. We go to the beach for the day, but we don't often take advantage of the beach lifestyle per se. Unless we're sunning and swimming, we don't just hang out by the beach or bike or jog there. Too crowded.

AMusement parks. You couldn't pay me enough to go to Disney. Others aren't any attraction for us either.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:52 AM

6,384 posts, read 5,012,901 times
Downtown Seattle. Just feels blah and doesn't have any particularly interesting landmarks besides Pike Place (and Smith Tower, the signs and photos explaining its history back in the '20s are pretty cool). I've probably been to Portland more times than I've been to Seattle's downtown.

Actually, I wish we had something like Powell's here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree with the beach. Here the closest beaches are on Lake Sammamish, Puget Sound, and the Pacific, 3 hours away. Even in July/August it's not hot enough to be at a beach where the water temperature is under 50F. Another is the ski resorts, just an hour away. I used to ski, but at 68 I'm just not up to it any more.
Yeah IMO if one wants to swim, just go to Moses Lake, Coeur d'Alene, or Lake Chelan. Although in my limited experience, Seattleites aren't really interested in going over the Cascades for some reason.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:11 AM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
For me, it’s definitely Times Square. I leave that craziness to the tourists.

Before the pandemic I would go to the area occasionally to see a show, but even then I’d get out as soon as possible when it was over. I haven’t spent any time there at all in the past year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.