Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 07:48 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times

Advertisements

Living in Metro Atlanta for example, it has the I-285 bypass.

However, I'm curious to know what major cities don't have a highway bypass, where you must travel through the city to reach your destination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 08:07 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Albuquerque, NM. No loops, spurs, or bypasses. Just I-40 and I-25 traversing through the city.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:29 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,006,598 times
Reno, NV only has I-80 going east-west and I-580/US-395 going north-south.

I wonder what the biggest city is that only has a bypass: no limited-access highways within the city limits? (or let's say, the area of the city limits on the other side contains at max 10% of the city's population)

Old 05-16-2020, 08:32 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Living in Metro Atlanta for example, it has the I-285 bypass.

However, I'm curious to know what major cities don't have a highway bypass, where you must travel through the city to reach your destination?
Some cities have a bypass but it doesn't have a complete circle meaning depending on which direction you are going, you may have no choice. For example Las Vegas has a "bypass", the 215, but if you need to go NE you have to get on the 15 you have no other choice, because the 215 is C-shaped. Are we including these?

However more pure examples are:

Tucson, AZ
Salt Lake City, UT
New Orleans, LA

In contrast, cities that wrote the book on highway bypasses:
The entire state of Texas

Old 05-16-2020, 08:38 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Tucson, AZ
Salt Lake City, UT
New Orleans, LA

In contrast, cities that wrote the book on highway bypasses:
The entire state of Texas
Salt Lake does have a bypass, I-215.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-16-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I wonder what the biggest city is that only has a bypass: no limited-access highways within the city limits? (or let's say, the area of the city limits on the other side contains at max 10% of the city's population)
An interesting challenge, I accept it.

Given that US cities are mostly the size that they are due to being logistically favorable for their respective industries (at time of finding) and that during initial suburban development everyone worked downtown and lived in the burbs meant our very first freeways were meant to serve the city proper limits, this will be extremely rare. You will be hard pressed to find a single town or city that does not have this.

Boise, ID comes close. The I-84 is pretty far from the core. There is somewhat of a bypass that leads to the Downtown core called the 184, but it turns into a normal street essentially once it crosses the river. And then on the East side that road remains an arterial street with lights all the way to the I-84 again. But I don't know if Boise qualifies in your opinion.

Not necessarily a major city but I believe Abilene, TX might be the best example of what such a city would look like. It has bypass freeways that Texas basically trademarked, but has no freeway in the core, and there's practically no or very few development on the outside of the bypass freeway. There may be better examples but I don't know every town and city in this country.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Salt Lake does have a bypass, I-215.
Being 2 miles from Downtown doesn't really count as "bypassing" to me.

Edit: I would argue a good amount of Salt Lake City's "bypass" 215 serves more as a reliever freeway for the I-15 than as a freeway meant to bypass the entire city. And that's fine, but it's simply not a bypass. Maybe the furthest south sections of the 215 act more like a bypass freeway but the northern section near the airport and downtown certainly do not.

Last edited by Prickly Pear; 05-16-2020 at 09:01 PM..

Old 05-16-2020, 08:57 PM

597 posts, read 449,923 times
Probably doesn't fit into the definition of Major..... but Durham NC has no bypass.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:29 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Reno, NV only has I-80 going east-west and I-580/US-395 going north-south.

The closest to this would probably be Washington, D.C. There are very few freeways within the District and most end shortly after entering the District. There IS a continuous limited access route along DC295 to Interstate 295 through the eastern half of the city but its not heavily advertised and long distance traffic is directed on the east side of the Beltway on 95/495.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:34 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
1. New Orleans - no real bypass of the immediate city, though cross country traffic is encouraged to take Interstate 12 heading west from Slidell and meeting up with Interstate 10 again in Baton Rouge, traveling through the Northshore. So in a way I-12 is a bypass of New Orleans.

2. Baton Rouge - all east-west traffic must take I-10 through downtown, where the Mississippi River bridge is

3. Montgomery

4. Jackson, MS - Interstate 220 is a partial bypass but the quickest north south route is still on I-55

5. Mobile, AL - Interstate 10 right through downtown and the tunnel

6. Jacksonville - Now I-295 is a beltway but the quickest way is still through downtown on 95

7. Las Vegas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.