Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 07:09 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times

Advertisements

Two hours is about right for a day trip around here, too:

Buffalo, NY is about 100 miles north & east
Pittsburgh is around 125 miles south
Cleveland is 105 miles west

It's also only about 55 miles east to the Allegheny National Forest if you want to get away from everything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 07:54 PM

597 posts, read 449,694 times
2-3 hours. That would put you into Richmond, Greenville, Asheville, Blue Ridge Parkway, The NC High Country, Yadkin Valley Wine Country, Charlottesville VA and the heart of the VA Wine country... the VA Mountains.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:14 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,780 times
The DC area has a ton of places within a days drive. I drove to Philly last week in 2 hours. In addition to Philly, you have Baltimore, Annapolis, Richmond, and Charlottesville within 1-2 1/2 hours away without traffic. You can do NYC and Pittsburgh in a day but I would say those are more weekend trips since they are both 4-5 hours away. The beach is 2 hours away including Ocean City and the Delaware beaches. Shenandoah National Park and Blue Ridge Mountains are like an hour and half and are doable for day trips.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:16 AM

142 posts, read 93,548 times
When I lived in Manhattan on the east side (Turtle Bay -- Midtown East), a trip to Hell's Kitchen or the West Village was pretty much a day trip lol. (only slightly kidding).

Old 05-29-2020, 07:36 PM

114 posts, read 111,680 times
From Chico I've done easy day trips to Dunsmuir, San Francisco, Lassen Volcanic National Park (Plumas County), Sacramento, Clear Lake, Quincy, etc. Anything within about 150-175 miles is no problem for me but I like to drive, so...

Old 05-30-2020, 12:47 AM

73 posts, read 39,124 times
Intresting question. Trails and parks are a part of the city, but hiking and simple fishing is 10 minutes, with vast boating and fresh water fishing in rivers, lakes, streams, and serious hikes and camping are between 30 minutes to 45 minute drive, and I never leave Virginia. My metro is Arlington, VA, which is next door to Washington, DC. I've been taking my kids fishing and skateboarding everyday during coronavirus at these locations, and have done more outdoors stuff during this time than my entire four years living here. Notwithstanding that my cul de sac became a mini playground for kids of all ages just before our phase one opening. I doubt the trend will end, looks like everyone is having too much fun.

Last edited by Vernum; 05-30-2020 at 01:00 AM..

Old 05-30-2020, 12:58 AM

73 posts, read 39,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
The DC area has a ton of places within a days drive. I drove to Philly last week in 2 hours. In addition to Philly, you have Baltimore, Annapolis, Richmond, and Charlottesville within 1-2 1/2 hours away without traffic. You can do NYC and Pittsburgh in a day but I would say those are more weekend trips since they are both 4-5 hours away. The beach is 2 hours away including Ocean City and the Delaware beaches. Shenandoah National Park and Blue Ridge Mountains are like an hour and half and are doable for day trips.

I love a weekend trip to NYC (I live in the DC area), but prefer to use the GO Bus over grayhound for a comfier ride. I've gotten my trip logistics down and pretty cheap. Can't wait for everything to get back to normal, as I was planning for several Broadway shows.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:40 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
From northern Vermont my day trip range includes....

Montreal (1 hour & 15 minutes) and Quebec's Eastern townships
Lake Placid & the Adirondacks, NY
The rest of Vermont down to Brattleboro
White Mountains of New Hampshire

Southern New England, Maine, and the coast require an overnight as that's pushing about 4+ hours.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:51 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
2 hours to get to Wilmington beaches from Raleigh is about the longest “normal” day trip. People might do 3 hours for a Panthers game or Kings Dominion/Busch Gardens. But in general most 3-hour trips (OBX, Asheville, Myrtle) are overnight stays.

Old 05-30-2020, 06:12 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
I live in Sacramento, the OP does not.

Most of the time, it is a nice easy day trip to Lake Tahoe from Sacramento. For most in the Metro, it averages 1 hour to 2 hours.

The fact is that Sacramento is as close as 15 minutes away from decent amounts of snow in the Sierras; we do not have to go to ski resorts for snowy recreation, nor do we have to go to Lake Tahoe itself for mountain summer recreation spring, summer and fall.

From much of the Sacramento Metro you can be in 2,000-5,000 foot mountains in 15 minutes to 45 minutes. From west to east, Lake Tahoe is on the far end, most of the mountain recreation/wilderness is on the closer end to Sacramento.

It is rare that the two major interstate highway routes to Lake Tahoe from Sacramento "turn into parking lots". As an avid life long snow skier and a "weekend warrior" I've only been "stuck in traffic" once, yep only once in the last 15-20 years of going to ski resorts in Tahoe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.