Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 11:40 AM

95 posts, read 82,020 times

Advertisements

I’m looking for a place to live in the US that’s near/on water. These are the things I’m looking for:

-Near a lake or the ocean (or large river)
-Near the either coast (within a 2 hour drive to the ocean)
-A warmer/mild climate
-Boating (my husband likes to fish too)
-Not too bad of natural disasters
-Good Schools
-Near amenities/good hospitals

I would love to be near the ocean somewhere that I can have a speed boat (like an inlet area), but I want to be near stuff too!

Anyone have any places they can think of?! Thank you sooo much!!!!

Katy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 03:03 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,520,231 times
Opelike/Auburn, Alabama meets all your needs. With Auburn University, you have culture and great athletics.

Lake Martin is just north of there, and it's a 46,000 acre lake with magnificent residences. Alabama property taxes are ridiculously low, and there's no state income taxes on defined pensions or social security.

And the cost of living should be about as low as it gets.

The Florida and Alabama Gulf Coasts are also very close, and they're happening places. Atlanta's less than a 2 hour drive too with their great airport.

Opelika and Auburn are fast growing, but have essentially been overlooked by many retirees and people looking for a high quality of life.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:38 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Check out Columbia SC

The suburbs in/around Blythewood and Pontiac on the NE side of Columbia in Richland County provide top tier schools, safe family-friendly neighborhoods and a number of lakes including nearby Lake Carolina and gigantic Lake Murray about 30 minutes away. The area has a nice mild four season climate minus snow/ice and is two hours to the beaches. Lastly, it's very affordable and a bargain for the lifestyle provided.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Opelike/Auburn, Alabama meets all your needs. With Auburn University, you have culture and great athletics.

Lake Martin is just north of there, and it's a 46,000 acre lake with magnificent residences. Alabama property taxes are ridiculously low, and there's no state income taxes on defined pensions or social security.

And the cost of living should be about as low as it gets.

The Florida and Alabama Gulf Coasts are also very close, and they're happening places. Atlanta's less than a 2 hour drive too with their great airport.

Opelika and Auburn are fast growing, but have essentially been overlooked by many retirees and people looking for a high quality of life.
Thank you, I’ll look into this area! I was originally thinking more east coast or west coast, but will look into here!

Old 05-31-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Columbia SC

The suburbs in/around Blythewood and Pontiac on the NE side of Columbia in Richland County provide top tier schools, safe family-friendly neighborhoods and a number of lakes including nearby Lake Carolina and gigantic Lake Murray about 30 minutes away. The area has a nice mild four season climate minus snow/ice and is two hours to the beaches. Lastly, it's very affordable and a bargain for the lifestyle provided.
Thank you!! My only questions about here are:

Are the earthquakes bad?
Are the hurricanes bad?

Thanks a ton!!

Old 05-31-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprushiek View Post
Thank you!! My only questions about here are:

Are the earthquakes bad?
Are the hurricanes bad?

Thanks a ton!!
Neither, there aren't any earthquakes I don't believe on record there and in terms of hurricanes a few over time but that far inland it's usually just a good amount of rain and some 40-50 mph winds for a few hours. Certainly not frightening or devastating.

Old 05-31-2020, 05:15 PM

Thanks a ton!!

On the “earthquake map” it looks like there is a fault area near Charleston.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:59 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,333,624 times
The Northshore of New Orleans is situated on a huge estuary called Lake Pontchatrain. Towns like Covington and Mandeville are worth checking out. Lots of boating, fishing capital of the region, open ocean 1 hour away in Biloxi, and Major hospitals and amenities lie on the south shore of the New Orleans metro area.

Natural disasters? I've never heard of such things.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The Northshore of New Orleans is situated on a huge estuary called Lake Pontchatrain. Towns like Covington and Mandeville are worth checking out. Lots of boating, fishing capital of the region, open ocean 1 hour away in Biloxi, and Major hospitals and amenities lie on the south shore of the New Orleans metro area.

Other than itty bitty examples such as Hurricane Katrina and 27 others since the year 2000.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

Thank you, I’ll check out this area!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.