U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2016, 10:34 PM
 
11,818 posts, read 9,217,357 times
Reputation: 15234

Advertisements

No question here.. Just venting.

Let's see.. Last summer, PE that runs from my well pressure tank to the house inlet developed a pinhole leak.. I noticed a wet spot on the foundation, had to crawl under.. Cut the bad section out, put a coupler in.. Then found it had a pinhole leak at the other end.. Put a coupler in there.. Turned the water back on.. Then a pinhole leak developed in the middle.. Screw it.. Pulled the whole length out, put in replacement.

In November, bottom fell out of the hot water heater.. Replaced it.. Plus $1000 for repair of the flooring that it damaged.

Noticed some water pressure problems the last few days.. Well, the filter hasn't been replaced in far too long.. Stuck my head under the house today.. Leaking at the filter.. Learned my lesson there, since the position it was in made it difficult to tell exactly where the leak was.. I just pulled the whole filter and put a new one in..

Get out, turn the water on.. Pressure is the best I can remember.. But, it's fluctuating.. Turn on the outside spigot near the pressure tank.. Notice that the switch is cycling about every 5 seconds.. Check the schrader valve on top of the tank.. Water comes spewing out.. Sure sign of a ruptured bladder in the pressure tank.So.. Picked up a new pressure tank.. Too late in the day to start on the replacement of that.. So, that'll be a project for next weekend, most likely. Of course, it's not just a pressure tank.. Replace the pressure switch, the gauge, etc, etc..

Now I'm getting nervous about the well pump itself, water lines running under my floors, even the water pump on my vehicle. Or.. Perhaps the water is going to be sneaky and my roof will fail or something.. I've just determined that water is out to get me.

13 is apparently my unlucky number, as the house is 13 years old this year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2016, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,700 posts, read 26,599,860 times
Reputation: 37677
Bummer! The downside of home ownership sucks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
28,155 posts, read 18,499,216 times
Reputation: 43960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
No question here.. Just venting.

Let's see.. Last summer, PE that runs from my well pressure tank to the house inlet developed a pinhole leak.. I noticed a wet spot on the foundation, had to crawl under.. Cut the bad section out, put a coupler in.. Then found it had a pinhole leak at the other end.. Put a coupler in there.. Turned the water back on.. Then a pinhole leak developed in the middle.. Screw it.. Pulled the whole length out, put in replacement.

In November, bottom fell out of the hot water heater.. Replaced it.. Plus $1000 for repair of the flooring that it damaged.

Noticed some water pressure problems the last few days.. Well, the filter hasn't been replaced in far too long.. Stuck my head under the house today.. Leaking at the filter.. Learned my lesson there, since the position it was in made it difficult to tell exactly where the leak was.. I just pulled the whole filter and put a new one in..

Get out, turn the water on.. Pressure is the best I can remember.. But, it's fluctuating.. Turn on the outside spigot near the pressure tank.. Notice that the switch is cycling about every 5 seconds.. Check the schrader valve on top of the tank.. Water comes spewing out.. Sure sign of a ruptured bladder in the pressure tank.So.. Picked up a new pressure tank.. Too late in the day to start on the replacement of that.. So, that'll be a project for next weekend, most likely. Of course, it's not just a pressure tank.. Replace the pressure switch, the gauge, etc, etc..

Now I'm getting nervous about the well pump itself, water lines running under my floors, even the water pump on my vehicle. Or.. Perhaps the water is going to be sneaky and my roof will fail or something.. I've just determined that water is out to get me.

13 is apparently my unlucky number, as the house is 13 years old this year.
We replaced a well pump twice I believe in the 26 years we had a well. I hate this sort of headache. I wish you well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 05:04 AM
 
Location: LI,NY zone 7a
2,221 posts, read 1,521,167 times
Reputation: 2721
Ahh, waiting for the next shoe to drop! I feel your pain. Maybe the water tank will be that extra candle everyone puts on the cake for luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 08:33 AM
 
24,839 posts, read 34,246,616 times
Reputation: 11510
Don't wait to long..........a bad tank will kill a water pump in a hurry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 08:39 AM
 
24,839 posts, read 34,246,616 times
Reputation: 11510
Also, the new hot water heaters...........some will make your hot water stink..........just remove the anode.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 03:38 PM
 
11,818 posts, read 9,217,357 times
Reputation: 15234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Don't wait to long..........a bad tank will kill a water pump in a hurry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Also, the new hot water heaters...........some will make your hot water stink..........just remove the anode.
The good news there is that I got all the parts yesterday and got the pressure tank "assembled" ready to go in.. So, all I'll have to do is go under the house, turn off the supply, drain the old tank, disconnect 2 PE lines coming in and going out, disconnect power to the pressure switch.. Place the new one, reconnect water, reconnect power to the switch.. Should be good... So long as I didn't put the parts together and make it so it won't fit in the door under the house..

The bad news is.. I work until 7pm, and am 30 mins from home.. So, it'll be dark when I try to do this tonight. I can go to the gym to take a shower if need be.. And, i'm in the country, so I can pee outside.. Just have to remember to poop before disconnecting the water.

My well pump seems to be on top, which.. I thought was odd. I'm not fully 'up' on wells, but I thought those pumps were usually down the well. While replacing a $200-$300 motor wouldn't be fun.. It's at least something I could do if I had to from the looks of it.

HWH has been in 4 months.. It's working fine. I actually went with a smaller unit on that.. 40 gal to 30 gal, since it's just me in the house. I use low-flow everything, and the only time I use hot water is in the shower.. So.. I probably use 10gal a day of hot water at most.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 04:49 PM
 
11,818 posts, read 9,217,357 times
Reputation: 15234
Well, that takes care of that project..

Anyone familiar with working with "PE" tubing? If so, what is the trick to installing that? 1 inch tubing, you cannot get it onto 1 inch connectors. Is the trick that you're supposed to heat it up first or something?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 05:27 PM
 
Location: The Grand Canyon State
6,547 posts, read 3,364,044 times
Reputation: 5605
Are you talking about PEX flexible water lines? I have used PEX 3/4" works great the stuff is tough.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 07:04 PM
 
11,818 posts, read 9,217,357 times
Reputation: 15234
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Are you talking about PEX flexible water lines? I have used PEX 3/4" works great the stuff is tough.
No.. I learned all about PEX when the hot water heater went out.(I do like the colors available and color coded blue for cold water and red for hot water there). I had never worked with it before, and OF COURSE they used all the 'pinch' connectors for it, which was a pain to get off.. Wound up using a dremel to cut them.

I'm talking about PE.. Polyethelene tubing.

1 in. x 100 ft. IPS 100 psi NSF Poly Pipe-X2-1100100 - The Home Depot

There were 2 pieces of it.. a 1" piece running from my well to the filter, then 3/4" running from the pressure tank into the house.

Well, 3 pieces, I guess.. The third piece was a 1" piece coming off the filter into the pressure tank. It was a small piece.. I wound up removing it, because I was going to break the PVC for the filter trying to get the fitting on it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top