Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which small state is good for living, work, and play?
Maine 7 18.42%
New Hampshire 8 21.05%
Vermont 7 18.42%
Rhode Island 4 10.53%
Connecticut 6 15.79%
New Jersey 9 23.68%
Delaware 5 13.16%
Other (post your suggestions) 2 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 02:19 PM

525 posts, read 718,929 times

Advertisements

I have thought about relocating to one of smaller states with close proximity to major cities. Most of them are in the Northeast including Delaware in Mid-Atlantic region. I like that idea compared to moving to the middle of nowhere like Wyoming if that makes sense.

My husband and I are a same-sex couple. We happen to be liberal. I am the one who is politically active. My husband is a Wiccan while I am not religious (Secular Humanist). We enjoy hiking on trails by rivers and lakes and out in the woods. I am a school counselor so I can work for any state government or school district. My husband can work anywhere in retail. We like to go to gay bars once awhile. We have no children and we are open to either fostering or adopting one later in the future. Good economy is important.

We really want all 4 seasons including white winters and less humid mild summers for a change.

So far, we are interested in Maine, New Hampshire, and Delaware. Vermont seems to be too far from Boston Metro for our taste. Both Connecticut and New Jersey are ridiculously expensive while Rhode Island's economy is struggling. We are also open to other suggestions.

Tell me which small states in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic region you think is a good match for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 02:27 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Delaware is your best bet.

New Hampshire doesn’t have a progressive or freewheeling vibes more of a grungy libertarian feel with some of the most republican/conservative politics in the Northeast. I’d imagine not many gay bars.

Maine’s median age is 47+ and rising. It’s heavily geared toward the middle aged. If that you-then ok. It’s also terribly cold. Too cold. Economy isn’t great.

I’d go Delaware and then New Hampshire for you.

Old 08-18-2020, 03:11 PM

525 posts, read 718,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Delaware is your best bet.

New Hampshire doesn’t have a progressive or freewheeling vibes more of a grungy libertarian feel with some of the most republican/conservative politics in the Northeast. I’d imagine not many gay bars.

Maine’s median age is 47+ and rising. It’s heavily geared toward the middle aged. If that you-then ok. It’s also terribly cold. Too cold. Economy isn’t great.

I’d go Delaware and then New Hampshire for you.

My husband and I are in our mid-30's.

Which city/town do you recommend in Delaware? I've heard of Wilmington and Rehoboth Beach.

I'm also open to Vermont and Virginia if they are worth considering.

Isn't Vermont demographics similar to Maine with older population?

I've been impressed with Virginia politics lately because Virginia has moved forwarded and became a more reliably Democratic state.

Old 08-18-2020, 04:42 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,945 times
Don't forget western Massachusetts. Plenty of people in the Northampton / Pioneer Valley region share some or all of the interests that you described. Better access to nature than the Boston area. And you would still have the white winters and less humid summers (which you would definitely lose some of in New Jersey and Delaware). The economy I think is OK but not great; southern New Hampshire's is probably better.

Old 08-18-2020, 04:58 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,085,339 times
Delaware's probably your best bet when you combine access to major metros (Philly, Bmore, DC, NYC), beaches (Rehoboth, Dewey, Bethany, Ocean City, MD, the Jersey Shore) and affordability relative to neighboring states. You can live comfortably in a more relaxed, laid back environment with access to all of these great amenities.

Old 08-18-2020, 06:18 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Maine

Old 08-18-2020, 06:39 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Funny to see Maine on a "small state" list, considering you could combine most of these states and it would all fit into Maine. It's not a particularly large state, but when measured up against the rest of the New England states it's a beast. Kittery, Maine is about closer to New York City (266 miles) than it is to Caribou, Maine (348 miles).

My husband and I chose to move to my favorite small state in 2019, here to stay. Vermont is distant from Boston, though the close proximity to Montreal balances that out for me (2020 border closures notwithstanding) and there's lots of fun gay bars up there. I do like Maine a lot though, it would be have been my second choice. I love the Maine coast and Ogunquit can be fun. I don't know much about Delaware but I thought Rehoboth Beach was cute and probably the most affordable state on the list with a pretty low tax burden.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-18-2020 at 07:34 PM..

Old 08-18-2020, 06:56 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
My husband and I are in our mid-30's.

Which city/town do you recommend in Delaware? I've heard of Wilmington and Rehoboth Beach.

I'm also open to Vermont and Virginia if they are worth considering.

Isn't Vermont demographics similar to Maine with older population?

I've been impressed with Virginia politics lately because Virginia has moved forwarded and became a more reliably Democratic state.
I'm not very familiar with Delaware. Maybe Newark, Dover or Middletown. Wilmington is pretty high crime little city.

Both Maine and Vermont are 95% white and two of the oldest states in the nation. Vermont is more liberal/progressive and a tad bit younger. Its also half as populated.

Virginia would fit your bill but its too humid and its a large state.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:27 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Default what about Maryland?

It offers multiple options -- you could live in a big urban area (Baltimore or DC suburbs),
or in a much smaller city, but still not far from the big ones. You could live near
the Chesapeake Bay, or live near the mountains in Western Maryland.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:32 PM

136 posts, read 116,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I'm not very familiar with Delaware. Maybe Newark, Dover or Middletown. Wilmington is pretty high crime little city.
Dover is pretty high crime as well, but with lesser employment and entertainment options than Wilmington, and significantly further away from the bigger cities.

Wilmington gets a bad rap for its high crime rate, but it’s not like the entire city is a shelled out mess like Chester, East St. Louis, or Gary. It’s a dense, walkable city (think mini-Philly/Baltimore) with some beautiful and vibrant neighborhoods and parks. Like most cities with high crime rates, it’s mostly gang related and pretty confined to a handful of neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.