Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which small state is good for living, work, and play?
Maine 7 18.42%
New Hampshire 8 21.05%
Vermont 7 18.42%
Rhode Island 4 10.53%
Connecticut 6 15.79%
New Jersey 9 23.68%
Delaware 5 13.16%
Other (post your suggestions) 2 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 09:05 AM

525 posts, read 718,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Funny to see Maine on a "small state" list, considering you could combine most of these states and it would all fit into Maine. It's not a particularly large state, but when measured up against the rest of the New England states it's a beast. Kittery, Maine is about closer to New York City (266 miles) than it is to Caribou, Maine (348 miles).

My husband and I chose to move to my favorite small state in 2019, here to stay. Vermont is distant from Boston, though the close proximity to Montreal balances that out for me (2020 border closures notwithstanding) and there's lots of fun gay bars up there. I do like Maine a lot though, it would be have been my second choice. I love the Maine coast and Ogunquit can be fun. I don't know much about Delaware but I thought Rehoboth Beach was cute and probably the most affordable state on the list with a pretty low tax burden.
I didn't realize that Montreal is in close proximity to Burlington, VT. Is Burlington a vibrant younger city compared to rest of Vermont? It should be due to the university.

Low tax burden is what I find very appealing about Delaware. Other than the highest property tax in the country, New Hampshire is also relatively low on taxes and having no income tax other than on interest similar to Texas.

I have been to New Hampshire. I find the state to be gorgeous. You could live in Manchester and be by one of the lakes surrounding Laconia and see the coast in Rye or Portsmouth within an hour. Washington Mountain is not too far away up north either. It is also cool about New Hampshire primary every four years as a person who is interested in politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Maine
Which areas in Maine do you recommend for a gay male couple in mid-30's?

Old 08-19-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
It offers multiple options -- you could live in a big urban area (Baltimore or DC suburbs),
or in a much smaller city, but still not far from the big ones. You could live near
the Chesapeake Bay, or live near the mountains in Western Maryland.
I have thought about Maryland before. Annapolis is beautiful with close proximity to water and D.C. I also like Frederick. Many also suggested West Virginia and Northern Virginia as other options. I don't know much about Northern Virginia. I think West Virginia is too far for my taste.

Old 08-19-2020, 01:06 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
I have thought about Maryland before. Annapolis is beautiful with close proximity to water and D.C. I also like Frederick. Many also suggested West Virginia and Northern Virginia as other options. I don't know much about Northern Virginia. I think West Virginia is too far for my taste.
Northern VA is fairly expensive (DC suburbs). Some beautiful areas but very busy, suburban sprawl everywhere.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:38 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
I didn't realize that Montreal is in close proximity to Burlington, VT. Is Burlington a vibrant younger city compared to rest of Vermont? It should be due to the university.
Montreal is fabulous! I live just north of Burlington and pre-COVID I'd go up for the day for shopping trips or just to get a day in the city, and spent a good number of weekends there too. Quebec City and Ottawa are also both a 3-4 hour drive away (same distance as Boston). Burlington for sure is absolutely a contrast to the rest of the state and a lot more youthful. It's a mixture of touristy and college town. The college presence is very palpable. It's a small city in a small state, but Montreal being nearby does stimulate the urban craving to pick up the slack that Burlington doesn't meet.

My favorite thing about Burlington is its setting on Lake Champlain with mountain views and nice sunsets. If you're looking for hiking, lakes, and woods, Vermont has that in spades and the best skiing in the east if you're into that. It's also an agricultural state with lots of small family farms. Locally sourced food is something that is very much valued in VT. I've moved around a bit (Mass, Seattle, Albuquerque/Santa Fe and now VT), but this is somewhere that I've made a connection to that I want to put roots down here. It's definitely not for everyone, but I love it. PM me if you'd like.

Quote:
I have been to New Hampshire. I find the state to be gorgeous. You could live in Manchester and be by one of the lakes surrounding Laconia and see the coast in Rye or Portsmouth within an hour. Washington Mountain is not too far away up north either. It is also cool about New Hampshire primary every four years as a person who is interested in politics.
Yes New Hampshire is scenic in a lot of places. It's definitely a different vibe there than Vermont. Can't say I'd want to live in Manchester. It's a mill town and a very average city, kinda dicey in spots. Portsmouth is my favorite city in NH, its a beautiful old harbor town and a lot more eclectic. If you want to be removed from the city but still have good access to Boston, New Hampshire or southern Maine (including Portland) would be your best bet. Ogunquit, ME has a large LGBT presence. Salem, MA has a large wiccan presence (duh!), which I'm sure your husband probably knows.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-19-2020 at 05:06 PM..

Old 08-19-2020, 07:03 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Maryland should be a choice.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:04 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Wait, you are not listing Massachusetts or Maryland? Why?

Because they each have their own major-major city?

Old 10-10-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Wait, you are not listing Massachusetts or Maryland? Why?

Because they each have their own major-major city?
I am open to Maryland and Massachusetts. What are your suggestions?

Frederick and Annapolis in Maryland sound nice. Southern New Hampshire looks like an alternative to rural Western Massachusetts based on close proximity to Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.