Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 08:15 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times

Advertisements

I side with Nigerian on this one I also think it’s undercounted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 04:06 AM

817 posts, read 627,318 times
The PNW has a significant East African population, mainly Ethiopians, Somalis and Eritreans

Old 04-13-2022, 08:13 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
But you'd have to offer that same benefit of a doubt to every other ethnicity. We cant pick and choose who we think are under counted vs. who arent.

Theres a good chance its not that undercounted as well. Nigerians in Houston arent exactly spread throughout the city. Its a very large community, but centered in specific parts of the city like Alief, Mission Bend, West Houston, and parts of Fort Bend County. You wont find large clusters very many other places.

This kind of goes back to the "feelings" thing Im so opposed to. Depending on the part of Houston you live, you might think Nigerians are severely under counted, but in other parts of the city you might be surprised to find there are any Nigerians here at all. Thats why we have to go based on the statistics available to us because the sources are far better equipped to determine a more accurate number than we are.
I see your point, but I will say that, in my experience, Africans and immediate successive generations tend to keep much more of their home country cultural identities where I feel comfortable calling even 2nd and 3rd generations Nigerian Americans (as an example) African as a group as opposed to, say, African American. They'll also often keep a pretty decent hold on their "home" languages. And you'll find that Africans in the US do not generally identify as African Americans, but as ethnic groups from their "home" countries or just as African. And this includes 2nd and 3rd generation folk in my experience.

Old 04-15-2022, 12:47 PM

638 posts, read 348,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlebar View Post
Surprised there are African immigrants at all what with America’s racism, systemic racism, white privilege, police holocaust against the black community etc...why would they want to come to America, the land of black oppression?
I can’t tell if you are being sarcastic but I assume you are.

Most African immigrants don’t see the United States that way. In fact most are culturally conservative with a strong sense of family preferring not to see themselves as victims. The left in this country will be surprised to learn that many immigrants coming to the United States are going to tilt this country more conservative.

Last edited by Thealpinist; 04-15-2022 at 12:56 PM..

Old 04-24-2022, 05:09 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,462,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
I would wager that the Moroccan and Egyptian immigrants would be overwhelmingly represented in NY/NJ followed by Michigan and Cali (in absolute numbers). Anyway to confirm this? Just an (uneducated ) guess.
Are there any North African specific enclaves in California ?

Old 04-24-2022, 08:41 PM

817 posts, read 627,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Are there any North African specific enclaves in California ?
California's MENA population consists of mainly Jews, Iranians, Syrians and Armenians. Not so much North African groups
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.