Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 06:24 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenophile View Post
Hi!

I'm not American, and in my country, the typical image (or the stereotypical) of Americans are that of Californian hippies, bikini-clad valley girls, or that of the "less-educated" and somewhat "overweight" southerners (and sometimes the very serious people on the streets wearing their suits, scowls on their faces, always running off to their next PowerPoint presentation!)

I know that these stereotypes are completely false (for example, all of the southerners whom I know personally are slim and highly educated). Even if these apply to some, everyone is free to choose his own lifestyle, diet, or level of education. A postgraduate degree or six-abs does not necessarily make you better than others.

Having said that, when I saw the video clips of The Petersens like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qap9Qm-Q894

I was impressed by these people. I'm not talking now about their musical talent, they are amazing (no tattoos, no twerking, no swearing, no auto-tune. They are simply showing their talent. They don’t have to show skin, wear revealing clothing, be vulgar in dance, use inciting or sexual words or behavior. Just pure, beautiful music and souls!)

In which part of American can you find good-looking, well-shaped people who are at the same time demure, dressing elegantly but modestly, and maybe a little bit conservative?
I have a degree, but I've also learned WAY more just living life in my 55 years. I understand the difference between having a piece of paper that indicates that I've passed a given set of classes in a particular skill set and being wise, having critical thinking skills (incredibly lacking today), treating others well, being introspective/insightful, having "life smarts", respecting others, and working well with people. Of the people who have the latter, most don't have a degree. There's nothing wrong with a college education. But a degree can bring with it a certain level of self-righteousness and pretension that's unwarranted. Don't be impressed by one's diploma. Be impressed by their character and wisdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 07:36 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Wow, must have struck a nerve, lol. The OP made their point clear in their post. There's no need to get so uptight because the girls in the girls in the video are more conservative.
The OP's point is "Where can I find people like in this music video posted for profit on a video platform?" My point is that it's a commercial product which does not allow you to make any assumptions about the political opinions or lifestyles of the people appearing therein.

The type of music this group is playing dictates a certain style of clothing and overall appearance in order to project a certain image appealing to the people who are interested in that music.

It's like someone asking in the 80s "where can I find folks like this in the U.S.?" referring to a Prince music video.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:07 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenophile View Post
In which part of American can you find good-looking, well-shaped people who are at the same time demure, dressing elegantly but modestly, and maybe a little bit conservative?
Utah

Old 09-10-2020, 11:50 AM

9 posts, read 3,427 times
The Midwest! Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas

You'll find a lot of modest people here who are usually genuinely nice people.

I'm from the Midwest and from what I've experienced most people here are kind, modest, and generally keep to themselves.

However these people are probably strong conservative Christians and if you don't look like them or believe what they believe you will certainly be viewed as an outsider. There are communities like this in Utah, Missouri, Tennessee, North Carolina.

Old 09-10-2020, 12:48 PM

50 posts, read 183,333 times
In which part of the US can one find people like this? (The Petersen Family)

The obvious answer is at a John Denver tribute concert!

Old 09-10-2020, 02:10 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
I am curious in which part of the country do people have the least tattoos. Seems like they are very popular her in Texas.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:46 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Williamson County, TN
Rockwall County, TX
Fayette County, GA
Coweta County, GA

To be more specific (judgmental), I'm picturing an exurban bedroom community in a major metro area with homes on 1+ acre lots and "wealthy but blue collar" people.
Generally agreed. Deep South and areas with least poverty. Also Mormon areas of interior West.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:51 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverie777 View Post
The Midwest! Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas

You'll find a lot of modest people here who are usually genuinely nice people.

I'm from the Midwest and from what I've experienced most people here are kind, modest, and generally keep to themselves.

However these people are probably strong conservative Christians and if you don't look like them or believe what they believe you will certainly be viewed as an outsider. There are communities like this in Utah, Missouri, Tennessee, North Carolina.
They live in Branson, Missouri (or as Homer calls it, "Vegas if it were run by Ned Flanders"), so you're spot on.

Old 09-15-2020, 04:38 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Not Los Angeles or the Inland Empire, I'll tell you that much.

Yeah? You could've told me that those girls were Temecula/Murrieta locals and I wouldn't have debated you.

Ever been to Rancho Santa Margarita? Encinitas? Rancho Bernardo? Valencia? Simi Valley? Agoura Hills? Camarillo? There are girls and families that look like that all over Southern California.

I've even seen girls and families that look that way here in west Palmdale, at the local Vons.

Old 09-15-2020, 04:46 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Branson, MO
These types always show up there sooner or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.