Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 02:27 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times

Advertisements

I am begining to think some people either list with an extra digit, usually one zero too many

ROCKVILLE, MD 20850
$87,888,888
1 Bed, 1 Bath
0.75 Acres

SILVER SPRING, MD 20910
$8,000,000
3 Bed, 1 Bath
0.49 Acres

Are those two properties an error in price? I know the first one is very obviously an error. The second one looks like it was supposed to be listed for either $80k or $800k and there was 1 or 2 zeros too many by error.

Other prices arent exactly errors but just totally unrelistic and wishful thinking. Maybe the seller thinks his small house is worth the same as the big house that sold a few blocks away. I see sellers listing at unrelistic prices all the time anywhere from 20% to 200% too high. Someone wants $3.7m for
3 Bed, 1.75 Bath 1,212 Sq. Ft. 0.06 Acres in Newport Beach, CA 92662.
This comes out to $3048 a foot! The funny thing is others are selling bigger, nicer houses a few blocks away from his for half the price!

Anyone see a seller list erroneously or unrealistically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 06:12 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,796,703 times
As far as the prices in Cali, that is about right for that size house. My godfather lives outside San Diego and he paid $2m for a house about 1100 sq. ft. It seems pricey, yes... but you have to keep in mind the area, and the cost of living changes everywhere

Old 12-28-2006, 06:28 AM

Wow! Does he have an oceanfront beach house? Did it come with acres of land? May I ask what area that was?

Old 12-28-2006, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Wow! Does he have an oceanfront beach house? Did it come with acres of land? May I ask what area that was?
I don't think its on the beach. I know it doesn't come with much acreage (there are way too many people in Cali to really get acreage with homes unless you are an actor or live in the country) I don't know what area it is, to be honest. I just know its outside of San Diego. Its a pretty house, I know that, and its sturdy to try and withstand the earthquakes.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:39 AM

Ive seen my fair share of acreage homes, some were reasonably less expensive, others were a few million. Do you remember anything special about his house or location to cost $2m? That is a very high price for 1100 square feet and a tiny lot!

Old 12-28-2006, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Ive seen my fair share of acreage homes, some were reasonably less expensive, others were a few million. Do you remember anything special about his house or location to cost $2m? That is a very high price for 1100 square feet and a tiny lot!
I haven't see this house. The last time I saw him was when I was in 2nd grade. I just know what he has told me and showed my family pictures of via email. Sorry, I can't be of much help..especially since I am in Missouri

Old 12-28-2006, 07:49 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
The California prices seem about right, but I'm sure the Maryland ones are in error... I was actually born in Silver Spring & also lived in Rockville, and they're both middle-class neighborhoods. Rockville is pretty nice, but I doubt they have homes worth $87 Million!! Potomac is one of the most expensive parts of that region, and even they don't have listings that high.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:11 AM

I thought so too! Must be embarresing to the realtor! Another thing, even if theres prices that arent in error, many sellers simply are asking too much, I can tell in two ways, most obviously the fact another seller is selling a bigger better house and/or bigger lot for equal or less and the fact Zillow zestimates confirm some people are asking way too much. Even if you want to ignore Zillow, you can see for yourself in the pictures of the sellers houses!
I understand the expensive house could be extremely nice inside or in a "special" location but sometimes there just isnt enough reasons to justify a much higher tag. Basically one house could cost $200k, another house cost $400k and the $400k house is about 1.5 times better locationwise but yet it costs double!

Old 12-28-2006, 09:20 AM

612 posts, read 2,779,158 times
Quote:
I thought so too! Must be embarresing to the realtor! Another thing, even if theres prices that arent in error, many sellers simply are asking too much, I can tell in two ways, most obviously the fact another seller is selling a bigger better house and/or bigger lot for equal or less and the fact Zillow zestimates confirm some people are asking way too much. Even if you want to ignore Zillow, you can see for yourself in the pictures of the sellers houses!
I understand the expensive house could be extremely nice inside or in a "special" location but sometimes there just isnt enough reasons to justify a much higher tag. Basically one house could cost $200k, another house cost $400k and the $400k house is about 1.5 times better locationwise but yet it costs double!
Zillow, scmillow. My next door neighbor's house is valued $15,000 more than mine yet he has no garage or pool like mine and has newspapers hanging in some of his windows. The inside is a garbage dump. He has about 2,000 feet more land but he will never, ever sell it for more than I'm selling mine for.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:10 AM

Maybe his house has seen better days? Zillow sometimes can be months or even years behind. All you have to do is email them and they will update. Anyway keep those posts comming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.