Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,097 times

Advertisements

Hello! My wife and I are seeking to move from Southeast Texas (Beaumont) where we have spent all 26 of our years.
We have a 7 month old baby and would love to bring him up in a place different than the one we’ve spent our whole lives in.

We do not want to live a suburban life, but would like to not be ridiculously far from the city so we could venture there regularly. 30-60min drive. We would like to live near mountains, in a more liberal place than the Bible Belt down here and somewhere with a relatively low COL.
I drive for FedEx Freight and she is currently and for the foreseeable future a stay at home mom.

I know We will probably have to settle for 75% of our preferences rather than find 100%.

Last edited by Wowzagee; 12-01-2021 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 02:08 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,158,753 times
Are you looking to move nationwide, or do you have a particular area in mind? If you do have an area in mind, then you might pick the state specific blogs. Otherwise you might get come to Washington, or Maine, or South Carolina, etc. It's a big country with lots of Mountain Ranges near big cities and small ones, most of them very different from south Texas. Good Luck!!

Old 12-02-2021, 07:57 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,759,848 times
Liberal, rural, mountains:

I'd think places like:

Blue Ridge/Jasper/Ellijay GA (close to Atlanta/Chattanooga)
Charlottesville
Delaware Water Gap (NJ/PA), (near Allentown, NYC, Wilkes-Barre-Scranton)
Vermont
New Hampshire
Waynesville/Brevard/Hendersonville (Asheville)
The berkshires (Springfield/Albany)
The Poconos

Old 12-02-2021, 08:35 AM

2,395 posts, read 2,394,189 times
You’ve got a lot of choices with that criteria. Any preference on weather? Geographic preferences? Etc.

Old 12-02-2021, 11:44 AM

12,275 posts, read 8,235,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post

I'd think places like:

Charlottesville
Vermont
New Hampshire
The Poconos
boom. this list is +1

Old 12-02-2021, 04:48 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,599,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Are you looking to move nationwide, or do you have a particular area in mind? If you do have an area in mind, then you might pick the state specific blogs. Otherwise you might get come to Washington, or Maine, or South Carolina, etc. It's a big country with lots of Mountain Ranges near big cities and small ones, most of them very different from south Texas. Good Luck!!
Not sure why you would suggest SC when it's a red state and the OP is blue. It's not fair to the blue individuals or the red state residents. For what they requested, ME and WA would be great choices.

Old 12-03-2021, 05:42 AM

94,503 posts, read 125,518,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post

I'd think places like:

Charlottesville
Vermont
New Hampshire
The Poconos
I’d add Ulster County NY, with the western part in the Catskills and towns like Saugerties, New Paltz, Woodstock and a small city like Kingston having an artsy reputation/feel.

Old 12-03-2021, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
You’ve got a lot of choices with that criteria. Any preference on weather? Geographic preferences? Etc.
No real preference geographically.
We’re mostly looking for something different than where we’ve lived our whole lives.
We want to experience all 4 seasons, mountains, and have a little piece of land where neighbors won’t really bother us.

Old 12-03-2021, 09:51 AM

16,248 posts, read 10,947,411 times
I live on 1.3 acres between Albuquerque and Santa Fe in northern Rio Rancho. It is high desert and the mountains are clearly visible: Sandias, Monzanos, Sangre de Cristos, and Jemez. It is a Goldilocks four-season climate. NM is a blue state. COL is reasonable.

Old 12-03-2021, 11:46 AM

2,395 posts, read 2,394,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowzagee View Post
No real preference geographically.
We’re mostly looking for something different than where we’ve lived our whole lives.
We want to experience all 4 seasons, mountains, and have a little piece of land where neighbors won’t really bother us.
Much of Upstate NY and Vermont should work well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.