Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 02:47 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
San Antonio doesnt feel Southern to me. It and Fort Worth are distinctly Texan to the exclusion of everything else. The only major city in Texas that actually feels Southern to me is Houston. Dallas is a mix of South, West, and Great Plains.
This is actually how I see it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 06:06 AM

1,351 posts, read 896,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
The question wasn't about the Southeast...it was about the South.
When people talk about "the South" they are generally referring to the southeast.

No one refers to Arizona as "the South" even though it border Mexico. Just like "the North" usually means "Northeast" or "eastern Midwest". Montana borders Canada, but it's not what people usually mean with that comment.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
If you ever lived in Texas, you'd have no doubt that the whole state is simmering in the South. But as for cities, Atlanta's not even "The South" any more.

Wherever Miz Betsy says "y'all", it's the South.
If "y'all" is your Southern litmus test, most of the country is the South anymore. I hear "y'all" daily and I live in a clearly not Southern state.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:24 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
When people talk about "the South" they are generally referring to the southeast.

No one refers to Arizona as "the South" even though it border Mexico. Just like "the North" usually means "Northeast" or "eastern Midwest". Montana borders Canada, but it's not what people usually mean with that comment.
That’s like saying the midwest consists of only states that border the Great Lakes or the former Northwest Territories. Most people don’t know squat about geography, so this is a bad take. Texas spans multiple regions and just because it’s not the southeast doesn’t mean that it’s not southern. Much of the state is in the Western South. Things don’t automatically change immediately west of Louisiana.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
That’s like saying the midwest consists of only states that border the Great Lakes or the former Northwest Territories. Most people don’t know squat about geography, so this is a bad take. Texas spans multiple regions and just because it’s not the southeast doesn’t mean that it’s not southern. Much of the state is in the Western South. Things don’t automatically change immediately west of Louisiana.
I mean, this is kind of exactly my point.

Of course things don't change immediately west of Louisiana. East Texas is very Southern in a traditional sense. Other parts of Texas aren't.

Regions don't just start and stop at state lines, and there's a lot of nuance in what people mean with certain terms. Is Arizona "Southern"? It's undoubtedly southern, but almost no one would call it the South, right? I've never heard seen it placed there.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:06 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times
Quote:
I mean, this is kind of exactly my point.

Of course things don't change immediately west of Louisiana. East Texas is very Southern in a traditional sense. Other parts of Texas aren't.

Regions don't just start and stop at state lines, and there's a lot of nuance in what people mean with certain terms. Is Arizona "Southern"? It's undoubtedly southern, but almost no one would call it the South, right? I've never heard seen it placed there.
Arizona has nothing to do with this conversation since it’s universally considered to be the Southwest or the West. Texas straddles the Southwest and Southern US. You could’ve at least brought up your neighboring state of Missouri, another state that spans multiple regions including the Midwest and the Southern US

Old 11-19-2020, 07:16 AM

914 posts, read 562,491 times
In American culture, "The South" is in no small part a cultural byproduct of a humid, very damp, subtropical climate. In Texas, that maps to the areas that not at all semiarid or arid or even merely moderate in precipitation:

https://sites.google.com/site/texasa...hy-and-climate

Old 11-19-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Arizona has nothing to do with this conversation since it’s universally considered to be the Southwest or the West. Texas straddles the Southwest and Southern US. You could’ve at least brought up your neighboring state of Missouri, another state that spans multiple regions including the Midwest and the Southern US
Do you realize we're making the same point?

Old 11-19-2020, 08:24 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
And there's even some variation as to how define the Southeast. LA and AR are clearly Southern, but are they in the Southeast? I say no as I consider the Mississippi River to be the boundary but I recall a thread here years ago where someone restricted the Southeast to the Southern states on the East Coast (Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida). I disagreed but there was a certain logic to that take.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:43 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
People are parsing too much. There is the South, Southeast, Southwest, Midwest, Great Lakes, Northeast, Northwest, etc. Texas, overall, is the only state I would just classify as South. As far as introducing Arizona, as someone did, it clearly is never considered South, it's a definite Southwest. Texas is in between SE and SW....hence, South. Or, as someone said, it's own region....South Central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.