Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2020, 09:08 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,009,949 times

Advertisements

As far as Miami and San Antonio having anything in common... I truly believe San Antonio has more in common with Nola than Miami. Just because SA and Miami both have hispanic cultures doesn't mean anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 10:35 AM

1,351 posts, read 898,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
As far as Miami and San Antonio having anything in common... I truly believe San Antonio has more in common with Nola than Miami. Just because SA and Miami both have hispanic cultures doesn't mean anything.
Agreed. There is a huge difference between the Miami Cuban influence and the San Antonio Mexican influence. Also agree that SA is closer to NOLA. Both are ancient cities who's foreign influences go back to it's initially settlement, and are completely ingrained in their architecture and lay out.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:31 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Yes, two completely different hispanic cultures. I've often wondered how many Cubans lived in Miami before Castro. Whereas the Cubans have basically been in Miami for 60 years, the Mexicans have been in SA for generations.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:29 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,603,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yes, two completely different hispanic cultures. I've often wondered how many Cubans lived in Miami before Castro. Whereas the Cubans have basically been in Miami for 60 years, the Mexicans have been in SA for generations.
Honestly I don't think it matters much as far as the modern Hispanic population goes.

But clearly a large Hispanic population doesn't negate an area's Southerness. Houston is 45% Hispanic and most people seem to consider it a Southern city.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:44 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Honestly I don't think it matters much as far as the modern Hispanic population goes.

But clearly a large Hispanic population doesn't negate an area's Southerness. Houston is 45% Hispanic and most people seem to consider it a Southern city.
In my experience Cuban culture from living in Florida is drastically different than the traditional Mexican culture you see in Texas. Obviously you are probably talking about younger people, and I'd agree with you to some extent. But Cubans? You never have to guess what they are thinking. They tend to be very upfront. Mexican Americans I have met tend to be a little more reserved in their interactions.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
The people who say San Antonio are not a part of the south would also likely say Miami is not a part of the south either. And perhaps some would say the same about New Orleans too.

Well, saying something doesn't make it so.

Old 12-03-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
In my experience Cuban culture from living in Florida is drastically different than the traditional Mexican culture you see in Texas. Obviously you are probably talking about younger people, and I'd agree with you to some extent. But Cubans? You never have to guess what they are thinking. They tend to be very upfront. Mexican Americans I have met tend to be a little more reserved in their interactions.
I'm not saying there are no differences between the two groups. But Latin American culture in recent years has become more homogenized. Whether it be Puerto Rico, Mexico, or Colombia, the same music genres (reggaeton) dominate. All of the reggaetoneros make tour stops in heavily Mexican-American parts of the country in addition the Caribbean Hispanic parts.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:09 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
I'm not saying there are no differences between the two groups. But Latin American culture in recent years has become more homogenized. Whether it be Puerto Rico, Mexico, or Colombia, the same music genres (reggaeton) dominate. All of the reggaetoneros make tour stops in heavily Mexican-American parts of the country in addition the Caribbean Hispanic parts.
Of all the genres of Latin American pop to rise to the top. Urgh.

Just my opinion, not judging, but that reggaeton beat cuts through anything for miles around. Especially at 2am when I have only a precious few hours to sleep!

stay-a-WAKE-a, stay-a-WAKE-a, stay-a-WAKE-a, stay-a-WAKE-a, stay-a-WAKE-a, stay-a-WAKE-a, stay-a-WAKE-a, stay-a-WAKE-a, stay-a-WAKE-a, stay-a-WAKE-a...

Old 12-03-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Of all the genres of Latin American pop to rise to the top. Urgh.

Just my opinion, not judging, but that reggaeton beat cuts through anything for miles around. Especially at 2am when I have only a precious few hours to sleep!

stay-a-WAKE-a, stay-a-WAKE-a, stay-a-WAKE-a, stay-a-WAKE-a, stay-a-WAKE-a, stay-a-WAKE-a, stay-a-WAKE-a, stay-a-WAKE-a, stay-a-WAKE-a, stay-a-WAKE-a...
Yep. I'm not much of a fan but it is undeniably the dominant genre in the entire Spanish speaking world right now.

That's why I don't think there's a huge difference necessarily between a Hispanic community in Florida and Texas.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:34 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times
Quote:
Are you Hispanic? Cause this statement contradicts what I've heard from Mexican Americans my entire life. But ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.