Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2020, 08:01 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I disagree with that. Coming from a country where multiple languages are present. Language is a massive barrier and an international border is a massive barrier as well. Now the border cities probably have more in common with Nuevo Laredo, Cuidad Juarez and Matamoros. But a place like Kleberg County where only 40% of the population speaks Spanish while a much larger percent 80-90%+ speaks English, I find it hard to believe the connections are deeper to Mexico than the rest of Texas. About the only place where I would believe it is would be counties where 75%+ of the population spoke Spanish, because that means a supermajority speak that language. But even then 25% speak only English. Only a few counties in Texas do you get 90% speaking Spanish (and possibly English but we don't collect easy to access stats on those), and 10% speaking English only. Those counties it's easy to see how the connection to Mexico is stronger as depending on the bilingual number of students their might be more Spanish speakers than English Speakers.
Trade and the routes. The I-69 project involves the 3 branches to connect South Texas through Houston.

San Antonio was settled by Canary Islanders. Most of the Hispanic descendants in S.A. exhibit that dialect when speaking Spanish. Fluency is another matter though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canarian_Americans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 04:24 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
You guys got to realize that San Antonio was 7% Black in 1960 and 18% Mexican. It was also 36% of White-Spanish Surname which includes most Mexicans and some Tejanos, I assume. 33% fell into Whites, without a Spanish surname and not of Foreign stock (Europeans+Mexicans).
https://digital.utsa.edu/digital/col...oll10/id/15426 (Page 17)

As you can see saying San Antonio had no Anglos makes no sense, especially when it wasn't even majority descended of Mexicans, even if you factor in that a significant amount of Tejanos have non-Spanish last names. Theirs's also an obvious historical black population there, at 7% it's not crazy but the fact that it's only around 6% today tells you a bit about the black community in San Antonio.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:03 PM

1,153 posts, read 631,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Definitely not a Southern city culturally. San Antonio culturally is a Mexican city, not really American to me.

I consider San Antonio and everything south of it an extension of Mexico.
The irony of this coming from an Asian American. Can't even make this stuff up!

Old 12-02-2020, 05:07 PM

1,153 posts, read 631,158 times
But, overall, I'd say San Antonio is a Southern city with a strong Western influence in the same vein that St. Louis is a Midwestern city with a strong Southeastern influence.

The culture obviously isn't strictly Southern or tied entirely to the CSA but it still has strong roots in Southern culture and history.

The U.S. is a melting pot so the Hispanic prominence shouldn't take away from its Southern roots just like the Bronx being majority Hispanic doesn't make it less tied to NYC's history/culture.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:18 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
But, overall, I'd say San Antonio is a Southern city with a strong Western influence in the same vein that St. Louis is a Midwestern city with a strong Southeastern influence.

The culture obviously isn't strictly Southern or tied entirely to the CSA but it still has strong roots in Southern culture and history.

The U.S. is a melting pot so the Hispanic prominence shouldn't take away from its Southern roots just like the Bronx being majority Hispanic doesn't make it less tied to NYC's history/culture.
The Bronx has a lot of Mexicans now, so that means it's part of the Southwest apparently

Old 12-02-2020, 06:08 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastVigilante View Post
I was originally going to ask this question in the Texas forum,but the more I thought about it,I believe it was better to ask this here in this forum to get more of a national consensus as far as answers go.So,the thread title says it all.Do you or don't you?

If you're talking about how the South and North divided up during the Civil War, Texas was part of the Confederacy, but San Antonio's population was less than 10,000 and did not feel nowhere near the brunt of the Civil War that was felt in the Southeast. At the time the State of Texas was pretty far flung from where most of the Civil War action was taking place.

But if you're talking 2020 and want to divide the Lower 48 in half between north and south, San Antonio is firmly located in the southern half. However San Antonio is not similar to any place in the Southeast or the Deep South, except possibly Miami mostly because of the large Spanish speaking population. Otherwise San Antonio feels nothing like Jackson or Birmingham, Atlanta, Savannah, Nashville, Louisville, Memphis, etc. San Antonio is it's own place. No other city feels like San Antonio, but it's more similar to the Southwest region than it is to the Southeast region.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:37 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
If you're talking about how the South and North divided up during the Civil War, Texas was part of the Confederacy, but San Antonio's population was less than 10,000 and did not feel nowhere near the brunt of the Civil War that was felt in the Southeast. At the time the State of Texas was pretty far flung from where most of the Civil War action was taking place.

But if you're talking 2020 and want to divide the Lower 48 in half between north and south, San Antonio is firmly located in the southern half. However San Antonio is not similar to any place in the Southeast or the Deep South, except possibly Miami mostly because of the large Spanish speaking population. Otherwise San Antonio feels nothing like Jackson or Birmingham, Atlanta, Savannah, Nashville, Louisville, Memphis, etc. San Antonio is it's own place. No other city feels like San Antonio, but it's more similar to the Southwest region than it is to the Southeast region.
Even than San Antonio and Miami are not very similar at all outside of a large Spanish speaking population. Miami feels like Latin America/Caribbean's North. San Antonio feels like the urban center of South Texas meets Hill Country. Miami is cosmopolitan, San Antonio more blue collar. Like you said though San Antonio is it's own place.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post

No place feels like Miami, or New Orleans for that matter and yet they are southern too.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:04 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
San Antonio doesn't feel anymore similar to Albuquerque, Santa Fe, or Denver than it does Jackson, Memphis, or New Orleans... I understand the point of view that it is not the south, if you want to claim Texas as it's own region (I do find it sort of silly though).

Saying San Antonio is not the south, it is western or southwestern is ridiculous to me... Unless you mean in the sense that the southwest is a part of the south.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:05 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No place feels like Miami, or New Orleans for that matter and yet they are southern too.
The people who say San Antonio are not a part of the south would also likely say Miami is not a part of the south either. And perhaps some would say the same about New Orleans too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.