Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2021, 12:14 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Maybe in the larger metro areas, which aren't my preference. Smaller cities and towns and rural areas are thankfully still quite distinct from what I can tell in my frequent travels.

The topic is San Antonio. Compare San Antonio to Philadelphia (two cities of similar size) and call me crazy but they feel VERY different to me.
San Antonio is extremely suburban even for Texas standards. It's also much less black than Philly and much less Asian and general international. These are probably what cause them to feel so different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 12:49 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,401,312 times
Quote:
Maybe in the larger metro areas, which aren't my preference. Smaller cities and towns and rural areas are thankfully still quite distinct from what I can tell in my frequent travels.

The topic is San Antonio. Compare San Antonio to Philadelphia (two cities of similar size) and call me crazy but they feel VERY different to me.
Calling San Antonio and Philadelphia cities of similar size is just silly. I'd say Philly is similarly sized to Dallas and Houston; it's at least 2x bigger than SA.

I agree that cities are not all the same, however. San Antonio is pretty different from say Portland or St. Louis, or Denver, etc which actually are similarly sized. Even Austin is fairly different despite being a neighbor.

Old 02-04-2021, 05:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
San Antonio is extremely suburban even for Texas standards. It's also much less black than Philly and much less Asian and general international. These are probably what cause them to feel so different.
Architecture, history, weather. Don't forget to throw those biggies in.

Old 02-04-2021, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Calling San Antonio and Philadelphia cities of similar size is just silly. I'd say Philly is similarly sized to Dallas and Houston; it's at least 2x bigger than SA.

I agree that cities are not all the same, however. San Antonio is pretty different from say Portland or St. Louis, or Denver, etc which actually are similarly sized. Even Austin is fairly different despite being a neighbor.
San Antonio and Philly are similar in population. That's why I chose those two cities for comparison.

San Antonio has over 1.5 million people. Portland has 1/3 that number. Denver too. St. Louis is even smaller in population.

It's common for people to underestimate the population of San Antonio though.

Old 02-04-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
San Antonio and Philly are similar in population. That's why I chose those two cities for comparison.

San Antonio has over 1.5 million people. Portland has 1/3 that number. Denver too. St. Louis is even smaller in population.

It's common for people to underestimate the population of San Antonio though.
You are looking at city limits population, which is driven by the size of the city limit boundaries and meaningless as far as how big the city feels... Urban area or metro pop is going to be much more representative. That's like C-D 101 I thought? hah

Old 02-04-2021, 09:37 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
You are looking at city limits population, which is driven by the size of the city limit boundaries and meaningless as far as how big the city feels... Urban area or metro pop is going to be much more representative. That's like C-D 101 I thought? hah
I've nevee factored the suburbs in when it comes to how big a city feels.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I've nevee factored the suburbs in when it comes to how big a city feels.
Right but in San Antonio a huge percentage of the "city" population lives in suburbs. If it has city limits like Philadelphia it'd have a much smaller population.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:29 AM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Right but in San Antonio a huge percentage of the "city" population lives in suburbs. If it has city limits like Philadelphia it'd have a much smaller population.
Its pretty well par for the course.

Basically any city that isnt NYC, Boston, DC, Philly, Chicago, SF, and maybe Seattle will have significant areas of their city proper filled with suburban neighborhoods complete with strip malls and single story ranch style housing. Even Chicago has many neighborhoods like Norwood Park that fit that description.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Its pretty well par for the course.

Basically any city that isnt NYC, Boston, DC, Philly, Chicago, SF, and maybe Seattle will have significant areas of their city proper filled with suburban neighborhoods complete with strip malls and single story ranch style housing. Even Chicago has many neighborhoods like Norwood Park that fit that description.
Agreed but my point is that San Antonio is not in the same weight class as Philadelphia at all. It being the 24th largest metro is reflective of its size, it being the the 7th largest city is not. I put Philly in the DFW/Houston/DC/Miami/Atlanta grouping. San Antonio is with Portland, Denver, St. Louis, Sacramento, etc.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah hah, so funny!

San Antonio is huge. It's more comparable to Philly than to Portland.

But you do you. That's C-D 101. hah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.