Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2021, 05:03 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times

Advertisements

I was an Eisenhower man in 1952 but I was 4 and didn't know any better. I liked Ike...much to my parents' chagrin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 11:23 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
San Antonio was part of the Chitlin Circuit.

It is at the edge of what I personally consider Southern, but there are pretty good arguments to be made that it is indeed the South.
I also would consider San Antonio as being quite a stretch. Borderline South yes, but in my opinion it is more southwestern. If we were talking about Houston or Galveston there would be no argument that these towns are southern. However not all of Texas is southern, at least half of it is indeed part of the Southwest.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:04 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
I went to school in Indiana and I never thought of Texas as a Southern State, like Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama are unquestionably Southern States. I thought of Texas as more of a Western State, or a Southwestern State in the same region as Oklahoma, New Mexico and Arizona. That was mostly due to the way the states looked on a US road map and the way Texas was portrayed in the movies and on television. After living here for over 40 years, I think Texas feels like it's own region. No other state feels like Texas. You don't need a sign to let you know when you cross in to Texas from a neighboring state. You can just tell it by how smooth the roads are and how blue the sky is.

Old 02-08-2021, 05:14 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,037,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I also would consider San Antonio as being quite a stretch. Borderline South yes, but in my opinion it is more southwestern. If we were talking about Houston or Galveston there would be no argument that these towns are southern. However not all of Texas is southern, at least half of it is indeed part of the Southwest.
The true southwest is El paso, Albuquerque, Phoenix etc. Hence the term desert southwest. San Antonio is south central. Just because San Antonio has a high Mexican population doesn't make it southwest

Old 02-08-2021, 04:34 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
The true southwest is El paso, Albuquerque, Phoenix etc. Hence the term desert southwest. San Antonio is south central. Just because San Antonio has a high Mexican population doesn't make it southwest
That is not why I feel San Antonio is not southern. There are a lot of Hispanics in both the southeast and southwest. The numbers of Hispanics has little to do with it.

San Antonio feels southwestern. The land is quite open and dryer. It looks nothing like the lush green southern states like NC, GA, TN, AL etc. The architecture looks more southwest. The place just has a southwestern vibe.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:26 PM

1,168 posts, read 777,404 times
Quote:
That is not why I feel San Antonio is not southern. There are a lot of Hispanics in both the southeast and southwest. The numbers of Hispanics has little to do with it.

San Antonio feels southwestern. The land is quite open and dryer. It looks nothing like the lush green southern states like NC, GA, TN, AL etc. The architecture looks more southwest. The place just has a southwestern vibe.
San Antonio is quite humid year round. Less rainfall than you'll see in southeastern cities, but significantly more than you'll see in the true southwest. Annually, it gets on average twenty more inches than El Paso. Southern trees like bald cypress and live oaks are native to SA. All that's missing are pines and the taller hardwoods.

Here I picked a random street view on the west side, and I'd say it looks much more reminiscent of the south than the southwest:
899 Cecelia St

Old 02-08-2021, 07:53 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
IMO the number of hispanics in San Antonio is significant because these are generational hispanics like the hispanic population in the southwest. Hispanic population in the southeast is not generational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
San Antonio is quite humid year round. Less rainfall than you'll see in southeastern cities, but significantly more than you'll see in the true southwest. Annually, it gets on average twenty more inches than El Paso. Southern trees like bald cypress and live oaks are native to SA. All that's missing are pines and the taller hardwoods.
San Antiono sits on the edge of hill country, the edge of the last vestiges of the south, and the edge of the southwest. Actually, you can go south/southwest out of San Antonio and it gets "southwest looking" real quick. Ironically, if you go due west you are in some of the real nice part of the hill country.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:39 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
IMO the number of hispanics in San Antonio is significant because these are generational hispanics like the hispanic population in the southwest. Hispanic population in the southeast is not generational.

San Antiono sits on the edge of hill country, the edge of the last vestiges of the south, and the edge of the southwest. Actually, you can go south/southwest out of San Antonio and it gets "southwest looking" real quick. Ironically, if you go due west you are in some of the real nice part of the hill country.
What difference does it make that they're multigenerational? Black and white Southerners are multigenerational too.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:26 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
San Antonio is in a transition area. It looks nothing like Phoenix but it also looks nothing like Jackson.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:51 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
The whole state is a transition area. Southern, then southwestern with flashes of Great Plains culture here and there.
San Antonio is basically southwestern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.