Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2020, 10:31 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
So whats the difference between an Inland South and Lowland South dialect?
I’m not someone who studies dialects, it just that of the few dialect maps I’ve seen put San Antonio in the South, or at best straddling the Southwest border. But even with that theirs a caveat, it can be argued that the Southwest doesn’t have its own unique accent as a whole and is an amalgamation of other accents, that haven’t fully merged since it’s so newly settled. I just made an appeal to Authority argument. But someone explains the distinction here. https://pointpark.libguides.com/c.php?g=18088&p=101605
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 10:39 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I’m not someone who studies dialects, it just that of the few dialect maps I’ve seen put San Antonio in the South, or at best straddling the Southwest border. But even with that theirs a caveat, it can be argued that the Southwest doesn’t have its own unique accent as a whole and is an amalgamation of other accents, that haven’t fully merged since it’s so newly settled. I just made an appeal to Authority argument. But someone explains the distinction here. https://pointpark.libguides.com/c.php?g=18088&p=101605
I ask because according to that, Dallas has one accent while Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and Atlanta have another. Whats the difference?

Old 11-20-2020, 11:06 AM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I ask because according to that, Dallas has one accent while Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and Atlanta have another. Whats the difference?
If you go to the hoods Houston then Dallas and San Antonio, you’ll notice it. Houston and Dallads are more similar in my opinion. If you go to a booming suburb or inner city neighborhood, the accents tend to die down.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:41 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,254,559 times
San Antonio is geographically Southern, as is New Orleans, Miami, Louisville, and a host of other cities that don't fit the stereotypical "Southern" mold.

Places like Greenwood Mississippi and Demopolis Alabama are "classic" Southern, but that doesn't make them "more" Southern than other places, just different.

Old 11-20-2020, 02:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Well, this southerner loves her some San Antonio. Great city.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:51 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,456,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
San Antonio is only up the highway from Monterrey, NL. Basically anything south of the Nueces River (which is about 50 miles from San Antonio on I-35) is the South Texas border region. S.A. is the anchor of the region, and the largest city and metro in this part of Texas.

Obviously due to geographic proximity, the major cities of Laredo, Corpus Christi, and the Rio Grande Valley (Brownsville-Harlingen-Del Rio) have better ties with the neighboring Mexican states than with the rest of Texas.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:42 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
I consider San Antonio in a transition zone between the south and the southwest. In Texas, I consider everything from I-45/US 75 eastward as part of the south, then between I-45/US 75 and US 83 I consider the transition zone, and then west of US 83 is part of the southwest

Old 11-22-2020, 06:47 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
San Antonio is only up the highway from Monterrey, NL. Basically anything south of the Nueces River (which is about 50 miles from San Antonio on I-35) is the South Texas border region. S.A. is the anchor of the region, and the largest city and metro in this part of Texas.

Obviously due to geographic proximity, the major cities of Laredo, Corpus Christi, and the Rio Grande Valley (Brownsville-Harlingen-Del Rio) have better ties with the neighboring Mexican states than with the rest of Texas.
I disagree with that. Coming from a country where multiple languages are present. Language is a massive barrier and an international border is a massive barrier as well. Now the border cities probably have more in common with Nuevo Laredo, Cuidad Juarez and Matamoros. But a place like Kleberg County where only 40% of the population speaks Spanish while a much larger percent 80-90%+ speaks English, I find it hard to believe the connections are deeper to Mexico than the rest of Texas. About the only place where I would believe it is would be counties where 75%+ of the population spoke Spanish, because that means a supermajority speak that language. But even then 25% speak only English. Only a few counties in Texas do you get 90% speaking Spanish (and possibly English but we don't collect easy to access stats on those), and 10% speaking English only. Those counties it's easy to see how the connection to Mexico is stronger as depending on the bilingual number of students their might be more Spanish speakers than English Speakers.

Old 11-22-2020, 11:17 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
Definitely not a Southern city culturally. San Antonio culturally is a Mexican city, not really American to me.

I consider San Antonio and everything south of it an extension of Mexico.

Old 11-22-2020, 11:24 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Definitely not a Southern city culturally. San Antonio culturally is a Mexican city, not really American to me.

I consider San Antonio and everything south of it an extension of Mexico.
It doesn't really matter if old line San Antonio families consider it to be Southern. If they say it's the South, then it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.