Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2020, 09:58 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,602,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I agree, that the South definitely has an outsized impact on the West. In my honest opinion, Tejano and Texan culture in general is definitely more Southern than anything else when talking regional culture. Now you can argue Texas is it's own cultural region, which is a valid argument but 80-90% of the state population wise definitely fits within the South. I know quite a few of those Anglo-Tejano folk who come from South/Central Texas (White folks with Mexican Names, Mexican folk with White last names etcetera.), and if they came from a small town they almost instantly struck me as very Southern. Not quite San Antonio but just outside it, in between Austin and San Antonio, just hear the accent of the folks in the video. Nothing strikes me as even being remotely Southwestern. Which by definition would make SA a Southern city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqoTceiFhhs

If you actually look at the video a lot of folks in it are Hispanic or partially so, and the Southern accent is noticeable albeit not heavy.
Absolutely. Texas is its own culture without a doubt. But none the less it’s the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 10:23 PM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
I would not consider it "south" in ways that some folks like to define the term. It may have had some southern aspects in its history but not much today. The "old families" might be hanging on or pretending to be southern if it suits them but that is not all that relevent. The place seems to more strongly embrace its Hispanic roots. Waco seems more southern to me.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:20 AM

215 posts, read 211,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I don’t believe that
You have a right to your opinion but in all honesty I don't hear people in San Antonio repping the "Southern Pride".
What I do hear a lot of is "San Anto" and "Texas" pride.As a matter fact I think I've only seen seen someone fly the Confederate flag here twice and that was back in the early 90s.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:25 AM

215 posts, read 211,460 times
Quote:
Me neither. Again could be Houston bias but unless you live West of I-35. I hear Southern pride, everyday even in Austin. In fact my old middle Eastern neighbor who's a bit whitewashed has a Confederate flag displayed in his house. On the flip side their is massive Southern pride within Minorities. even something like the Rodeo in Houston is seen as a Southern event even though it's culturally more "Southwestern". I don't know about others but I definitely have a larger view of the South than most people.

I consider all of Florida, Oklahoma, Arkansas, most of Virginia, basically all of Texas, as Southern. The state i'm most conflicted on is Missouri, Tennesee is obviously South as well.
Basically if you have a large semi-rural black population the Southern culture stands out.

For example have you heard anyone from Lockhart which is just outside the Austin Area. Or Bastrop or Taylor, definitely a southern twang.

Also agree, wholeheartedly with you on Miami. While Soundcloud rap (which has heavy Florida/South Florida origins) doesn't have as heavy an accent. Miami Youtubers/Influencers tend to have a heavy Southern accent. Something about the word "jit", screams Southern too me.
Rodeos are NOT a Southern thing but a Western/Texas-Tejano/Mexican thing.Im not sure why you're mentioning your Houston bias but this thread is about San Antonio and if it's Southern or not.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:24 AM

18 posts, read 14,752 times
I don't get why some Texans won't acknowledge that they're southern. It's something to be proud of!!

Old 11-20-2020, 09:26 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
DFW is the only large metro in Texas that’s in the Bible Belt. Sometimes I wonder why Dallasits are the most embarrassed of their southern roots. Including Austin
They arent.

People are just sick of others telling them what they are.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:26 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,905,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastVigilante View Post
I was originally going to ask this question in the Texas forum,but the more I thought about it,I believe it was better to ask this here in this forum to get more of a national consensus as far as answers go.So,the thread title says it all.Do you or don't you?
The North.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
This is like saying Seattle isn’t west coast, it’s more Canadian
No, its literally not like that at all.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:07 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastVigilante View Post
Rodeos are NOT a Southern thing but a Western/Texas-Tejano/Mexican thing.Im not sure why you're mentioning your Houston bias but this thread is about San Antonio and if it's Southern or not.
I didn’t say they are. I said they’ve been co-opted by the South. Country is easily the most popular genre of music at the Houston Rodeo and seems similar in videos fo other Rodeos I’ve been to, while theirs pop and rap acts, they make up much less of a splash unless the pop act is literally Drake. I said Houston bias because I’m from Houston, and in my eyes a much larger portion of the state is Southern than someone from El Paso, because I see the extensive similarities to Houston throughout most of the state and subconsciously attach that to Southern culture.

Again- it’s still opinion based but look at this Dialect map. It doesn’t even put San Antonio in the inland South but clearly in the South for dialect purposes. Like many others here have been saying the only place in Texas where they don’t speak like Southerners is El Paso....

https://aschmann.net/AmEng/

Old 11-20-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I didn’t say they are. I said they’ve been co-opted by the South. Country is easily the most popular genre of music at the Houston Rodeo and seems similar in videos fo other Rodeos I’ve been to, while theirs pop and rap acts, they make up much less of a splash unless the pop act is literally Drake. I said Houston bias because I’m from Houston, and in my eyes a much larger portion of the state is Southern than someone from El Paso, because I see the extensive similarities to Houston throughout most of the state and subconsciously attach that to Southern culture.

Again- it’s still opinion based but look at this Dialect map. It doesn’t even put San Antonio in the inland South but clearly in the South for dialect purposes. Like many others here have been saying the only place in Texas where they don’t speak like Southerners is El Paso....

https://aschmann.net/AmEng/
So whats the difference between an Inland South and Lowland South dialect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.