Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 06:49 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Almost all major and semi-major cities are connected. Austin is nothing similar to Houston and DFW in terms of connected airports. In Houston you can fly to all inhabitable continents (Africa pending due to Covid now though), in DFW you can fly to all except Africa. While Austin had a few weekly flights to London, Houston and DFW had like 5 daily each.

Austin doesn't stand out at all for being well connected even compared to other cities in its size range. Even Cleveland puts it to shame.

You're right about layovers not being a big deal though. That's definitely worked in Austin's favor recently. But for a company like Microsoft with so many clients, sometimes it helps to be able to have so many daily flights to where you can catch a cross country fight in the morning and return in the evening.
It should be noted, the only reason DFW doesn't have a flight to Africa is because American Airlines had no presence at all in Africa before August 2020 (the new seasonal flight from Philadelphia to Morocco is the first).

Assuming AA's initial venture into Africa is successful, I suspect it's only going to be a matter of time now before DFW gets a direct flight.

EDIT:

In fact, unless I'm missing something, Houston hasn't had a direct flight to Africa since United pulled out in 2016. Now, only DC will have a direct flight.

https://simpleflying.com/united-2021-top-5-new-routes/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 07:03 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
It should be noted, the only reason DFW doesn't have a flight to Africa is because American Airlines had no presence at all in Africa before August 2020 (the new seasonal flight from Philadelphia to Morocco is the first).

Assuming AA's initial venture into Africa is successful, I suspect it's only going to be a matter of time now before DFW gets a direct flight.

EDIT:

In fact, unless I'm missing something, Houston hasn't had a direct flight to Africa since United pulled out in 2016. Now, only DC will have a direct flight.

https://simpleflying.com/united-2021-top-5-new-routes/
You are missing something. Ethiopian Airlines brought back African flights to Houston. SonAir also had a Houston flight. These have since been pending due to covid, but so have many other routes (hence why I added that note).

The reason for Houston having African flights and not DFW isn't because Dallas can't support it, I didn't say it was. Ethiopian Airlines chose Houston over DFW because of the Star Alliance partnership with United Airlines. Were Dallas a United hub instead of American, they would've chosen Dallas. This is the same reason Air New Zealand flies to Houston while Quantas flies to Dallas.

And the reason United ended its Houston-Lagos flight was because Nigeria was pocketing United’s revenue without plans to pay them back.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 01-31-2021 at 07:13 PM..

Old 01-31-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Ethiopian Airlines brought back African flights to Houston.
Good to know.

There's actually not a ton of information about this new route when doing a Google search. From what little I could find, it seems they only piloted the route with limited flights (3 times per week) 1 month before COVID hit.

Quote:
The reason for Houston having African flights and not DFW isn't because Dallas can't support it, I didn't say it was.
I didn't say you said it was. I thought it would just be a good learning moment for others who may be curious about the reason why.

It seems Africa has been a tough market in general to enter for the major US-based Airlines.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:17 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:

Morocco is technically on Africa, but it's really the Arabicized part of Western Europe. The whole Maghreb was colonized by bordering European countries across the Mediterranean.

When most people think of Africa, it's the sub-Saharan majority of the continent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I've worked for tech companies for ten years. Travel and connections is not as big a deal as you think.
Business travelers love the airline lounges at the origin and destination. The full-size lounges are always at the hubs. Rarely do they like to linger in the lounge while waiting for their connection.

Time is money in business!

Old 01-31-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Good to know.

There's actually not a ton of information about this new route when doing a Google search. From what little I could find, it seems they only piloted the route with limited flights (3 times per week) before COVID hit.
The route started just a few months before Covid. Usually, when an ultra long haul route starts, they start with 3 weekly flights and have plans to fill the rest of the weekly days over time. This one included. Sometimes, routes begin daily but not usually.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Good to know.

There's actually not a ton of information about this new route when doing a Google search. From what little I could find, it seems they only piloted the route with limited flights (3 times per week) 1 month before COVID hit.

I didn't say you said it was. I thought it would just be a good learning moment for others who may be curious about the reason why.

It seems Africa has been a tough market in general to enter for the major US-based Airlines.
Whoops!

That was an unintended (but well-played) pun.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:25 PM

If AA does start a Dallas Africa flight, it would almost certainly be to Morocco, because that’s the only major African Airpor with a OneWorld Airline hub (who can partner with AA).

Old 01-31-2021, 07:29 PM

American is also planning a Dallas-Auckland flight. This would have Houston and Dallas both connected to Auckland and Sydney. All of which were previously viewed as risky. I was surprised when United started the Houston-Sydney flight, not with American starting an Auckland-Dallas flight, Oceania’s flights have had a big surge in demand.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
American is also planning a Dallas-Auckland flight. This would have Houston and Dallas both connected to Auckland and Sydney. All of which were previously viewed as risky. I was surprised when United started the Houston-Sydney flight, not with American starting an Auckland-Dallas flight, Oceania’s flights have had a big surge in demand.
It seems that DFW to Auckland is stuck in limbo (at the very least) because of COVID. Similar to the African flight from Houston, they have launched a limited number of flights in late 2019 then the lockdowns happened.

DFW will also start having flights to Tel Aviv. Until now, American was the only major US airline that didn't go to Israel. Not sure if Houston has one.

EDIT: DFW's flight to Munich is also gone permanently due to COVID, and so is the planned Africa flight from Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.