Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 04:26 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the Heathrow flight, I thought it was the standard Mexico and Canada deal, nothing outside of North America. But Heathrow is a big start.
That route is still pending since COVID
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 08:24 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:
Austin to San Antonio is not that far.
Halfway to San Antonio is even less so.
Going from a lot of places in the big cities to their airports takes more time than driving to somewhere halfway to San Antonio.
Uptown Houston to IAH will probably take you 45mins to an hour. It's not going to take you that long from downtown SA or Downtown Austin to a midway point in between the two
That is an awful idea man.. AUS is far enough from the city as is, but at least it's a cheap Uber ride. Within a decade it will be a 20 minute train ride from downtown. San Antonio has its own airport. Leave it to a Houstonian to think a 45 minutes-to-an hour drive is reasonable.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:48 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
That is an awful idea man.. AUS is far enough from the city as is, but at least it's a cheap Uber ride. Within a decade it will be a 20 minute train ride from downtown. San Antonio has its own airport. Leave it to a Houstonian to think a 45 minutes-to-an hour drive is reasonable.
Thats the kind of thinking that kinders Austin growth.
The Area around Austin and SA is projected to be topping 8M In less than 30 years.
Central Texas needs to give up the small town act and start beefing up the amenities.
Austin especially needs to realize this college town days are long gone.
Both areas are Metros over 2M.

Both Houston and Dallas Fort Worth were 2M metros in the 80s.
That's not a long time ago.
Houston Intercontinental airport opened in 1969, to compliment Houston Hobby.
In 1973 DFW airport was built to complement Love field.
In both cases the metro area field in the gap between airport and city.

I mean the growth is coming anyway, why not prepare for it?
Houston and Dallas Fort worth had much more amenities as 2M metros than SA and Austin do now.

Houston had only 4.2M people in 2000. Just 20 years ago.
Thats less than the population of SA and Austin today.
In just saying. DFW went from 3 M to almost 8M in 40 years.
That's 5M in 40 years.
Austin or SA hasn't really seen Houston or Dallas growth,
But even if they get half as much as Houston and Dallas got in the last 40 years,
that still puts Central Texas over 8 million in 40 years.

I shudder to imagine that with current amenities in the area

Old 01-30-2021, 10:02 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
...Layovers aren't really a big deal anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
...You're right about layovers not being a big deal though...
It's interesting you both say this. I guess different strokes for different folks.

I've always lived in metro areas that are also airline hubs, so I almost always had no problem selecting a flight with a number of departure times to choose from.

The only exception was when I had to fly from Detroit to OKC. Technically, you can fly directly from Detroit to OKC (and vice-versa), but there's only 1 flight per day. Since I wasn't willing to take a 7am flight, I had to make a stop in Atlanta (my layover was a couple of hours).

I personally hated the experience, because I felt as though my entire day was wasted traveling versus doing something productive.

At least with a direct 2 hour or so flight, you have plenty of time to accomplish other things during the day. For example, you can fly from Chicago to Miami to attend a meeting in the morning and then fly right back to Chicago once that meeting is over with enough time to go into the office during the afternoon and complete your daily tasks.

Old 01-31-2021, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
It's interesting you both say this. I guess different strokes for different folks.

I've always lived in metro areas that are also airline hubs, so I almost always had no problem selecting a flight with a number of departure times to choose from.

The only exception was when I had to fly from Detroit to OKC. Technically, you can fly directly from Detroit to OKC (and vice-versa), but there's only 1 flight per day. Since I wasn't willing to take a 7am flight, I had to make a stop in Atlanta (my layover was a couple of hours).

I personally hated the experience, because I felt as though my entire day was wasted traveling versus doing something productive.

At least with a direct 2 hour or so flight, you have plenty of time to accomplish other things during the day. For example, you can fly from Chicago to Miami to attend a meeting in the morning and then fly right back to Chicago once that meeting is over with enough time to go into the office during the afternoon and complete your daily tasks.
Yea but AUS has I think four different airlines that fly direct to Chicago on a daily basis? At the end of the day it's not that difficult to fly to Austin from any relevant domestic business hub.

Quote:
Thats the kind of thinking that kinders Austin growth.
The Area around Austin and SA is projected to be topping 8M In less than 30 years.
Central Texas needs to give up the small town act and start beefing up the amenities.
Austin especially needs to realize this college town days are long gone.
Both areas are Metros over 2M.

Both Houston and Dallas Fort Worth were 2M metros in the 80s.
That's not a long time ago.
Houston Intercontinental airport opened in 1969, to compliment Houston Hobby.
In 1973 DFW airport was built to complement Love field.
In both cases the metro area field in the gap between airport and city.

I mean the growth is coming anyway, why not prepare for it?
Houston and Dallas Fort worth had much more amenities as 2M metros than SA and Austin do now.

Houston had only 4.2M people in 2000. Just 20 years ago.
Thats less than the population of SA and Austin today.
In just saying. DFW went from 3 M to almost 8M in 40 years.
That's 5M in 40 years.
Austin or SA hasn't really seen Houston or Dallas growth,
But even if they get half as much as Houston and Dallas got in the last 40 years,
that still puts Central Texas over 8 million in 40 years.

I shudder to imagine that with current amenities in the area
How on earth is it more convenient to drive halfway to San Antonio for a flight? That's an incredibly bad idea man. I don't know what to tell you. San Antonio has its own airport.

This is AUS traffic by year: Jan '20 showed > 50 % growth over four years. Not sure what you are expecting?...

http://austintexas.gov/news/november...stin-bergstrom

Old 01-31-2021, 06:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I hope that Central Texas solves its water issues considering the projected growth.

Old 01-31-2021, 09:51 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:

Yeah it's odd that they are concerned about a 15 minute longer drive, but have no problem spending 4 hours more airport hopping to their final destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I hope that Central Texas solves its water issues considering the projected growth.
Water will be just but one of their growing pains if planning doesn't keep up worth growth.
Austin especially in the coming decades are going to see explosive suburban growth.

You can see by the replies how resistant Austin posters are to change.
They act like ignoring projected growth will make it go away.

I mean having a major Airport between the two metros doesn't mean SA International or Bergstrom would go away.
Why can't you have all three? The regional Airports like San Marcos and New Braunfels don't need to go away either, but the best chance for a major Airport is to have one that serves both metros.

You can still have your lil Uber ride to Bergstrom, but I don't see either Bergstrom or SA International becoming the major Airport for central Texas. It would be best to have a central airport that serves both areas.

Mobility is already an issue and with doubling the population they are gonna need to be creative.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:41 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
I am with you on this. I moved from a non hub city (San Diego) to an American Airlines hub city (Miami).....connecting flights could involve delays, missed flights (weather), and/or the always “enjoyable” (sarcasm) deplaning and boarding for a second time (still a bit of a PITA even with priority boarding status) though I always had the option of driving 2 hours north (and 2 hours back) to LAX for more direct options—no thanks.

my new hub city, besides more direct flights to more places I frequent, also had more flights throughout the day as opposed to needing to take an early morning or, more likely, redeye (something else that I found to be an inconvenience)

I only flew into Austin once but was impressed with how modern the airport seemed. DFW was one of my least favorite airports but was a necessary evil based on schedule for my meetings at TI headquarters in Richardson (though I did manage to swing a few flights to Love Field on occasion)—once you landed and arrived you never knew whether it was going to take 10 minutes or 30+ minutes to taxi to the gate. . I also had bad luck with connecting flights, often 30 gates (sometimes even a terminal) away—it does have a Pappasito’s though!!

Quote:

Last edited by elchevere; 01-31-2021 at 11:08 AM..

Old 01-31-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah it's odd that they are concerned about a 15 minute longer drive, but have no problem spending 4 hours more airport hopping to their final destination.

Water will be just but one of their growing pains if planning doesn't keep up worth growth.
Austin especially in the coming decades are going to see explosive suburban growth.

You can see by the replies how resistant Austin posters are to change.
They act like ignoring projected growth will make it go away.

I mean having a major Airport between the two metros doesn't mean SA International or Bergstrom would go away.
Why can't you have all three? The regional Airports like San Marcos and New Braunfels don't need to go away either, but the best chance for a major Airport is to have one that serves both metros.

You can still have your lil Uber ride to Bergstrom, but I don't see either Bergstrom or SA International becoming the major Airport for central Texas. It would be best to have a central airport that serves both areas.

Mobility is already an issue and with doubling the population they are gonna need to be creative.
What on earth are you on about? I can't remember the last time I took a non-direct flight somewhere in the continental US.

Question for you: have you even been to AUS at any point in your life?

Old 01-31-2021, 11:12 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:

Neither have I. But I have taken layover stops because of cheaper options. Never really bothered me to have to stop. I actually like to see more places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.