Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 10:08 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times

Advertisements

Texas brisket is great, but it ain’t barbecue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 11:27 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Kansas City BBQ blows all other BBQ out of the water. I'm not even sure if that's an opinion.

Old 01-25-2021, 12:51 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,532,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I have family in Charlotte’s SC suburbs and I usually visit once or twice a year. One of the biggest differences to me is how SC is much more developed along the coast than NC. Charleston and Myrtle Beach are decent counter-weights against Columbia, Rock Hill, and Greenville. On the other hand, Wilmington aggressively takes back-seat to Raleigh, Charlotte, and Asheville and to lesser extents Fayetteville and Winston-Salem.

Edit: I’ll add that I really like mustard, so SC bbq is right up my alley.
The people in the part of the state of NC I live in have always said that for commercial beaches, go to SC. If you want to relax, and sleep, and do nothing, then go to the NC beaches. I really don't know if both governments planned it that way, but that has been gossip talk for a long time.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Kansas City BBQ blows all other BBQ out of the water. I'm not even sure if that's an opinion.
If I asked for KC bbq, they’d ask me what meat do I want with it. It’s a sauce, not a food.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:45 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
If I asked for KC bbq, they’d ask me what meat do I want with it. It’s a sauce, not a food.

Haha. Pork of course!

Old 01-25-2021, 02:30 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Texas brisket is great, but it ain’t barbecue.
What would you call it then? We also do the other meats including pork well.

Old 01-25-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
What would you call it then? We also do the other meats including pork well.
I call it brisket.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:21 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,913 times
Brisket is brisket. It's good but it's a different category.

KC is good for salvaging bad pork, but it's a waste for good pork.

SC's mustard style is pretty good honestly. Maybe it's the German in me but I like it a lot. I'll stan for it over any state other than my own.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:29 PM

467 posts, read 427,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So.... By that logic, Maine has the best BBQ?

This is kind of like the pizza argument. Some of it is what you're used to. I like lots of styles of pizza as long as they're flavorful. BBQ is the same way. I'd rather have a high quality ketchup-based BBQ than a lousy vinegar-based BBQ. I've had some pretty sketchy BBQ in North Carolina. Just because it's vinegar-based and prepared in North Carolina doesn't make a plate of gristle & fat any better.
If Maine lobster was/could be slow-cooked, smoked over wood, then I suppose, under my logic, you'd be right. Such ought to be a requirement for REAL barbecue, surely?

And I agree, I was just making a general/mostly humorous statement, mainly to poke fun at the heathens in states like Alabama . I think what makes Eastern NC style bbq stand out to me is that it's whole hog and really lets the meat itself shine, with vinegar and pepper to lightly accentuate the flavor without potentially overpowering it.

As a heathen to many myself, aka a pineapple pizza lover, I'll take a non-pineapple pizza from a good local joint over a pineapple one from Pizza Hut or something any day. Though Domino's pan do be slapping for what it is LOL.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:39 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So.... By that logic, Maine has the best BBQ?

This is kind of like the pizza argument. Some of it is what you're used to. I like lots of styles of pizza as long as they're flavorful. BBQ is the same way. I'd rather have a high quality ketchup-based BBQ than a lousy vinegar-based BBQ. I've had some pretty sketchy BBQ in North Carolina. Just because it's vinegar-based and prepared in North Carolina doesn't make a plate of gristle & fat any better
We aren't talking about what passes as BBQ at some nasty lunch countah at T F Green. You need to actually be in Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.