Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:31 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times

Advertisements

no please go on...I have yet to hear it...LOL i'm serious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 11:52 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
actually in every day conversation, I hear a lot more people talking about Austin than Houston or Dallas. I think it's much more "in" as a cool, fun, up and coming place. It's also seen as more liberal and progressive, as opposed to the "red texas" Dallas and Houston. This is just what I've heard, don't bite my head off!
If you understood the source... the rumors of Austin being so great and "unlike anywhere else in Texas!!!" were started by rural and suburban kids who had either never lived anywhere else but in the far-flung suburbs of cities like Dallas and Houston, or had barely --or NEVER-- left their small towns, let alone the state of Texas. They got to UT, had their first little taste of freedom, and went hog-wild. I know; I went to high school with some of them. Austin's Chamber of Commerce has done a bang-up marketing job as well. To me, Austin is far more "Texas" than the Houston I've experienced, as far as its food and music scene, etc. What Austin has over Dallas and Houston is better natural scenery, it's smaller and more accessible, and it's more outdoorsy. It's also much more "Anglo" than either Dallas or Houston, but you won't hear people admit that as a draw too often.

And yeah, key thing there... it's what you've heard!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:05 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
If you understood the source... the rumors of Austin being so great and "unlike anywhere else in Texas!!!" were started by rural and suburban kids who had either never lived anywhere else but in the far-flung suburbs of cities like Dallas and Houston, or had barely --or NEVER-- left their small towns, let alone the state of Texas. They got to UT, had their first little taste of freedom, and went hog-wild. I know; I went to high school with some of them. Austin's Chamber of Commerce has done a bang-up marketing job as well. To me, Austin is far more "Texas" than the Houston I've experienced, as far as its food and music scene, etc. What Austin has over Dallas and Houston is better natural scenery, it's smaller and more accessible, and it's more outdoorsy. It's also much more "Anglo" than either Dallas or Houston, but you won't hear people admit that as a draw too often.

And yeah, key thing there... it's what you've heard!

Austin really sounds like Lexington, KY. Most of the kids that attend UK are from small towns or rural areas and Lexington is their first city experience. When they graduate they think Lexington is the greatest place on earth. While its natural beauty is nice, the city sprawls for miles and has little to no nightlife (that ends at 2).

I dunno, your message just struck a chord so I felt compelled to reply.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:19 AM

251 posts, read 710,318 times
Quote:
I dunno, your message just struck a chord so I felt compelled to reply.
Because someone finally explained the hype.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:56 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Omaha is will be much more influential but I think I've annoyed people to much with my explanations
I appreciate the Omaha/Nebraska pride, but unfortunately Omaha is still way too small to be a player- it's not even one of the major cities, it is just one of those remote places in the minds of most people around the country. Even if it doubles in size it would be a small city, though having a lot of good things going for it that influence still wouldn't reach very far beyond the local region.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:42 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
Alright then, the in the next twenty years............................

1 Omaha's metro will reach around 2 million (they had a whole section in our newspaper about it)

2 Our Skyline will look something like this, maybe better maybe worse

The building on the far right is a tower Pacific Life could build, the building next to it is a luxury condo tower

3. We have a very powerful and expanding economy, our downtown is in the middle of its renaissance and we have 5 fortune 500 companies and other very powerful ones, we have secured the CWS for at least to 2035, and the richest man in the world lives here

4. Our zoo, which is already one of the best in the world, will be able to expand from the Roosenblatt land we could get pandas

5. The Qwest Center attracts some of the best acts in the country and is in the top 10 for ticket sales

6. We have some of the best restaurants in the country and we have a perfect combination of locale and chains

7. We are building an amazing pedestrian bridge across the Missouri River to Council Bluffs both sides of the bridge will be extremely nice.

Last edited by Raphael07; 05-09-2008 at 02:51 PM..

Old 05-09-2008, 04:52 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
Good restaurants and Pandas make Omaha significant for the future?
hmm... I would've never guessed... oh well...
congrats to Omaha!

Old 05-09-2008, 05:26 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,438 times
Currently Omaha has about 850k in its metro, and they expect 2 million in 20 years? It sounds like it will be a sprawling mess. Where are these people moving from?

I also respectfully disagree that Texas will be the next California. It is completely different. It doesn't have the good weather or the beaches. People just move there for the cheap cost of living, which is the opposite of why people move to California. I think it will be/currently is more like Arizona or Nevada.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:21 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Currently Omaha has about 850k in its metro, and they expect 2 million in 20 years? It sounds like it will be a sprawling mess. Where are these people moving from?

I also respectfully disagree that Texas will be the next California. It is completely different. It doesn't have the good weather or the beaches. People just move there for the cheap cost of living, which is the opposite of why people move to California. I think it will be/currently is more like Arizona or Nevada.
Good weather is relative. I happen to find California's weather (as well as Texas) boring. I like seasons but I do agree with the beaches. But South Padre Island is no slouch and is becoming a destination for College Students now and is starting to become more and more residential and popular by the coming years.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:36 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,438 times
I agree, I don't like socals weather, but I love the weather in northern California, especially on the coast.

Obviously Texas has beaches, but they don't have the beach culture that California has. All of their major cities are inland except Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.