Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2021, 02:28 PM

533 posts, read 485,218 times

Advertisements

We are in New York and looking to move to another state (most likely Texas, and there are other nice states too).

We will travel by car.

My Uncle point blank said, "Think! What if one of us dies while we are moving. How will you handle it?"

My relatives are seasoned citizens, they can only do so much.

So far I googled and got the following:

https://www.goodsamtravelassist.com/...-during-travel

When someone dies in another state or country, the survivor should expect to spend a lot of time dealing with paperwork. Death certificates must be obtained at the location of death and depending on the circumstances, could take a while to be issued. If an autopsy is deemed necessary, generating an autopsy report will take even more time.

A body can’t cross state lines until a funeral director or medical examiner signs the proper burial-transit permit.

By the way, we cremate in our custom.

Last edited by Priya36; 04-25-2021 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 03:55 PM

9,366 posts, read 14,175,776 times
Seems straightforward. The deceased will have gone to the local hospital. The paperwork starts there.

Old 04-25-2021, 05:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,167,300 times
My husband died out of state. It took four days to get his body here. The medical examiner did a quick autopsy (no sign of foul play - death looked and was of natural causes), then the funeral home went and picked up his body (7 hour drive one way). His body had to be either embalmed or cremated before they would transport it. He was buried on the 6th day. We had the visitation on the 5th day. He looked fine.

We had an open casket but then he was cremated.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband died out of state. It took four days to get his body here. The medical examiner did a quick autopsy (no sign of foul play - death looked and was of natural causes), then the funeral home went and picked up his body (7 hour drive one way). His body had to be either embalmed or cremated before they would transport it. He was buried on the 6th day. We had the visitation on the 5th day. He looked fine.

We had an open casket but then he was cremated.
I am sorry to hear about you. I cannot imagine the hell you have gone through, and are still going through. People like you are in my prayers.

Thank you for answering my question.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,167,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post
I am sorry to hear about you. I cannot imagine the hell you have gone through, and are still going through. People like you are in my prayers.

Thank you for answering my question.
Thank you - It's been a terrible year for me but things are slowly feeling more normal.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Seems straightforward. The deceased will have gone to the local hospital. The paperwork starts there.
You are right, it is straightforward, it is all about paperwork (and I heard there are lots of it).

I am being forced to confront this real possibility because my family can on longer live in this state.

When person is thrown into hell, nothing seems straightforward. I will be aware of nearby hospitals that hopefully we never have to visit.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you - It's been a terrible year for me but things are slowly feeling more normal.
God Bless You.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.