Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 07:33 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times

Advertisements

There's a reason why the Bay Area still gets 10x the venture capital of anywhere else despite the incredibly high business costs. You put your business where it has the competitive advantage. You're not going to put a low margin warehousing business in Palo Alto. You're not going to put an mRNA biotech startup in Jacksonville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 07:57 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
The one big issue as far as I'm concerted is the Power Grid debacle from February. THAT needs to be resolved asap.
Property taxes are becoming an issue too as home prices start to skyrocket.

Anecdotally, I know of several people who were strongly considering DFW and then got sticker shock when they saw what their tax burden would be.

I suspect this is the main reason why growth in Phoenix is picking up steam.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:54 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Property taxes are becoming an issue too as home prices start to skyrocket.

Anecdotally, I know of several people who were strongly considering DFW and then got sticker shock when they saw what their tax burden would be.

I suspect this is the main reason why growth in Phoenix is picking up steam.
This is why I suspect the shine is going to come off DFW in the next decade or so. It'll still grow, but not as quickly, once people realize it's not a bargain anymore. Why pay a premium to live in an area that looks like Kansas when you can live in Kansas and not pay the premium? What's the entry point for Phrisceaux now? $500k? That's a $10,000 property tax bill and probably close to $2000 a year for insurance. Plus in order to go anywhere you'll have to hop on a toll road so add another $1000 a year in tolls. If I were a fully-remote worker, places like DFW and Houston would be at the bottom of my list for home base cities.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:19 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
This is why I suspect the shine is going to come off DFW in the next decade or so. It'll still grow, but not as quickly, once people realize it's not a bargain anymore. Why pay a premium to live in an area that looks like Kansas when you can live in Kansas and not pay the premium? What's the entry point for Phrisceaux now? $500k? That's a $10,000 property tax bill and probably close to $2000 a year for insurance. Plus in order to go anywhere you'll have to hop on a toll road so add another $1000 a year in tolls. If I were a fully-remote worker, places like DFW and Houston would be at the bottom of my list for home base cities.
Very true.

Property Taxes are definitely soaring in TX as well as having a rate of over 2% avg

Old 05-05-2021, 09:46 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
There is no tax low enough for CEOs, they want everything for free and don't mind demanding tax breaks from states and cities and then doing everything they can to not pay a single penny back in the form of taxes. Some states bend over backwards to provide all out corporate welfare---and they bring these jobs to your state but you charge no state income tax, so what exactly is the benefit to you? I dont get it. You get a bunch of Californians moving there with their California equity outbidding your locals, driving up home prices, clogging your freeways, etc.,

But whatever, if that's what you think makes you important, then you do you. LOL

I was in Utah last week and met with a really close friend of mine who is the CEO of one of Utah's biggest homegrown tech companies, and even he conceded to me that the state's desire to attract high tech, while good for population and job growth, has really made housing unaffordable for so many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.