Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 07:19 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,632,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Loving County in Texas has like 170 people
It's experiencing a population boom out there. In 2010 there was only 82 people. I wonder if they've started belly aching about all the newcomers yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 07:23 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,273,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Loving County in Texas has like 170 people
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
sounds like they need some more loving.

This is good lol.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:41 PM

9,379 posts, read 20,825,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
New York State

Least populous county in New York (and in the entire eastern half of the USA! https://www.ny.gov/counties/hamilton )

Hamilton County in the Adirondacks/North Country
Population 4,836
Density 2.67 people per square mile

Most populous

Kings County - Brooklyn - one of the 5 boroughs of NYC
Population 2,504,700
Density 35,000* people per square mile

* rough estimate
I have been fascinated with this area for a while, have been all around this county, just never in it. One would wonder why it is so sparse. Probably because it lies almost entirely in Adirondack Park. But then again, Essex County NY does as well and it is quite a bit more populated.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:55 PM

13,679 posts, read 7,988,457 times
Since I have two home states, I'll do both.

In Florida where I grew up, the least populous county is Liberty County in the panhandle. It has a little over 8,000 people and is located on the eastern side of the Apalachicola River, which is also the divider between the Eastern and Central Time Zones. Liberty County is a beautiful place. It's mostly wooded with little open land. Most of the agriculture is planted pine trees. Liberty Co is also home to a very unique state park. It's home to a very rare species of pine called the Torreya Pine that only grows in that immediate area. The park is set on the bluffs overlooking the aforementioned river and has some spectacular views (by Florida standards).

In my current home state of Alabama, the least populous county is Greene with around 9,000 people. It's located southwest of Tuscaloosa in the Black Belt region. It's also one of the poorest counties in the state, though its county seat, Eutaw, has evidence of its more prosperous past in some of its well-maintained historic homes. It's mostly known for its catfish farms and its gambling facility (Greenetrack) that has been the source of a lot of local controversy.

I've been to both.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:05 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,273,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I have been fascinated with this area for a while, have been all around this county, just never in it. One would wonder why it is so sparse. Probably because it lies almost entirely in Adirondack Park. But then again, Essex County NY does as well and it is quite a bit more populated.
Hamilton County has part of Indian Lake I think but otherwise I think it is one of the quieter areas of the Adirondack Park (the Adirondack Park is the size of Vermont or New Hampshire and so is multi-county). I do not know much about Hamilton either.

Essex however is one of my favorite counties. Home to some of the High Peaks and some lakes and towns (like Lake Placid), it is one of the Adirondacks tourist regions. Essex also borders Lake Champlain. Plus I-87 the Adirondack Northway provides good access between Montreal and Albany.

https://www.adirondacknorthway.com/

Old 06-16-2021, 08:24 PM

16,571 posts, read 10,672,468 times
I'm glad I looked it up before I responded. All this time, I thought that Maryland's least-populous county was Garrett County, at the far western end of the state. But nope, it's actually in third place. Coming in first, as in least populous, is Kent County, on the Eastern Shore, with about 20,000 residents. Of Maryland's 23 counties (plus Baltimore City, which is a county equivalent), Kent is the one and only one that I've never once stepped foot in. I really need to rectify this oversight.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:27 PM

16,571 posts, read 10,672,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Cimarron County in Oklahoma, pop. 2137. At the west end of the panhandle it's as remote and sparsely populated as it gets in Oklahoma. Trump won there in 2020 by 92%, and there is a highway named after him.

The biggest town there is Boise City, barely over a 1000 in population. It peaked out when the Great Depression started at 5.408.
Cimarron County has the dubious distinction of being the epicenter of the Dust Bowl. The famous picture of the farmer and his two young sons walking next to their house through a dust storm was taken there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_Bowl

Old 06-16-2021, 08:31 PM

8,805 posts, read 10,258,386 times
Looked up South Carolina and it's Allendale County, first I've heard of the place I think. The 2nd least populated is McCormick, just up the Savannah River but is closer to Augusta, GA. Doesn't seem to benefit from the area though like Aiken County.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:39 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,357,232 times
In Pennsylvania, it's Cameron County, not founded until the 1860s and named for Simon Cameron -- a prominent politician of the day. It has only three townships and one borough (Pennsylvanian for "town") -- the county seat of Emporium. County population is about 5000, with 1750 (950 households) in the Borough of Emporium.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-16-2021 at 10:04 PM..

Old 06-16-2021, 09:45 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,244,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Harding County, New Mexico, has been losing population since New Mexico attained statehood. It's in the northeastern portion of the state, close to Colorado and Oklahoma. In 2019, it's estimated population 625. It was 695 in the 2010 census. The county is slightly over 2,000 square miles, or larger than Delaware, which claims just under a million in the 2020 census.

For you Delawareans, if you threw everyone out of Delaware except for those residents in Arden Village, and threw them out, then asked those in Arden Village to spread out around Delaware and settle, you would re-capture what life is like in Harding County, New Mexico.
that is crazy. i had to pull it up on google maps just to see it. looks like there are 3 small towns, but i couldn't even find a county courthouse (maybe there just isn't a need for one?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.