Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 06:54 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times

Advertisements

I have never found a high density city to be appealing. The only one I felt good about is Minneapolis. The rest are disasters for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 01:52 PM

26 posts, read 151,662 times
Not single anymore, but I love Chicago (check the screen name). Still relatively low cost for a large city, has arts, culture, the lake, clubs, restaurants, it's clean, with a wide variety of people to meet and places to live.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:13 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Some where in Florida.. Or someplace near a large college known for party girls.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:59 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
After visiting Toronto, ON, Toronto. That is an awesome city. Or maybe London, UK.

In the US, I think I'd go with Chicago or Portland, OR.

I don't know how Portland is today, but I lived there in 1973-74 and it was a nice town...and nice people as well. I left there and moved to San Diego, what a mistake that was. Portland just got a little more rain than I like, rained nearly every day there.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:16 AM

647 posts, read 2,083,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
what city or area would you pick to live near, that has culture, people and social things to do, and why?.

sunny.
Sunny, if I was single, I'd probably want to live in a suburb of a larger southern city like Atlanta, Jacksonville, Nashville, or Birmingham. Not living in the city, but close enough to where I could get to anything the bigger city offers. But, I'm biased in favor of the south since I've lived in this region my whole life.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:00 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
If i were single, i'd be a globe-trotter living like a glorified transient!
I second that, love to see what Italy is like!

Old 01-08-2007, 12:50 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,620 times
Cool Single in the City

Ok, since I have to choose a city--definitely NYC. Nothing is better than NY; a city that literally does not sleep. With the fine dining, great bars and clubs and the large amount of men in all flavors. You could party all the way up until 6 am and find establishments open all night. Fried catfish and cheese grits is the perfect meal to eat before heading home.

Not only the nightlife--the city is definitely diverse for living. You have neighborhoods that have a great culture and history. Having a car is not a requirement, with transit running 24 hours a day.

However, if I were in business for myself it would definitely be the Bahamas. Never have I been totally taken with the Caribbean. Trust me I've been to a couple of the islands. The Bahamas is so cool, low key, but sexually enchanting as well. Population is still under 300,000 people. Imagine catching fresh seafood and being able to cook it within minutes. The weather is tolerable and the people have a real soul.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:42 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Some good posts here- it's nice to hear positive things about big cities- keep answers coming please!

Old 01-10-2007, 02:49 PM
JPT

16 posts, read 46,690 times
You might also consider the small communities of New Castle County, Delaware as an option. The area is relatively small and secluded with many quiet communities, yet it lies approximately half way between Washington, D.C., and NYC (2 hour drive to each) with Baltimore (1.5 hour drive) and Philadelphia (45 min. drive). You would be within reach of arguably the largest concentration of cultural ammenities in the country, not to mention Delaware has no sales tax - shopping mania!, and lower cost of living (compared to neighboring NJ-NY-PA). It also has beautiful beaches in the southern part of the state that are quite popular in the summer.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:59 PM

612 posts, read 2,778,712 times
Ft. Lauderdale. I lived in Miami for a few years but worked in Ft. Lauderdale and it meshed much more with this northern, English speaking girl.

Great weather, lots to do and the beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.